shefcanary

Gilmour - very disappointing

Just now, valiant said:

if we had any sort of strength in depth I'd argue we'd be better off letting him go back to Chelsea in January so we can get away from the media hype surrounding him

Why does the hype matter? You can absolutely bet that Smith, Gilmour and Norwich as a club absolutely block it out because they’ll know from many a good young player, that the hype can ruin a career before it gets started.

The hype is basically other people’s opinions of how he’ll do. I don’t really see why he should have to live up to other peoples daft expectations and why he gets judged on them.

Focus and judge him on how he plays for Norwich. He’s basically a young player trying to improve like all of the others here and whilst last night wasn’t his best, he’s been pretty good the games he’s had under Smith so far and I reckon showed why he’s at least worth a place in the team.

Personally, judging him on the game last night when he had plenty of space and time on the ball, he looked poor and offered nothing to really help us trying to open up a defensive Newcastle lineup after they went down to 10 men.  Surely that's when a quality player should be able to give you something extra ?

If people want to decide it was somehow all other players' fault that's up to them, but I'm judging on what I saw and I felt he was a major disappointment and if he deserves a place, it's only because of a lack of alternatives who are good enough, which doesn't bode well.

Judging him by all games he has played for us, he's average. Not any better or worse than the rest of our team. Can see an argument in playing him or dropping him. To me, that alone shows he is not as good as people think. Has a decent highlight reel but on overall play, just average.

Gilmour’s performance last night vindicated Farke’s decision not to play him.

For somebody who has plenty to prove, and with plenty of space to perform, he was thoroughly disappointing..

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, unique said:

Gilmour’s performance last night vindicated Farke’s decision not to play him.

For somebody who has plenty to prove, and with plenty of space to perform, he was thoroughly disappointing..

Gilmour’s performance last night vindicated Farke’s decision not to play him.

🤣🤣🤣🤡

Anyone remember  JOSH MCEACHRAN, another chelsea wonder kid   , I think he's a mk dons now , Gilmour will end up with a similar career,  he's not terrible but he's definitely not Premier league or championship , we had the perfect playmaker in midfield but decided to sell him to Villa .

I'm going to hold back my criticism of Billy and the team as a whole for this game.  No one has mentioned that we played our hearts out only 36 hours before against Wolves in probably our best half of the season. Against Newcastle, the team looked gassed almost from the start.  Hindsight 20/20 but Dean probably should have subbed in Giannoulis and put Idah in for Sargent earlier, if only for fresh legs.  Given a full week of recovery from Wolves, I like to think we would have been much energetic and with a man advantage gotten all 3 points.

• Like 1

He is a talented player, he does not look as exciting or talented as Wiltshire or Mount did at the same age. 

He's not exactly billy big time and never will be , although to be fair to him , he looked really good against Dan Marino and the faroe islands.,

• Haha 1

It's really concerning that people see the game this way, Billy is the best midfielder we have, he is the only one who can play a quick pass, unfortunately the rest of the midfield is dreadful, go watch the game back, he was the only one who would play a ball quickly, watch Rupp and Kenny and you will see the difference, unfortunately he is surrounded by players not on the same wave length. I hope Normann is back asap and Melou starts 

Edited by Jsim1986

Gilmour suffered as our wide men weren't on it and Williams kept cutting back inside. Yes, Pukki's movement is always very good, but against ten men they'll always really batten the hatches down the middle so there's less space to find him in. Could argue to a lesser extent that Rupp, Tzolis and McLean suffered for a similar reason.

The idea of playing the diamond at half-time was actually OK in theory, it failed in practice as we did absolutely sod-all from wide areas to put pressure on a compact, central block and we only looked likely to get going when Giannoulis came on to give us a left-peg option on the left flank who drives for the bye-line. In doing that, it opens their block up and creates space for those coming in down the middle.

Edited by TheGunnShow

In his favour he takes a far better corner than Emi ever did. Although that’s a pretty low bar.

Edited by Nuff Said

Should have offered super mario vrancic a one year extension, he knew how to thread a decent ball through and also shoot from range, game was crying out for that. Granted he wouldn't start every week but horses for courses. 

4 minutes ago, hurricane said:

Should have offered super mario vrancic a one year extension, he knew how to thread a decent ball through and also shoot from range, game was crying out for that. Granted he wouldn't start every week but horses for courses. 

Yeah completely agree with this , he had that bit of magic which we lack at this moment , unless one of our new signings goes on to show this.

On 01/12/2021 at 22:41, kendo581 said:

I'm going to hold back my criticism of Billy and the team as a whole for this game.  No one has mentioned that we played our hearts out only 36 hours before against Wolves in probably our best half of the season. Against Newcastle, the team looked gassed almost from the start.  Hindsight 20/20 but Dean probably should have subbed in Giannoulis and put Idah in for Sargent earlier, if only for fresh legs.  Given a full week of recovery from Wolves, I like to think we would have been much energetic and with a man advantage gotten all 3 points.

This. It is so obvious they were exhausted, even mentally. They looked sluggish and very little creativity. Just couldn't make it happen. We lost two of our best performers in Rashica and Normann too.

We should take comfort in that this was the second time we came back from losing position. We muddled our way to 1 point in away game. It's ok.

On 02/12/2021 at 12:21, hurricane said:

Can see where you're coming from but how many times are we likely to have a game like that over a Prem season? 

On 01/12/2021 at 08:13, It's Character Forming said:

Yep this was the biggest disappointment for me. Gilmour had plenty of time & space with the ball and frankly I thought Rupp looked better.

Plus his stupidity in giving away the pen - why does any professional jump with his arm up like that, surely they should learn not to? I noticed Shearer having a real go at their player who was sent off (just like a home fan in fact) but I didn’t hear any criticism from him of Gilmour for something equally stupid.

The centrebacks a long time ago developed a professional stance of hands tucked in out of the way behind the back  not when jumping for corners but in other risky situations. Should be a standard part of any professionally coached player, regardless of what position they play

On 02/12/2021 at 12:21, hurricane said:

Thing is, we had Dowell on the bench who could have been brought on at any time to add the creativity. Smith stuck with the workhorses

On 01/12/2021 at 20:41, kendo581 said:

Did Newcastle not have a game at the weekend then? And was it not 72 hours rather than 36? Thought the Wolves game was 3pm Saturday, not 8am Monday?

Edited by The Great Mass Debater
  • Haha 1

On 02/12/2021 at 00:15, Canary dwarf said:

He's not exactly billy big time and never will be , although to be fair to him , he looked really good against Dan Marino and the faroe islands.,

Dan Marino? I'm not surprised he looked good against the Miami Dolphins 😀

Harry Kane wasn't that good on loan to us either, whatever happened to him?

I suspect Billy will win more things in his career with better players around him than the rest of our squad put together.

At the moment he is part of a bang average midfield.

• Haha 1

On 01/12/2021 at 17:18, All the Germans said:

Judging him by all games he has played for us, he's average. Not any better or worse than the rest of our team. Can see an argument in playing him or dropping him. To me, that alone shows he is not as good as people think. Has a decent highlight reel but on overall play, just average.

He is not undroppable. He proved that under Farke

On 30/11/2021 at 23:22, Canary Jedi said:

How dare you! He is the media darling, we are so lucky to have him and should bask in his glory! 😉

Yeah he's a proper player, he plays for Chelsea dont you know?! That automatically makes him our best player. In fact, we're so beneath him, he doesnt even need to prove his superiority every week

• Haha 1

On 01/12/2021 at 10:19, Google Bot said:

In hindsight Placheta for Tzolis or Sargent may have been a better option? 

I suggested Placheta on the match thread. A very limited footballer, but the most likely to stretch them

On 02/12/2021 at 11:19, Nuff Said said:

I’m his favour he takes a far better corner than Emi ever did. Although that’s a pretty low bar.

Yep, never understood why we let Emi take the corners - it was far and away the worst facet of his game.

• Like 1

On 02/12/2021 at 00:15, Canary dwarf said:

Not many people looked good against Dan Marino, apart from the Denver Broncos.