shefcanary

Gilmour - very disappointing

If ever a game was set up for Gilmour to shine, this was it.  Surely with all the space afforded him from playing 10 men, he could demonstrate his skills.  But no, sideways passing galore.  And don't tell me it was because of lack of support from his team mates.  If any match demonstrated that Gilmour can't cut it, it was this one.  He will remain an enigma..

Unless Smith sorts him out .....

• Like 1

Has been every time he's played really. Only plays easy passes, doesn't take on a player, set up Newcastle's goal.

Overrated. Webber has failed with both our PL loans this season. And that's a big thing for a relegation threatened club.

Edited by canarydan23

Just now, canarydan23 said:

Overrated. Webber has failed with both our PL loans this season. And that's a big thing for a relegation threatened club.

Williams has been okay. Not quite as good a footballer as Giannoulis but adds a lot to the team in terms of  grit and attude.

19 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

If ever a game was set up for Gilmour to shine, this was it.  Surely with all the space afforded him from playing 10 men, he could demonstrate his skills.  But no, sideways passing galore.  And don't tell me it was because of lack of support from his team mates.  If any match demonstrated that Gilmour can't cut it, it was this one.  He will remain an enigma..

How dare you! He is the media darling, we are so lucky to have him and should bask in his glory! 😉

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Yep this was the biggest disappointment for me. Gilmour had plenty of time & space with the ball and frankly I thought Rupp looked better.

Plus his stupidity in giving away the pen - why does any professional jump with his arm up like that, surely they should learn not to? I noticed Shearer having a real go at their player who was sent off (just like a home fan in fact) but I didn’t hear any criticism from him of Gilmour for something equally stupid.

I thought he played ok but when you have zero attacking runners to hit because you have that midfield alongside you it can’t be easy. We have the same problem at present with Rupp back in the side as we did at times early on in the champ season which is that both he and Gilmour like to play the same short passes and take an extra touch at times. It was only once we went to Kenny abd Skipp last season that we became more dynamic and stopped slowing the play down too much. 

• Like 1

A poor mans Tom Trybull. That could get old very quick mind. 
A more serious point is that he has now played more for Norwich than for both Chelsea and Scotland. Norwich fans are now the Gilmour experts rather than pundits who have seen him play once.

There is no doubting he has a wonderful technique he just needs to do more on and off the ball and with set pieces hopefully for all are sakes this will come this season.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I thought he played ok but when you have zero attacking runners to hit because you have that midfield alongside you it can’t be easy. We have the same problem at present with Rupp back in the side as we did at times early on in the champ season which is that both he and Gilmour like to play the same short passes and take an extra touch at times. It was only once we went to Kenny abd Skipp last season that we became more dynamic and stopped slowing the play down too much. 

Hmm I disagree with this a bit any team playing Pukki  upfront has by default good movement to hit.

• Like 1

Gilmour is good but he's no where near as good as Chelsea or Scotland fans would have you believe.

• Like 2

I've not seen him do anything that Mortiz Leitner couldn't and he comes with the same weaknesses as well. He is just about good enough to start for us as I think he's about on par with Mclean and Rupp but he's so overrated from the outside it's unbelievable. Yes those occasional long passes look good, but Leitner could pull those off as well and with about the same success rate.

I'm not saying bring back Leitner either by the way, I just think that's the level of player he is and Leitner was about as highly rated in Germany at around the same age also playing in Champions league games. I would send him back in Jan and loan in a young defensive midfielder to allow Normann to play a bit higher 

• Like 1

We don't have any pure defensive midfielders and no out and attacking ones. All of them are one dimensional plodders, including Gilmour.

The exception is the injury prone Normann.

But you do realise he is second only to Pukki in the BBC match ratings.

Says a lot for the people who cast their votes, I suspect a lot of them are Scots and Chelsea supporters who didn't see the game. 

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

Gilmour, Normann and McLean by far our best midfield options. Gilmour needs time. Was great against Wolves. Apart from Pukki and Gibson whole team was pants last night.

• Like 2

Certainly looked better with Normann alongside and then a possessed Rupp last time out, this time Rupp & McLean back to their ways of not picking up their players, not pressing, moving the ball slowly and sidewards, when Lees came on we played even slower, for 20 minutes Newcastle looked more likely to score so no surprise when they did!

We needed that steel in midfield we got it in the form of Normann but he’s as brittle as cold iron has a long term hip issue which doesn’t look like it’s going to go away, shame as he’s just the player to galvanise our play.

Can’t be too hard on Gilmour, Sargent or Tzolis those balls out of Gibson and Hanley were terrible, I can’t say one long range pass wasn’t over hit or made our players, the play through the midfield was so slow. 
I couldn’t understand why at half time when we were getting zero joy through the centre of Newcastle and we needed more width Smith took off a winger for another midfielder, just utterly played into Newcastle strength!

Billy constantly wants the ball, and it's almost to a fault.  After the red, Newcastle went very compact and he was stepping back deeper and gesturing for it in order to pick the ball up and get things moving.   But then in possession his only option was to go sideways, which you should be doing to open them up unless you're willing to give possession away.

It's one thing to have space in midfield, but when you're playing balls into packed spaces it's a whole lot tougher.  We should've been stretching Newcastle better out wide and we really missed Rashica in that sense. 

In hindsight Placheta for Tzolis or Sargent may have been a better option?  Felt we concentrated on the right side too much, and didn't really make use of Tzolis first half.  Gibson had a few chances to feed the ball out to the left but just didn't see them.

Truth is, if Lees-Melou tucked home we'd all be sat here raving at how well we controlled the game for large portions.  I think Gilmour was doing the right things, personally, constantly trying to keep the ball moving, and not afraid of squaring up to the likes of Shelvey.

• Like 1

Over reaction here regards Billy G, after one poor performance in a poor performance by the whole team.  Needs the rest of our midfield to perform, Rupp and Kenny back to their old ways.  Will need Gilmour as a class act if we are going to survive. 

• Like 1

Billy's the future....but not for us.....Feed him on Guinness and Porterhouse steaks everyday. In training give him regular weightlifting and maybe harness a tractor tyre to his upper torso and make him pull it with shuttle runs 20 times the width of the pitch.....

Same with Todd.....if and when?.....

I don't think he was all that bad tbh. He's definitely got better since Smith put him back in the side. He misses having Normann in there with him I think

He's not bad, but hardly the boy wonder that he is purported to be by the game's luvvie fraternity.

Even if he were one of our own I wouldn't be frothing at the mouth and talking zillions from the transfer market.

I wouldn't rule out his loan period being re-considered by Dean Smith in favour of a more attacking option like Eddie Nketiah from the Gunners, but perhaps he needs a few more games under his belt in fairness.

One way or another, and I'm thinking back upon some glaring mistakes, both our loan options have cost us dearly points wise. It's the problem with nurturing young talent from the same division,  they are gaining experience at our expense.

Not many loan options are as good for us as was Ollie Skipp, but that was in the Chumps.

Edited by BroadstairsR

He's okay but nothing more than that. I've seen worse players in yellow and green but certainly seen better too. Ultimately he is not going to be the player the media thinks he is going to be and I can say that with a fair degree of certainty. His level is about a team like us... good champs, struggling prem. Not a guaranteed starter by any stretch and he couldn't complain if he was dropped for the next match really. Equally, neither could McLean or Rupp.

Feels like one of those players that only tends to play well when he's playing alongside good players in a strong team.. Then again that would not explain why he's so good for Scotland

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

Gilmour is a class act... can not believe we are writing him off after two games!!!

If in 10-15 games he has not performed then ok... told Iwan Roberts a whole season to come good ffs!

14 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Gilmour is on -1 assists for the season now isnt he? Our best player my *rse

No - no he's not. Hanley headed in his corner against Southampton. It was also Gilmour's excellent cross which indirectly led to our goal last night. I understand why some people on here get frustrated by the hype about him from Scotland and Chelsea fans but he's clearly going to be a very good player. The problem of course is that he's only 19 and not the finished article yet. 

13 hours ago, KeiranShikari said:

Williams has been okay. Not quite as good a footballer as Giannoulis but adds a lot to the team in terms of  grit and attude.

Personally I am happy with the Williams loan. He is good at the things Giannoulis is not so good at, and vice versa, so I feel it gives us options according to the nature of the opponents and the situation of the game.

Gilmour is a mystery to me. For a while I thought he felt he was slumming it and not putting the effort in, but I can't fault his effort over the last three games. Horses for courses, I guess - players can be great in one team and poor in another. He still has time to come good, though.

5 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

No - no he's not. Hanley headed in his corner against Southampton. It was also Gilmour's excellent cross which indirectly led to our goal last night. I understand why some people on here get frustrated by the hype about him from Scotland and Chelsea fans but he's clearly going to be a very good player. The problem of course is that he's only 19 and not the finished article yet. 

6 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

and surrounded by less than great players... Messi would have struggled with our team last night

I think our whole midfield was disappointing last night. Tried too many times to go through the middle. A team down to 10 men protects the middle first and we played into their hands.

I think Gilmour can play but hasn't looked outstanding yet. And I am more than happy with Williams and would like us to sign him permanently.

if we had any sort of strength in depth I'd argue we'd be better off letting him go back to Chelsea in January so we can get away from the media hype surrounding him