Sign in to follow this  
Hank shoots Skyler

What were trying to do with our substitutions / switches?

Genuine question. Taking off a wide player and bringing on another centre mid at half time. Putting Sargent up top when he’s been awful every time next to Pukki, narrowing the midfield further as a result. Leaving on an inverted full back at left back for 75 mins. Not bringing on players to potentially find a killer final ball such as Dowell.

I know we were struggling for options given we sorely miss Normann, Cantwell and especially Rashica after his recent performances, but all of those choices feel a bit counter productive do they not? 

Would’ve been good to see us try the f*ck it Daniel Farke 3 at the back formation we saw often in the championship when we needed a goal, Giannoulis and Aarons starting higher up the pitch and hugging the touchline with a license to get forwards, Idah up next to Pukki and Dowell in the middle. Or at the very least simply keeping wide players on the pitch so it stays big.

This isn’t intended as an insult at Smith I’m just not sure what the plan was tonight?

• Like 1

Yeah, this provoked a few confused reactions in the match thread. I'm guessing the plan was two up top with the full backs pushing on to provide the width, but it didn't look the right decision at the time and I don't think it was in hindsight, either. 

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

13 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Genuine question. Taking off a wide player and bringing on another centre mid at half time. Putting Sargent up top when he’s been awful every time next to Pukki, narrowing the midfield further as a result. Leaving on an inverted full back at left back for 75 mins. Not bringing on players to potentially find a killer final ball such as Dowell.

I know we were struggling for options given we sorely miss Normann, Cantwell and especially Rashica after his recent performances, but all of those choices feel a bit counter productive do they not? 

Would’ve been good to see us try the f*ck it Daniel Farke 3 at the back formation we saw often in the championship when we needed a goal, Giannoulis and Aarons starting higher up the pitch and hugging the touchline with a license to get forwards, Idah up next to Pukki and Dowell in the middle. Or at the very least simply keeping wide players on the pitch so it stays big.

This isn’t intended as an insult at Smith I’m just not sure what the plan was tonight?

Could have at least given him some credit for the Giannoulis substitution which saw him whip that cross in for Pukki to bury?

Just now, TeemuVanBasten said:

Could have at least given him some credit for the Giannoulis substitution which saw him whip that cross in for Pukki to bury?

It was absolutely the right sub. I just don’t understand why it took so long to happen?