Sign in to follow this  
Ian

Perspective Required?

12 minutes ago, WD40 said:

You said (paraphrasing) I was being overly negative for calling out a bizarre use of the term ‘turned over’. Let’s agree it is an exaggeration to suggest we turned over Brentford and Southampton. 

I was suggesting you were being a bit miserable for picking up on my arguably over zealous use of a two word phrase.

Feeds into my point about perspective though, so I'll take that at least.

12 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Seems to be a similar divide on here as there was after the Leicester game.

No, not at all the same. We are on an unbeaten run of four games, we got a point and stopped a rival winning.

It what universe is that the same

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ian said:

I was suggesting you were being a bit miserable for picking up on my arguably over zealous use of a two word phrase.

Feeds into my point about perspective though, so I'll take that at least.

If that helps you think it validates your point in any way, good for you pal

3 minutes ago, BigFish said:

No, not at all the same. We are on an unbeaten run of four games, we got a point and stopped a rival winning.

It what universe is that the same

Yes and Leicester play in a blue kit and Newcastle play in black and white stripes so how is it the same - what a stupid comparison by me?! Seriously though I qualified the rest of my post very clearly and I’m not sure why you are bringing form into it? Are we not allowed to talk about performances or games in isolation?

I explained in the rest of my post how I felt the game situations were similar, and at the end there are fans who feel it was a good / acceptable result because it’s what they expected or would’ve taken before the game, and those fans (like me) who are unhappy with the result based on the circumstances of the game.

I was unhappy we didn’t get a point at least against Leicester because they were bang out of form, had an injury crisis, and were awful on the day.

I was unhappy tonight because the sending off presented us to a glorious chance to win.

Other posters however aren’t disheartened by either match / result because it’s what they were expecting before the game situation was known.

What has that got to do with form?

Just now, WD40 said:

If that helps you think it validates your point in any way, good for you pal

I'm going to be honest pal, I don't think I've ever had any idea what point you are actually trying to make, so if you can clarify it I would genuinely appreciate it.

In the interim pal, I will try and ensure that next time I make an off-the-cuff post on the Pink'Un, I use the perfect level of enthusiastic phrase to ensure it doesn't offend the sensibilities of a passive aggressive tin can.

Pal, please accept my sincerest apologies for inappropriately using the phrase "turned over" as opposed to "unexpectedly won". I'll be sure to learn from this experience.

10 minutes ago, Ian said:

I'm going to be honest pal, I don't think I've ever had any idea what point you are actually trying to make, so if you can clarify it I would genuinely appreciate it.

In the interim pal, I will try and ensure that next time I make an off-the-cuff post on the Pink'Un, I use the perfect level of enthusiastic phrase to ensure it doesn't offend the sensibilities of a passive aggressive tin can.

Pal, please accept my sincerest apologies for inappropriately using the phrase "turned over" as opposed to "unexpectedly won". I'll be sure to learn from this experience.

Haha the length of that. Rattled. 

27 minutes ago, Ian said:

It's a league, not a cup match. Newcastle are not going to be thankful for getting a point tonight that is for sure.

I agree. I don’t think we are too far apart here, we are just looking at it from different angles. I guess you could say it’s a bad result for both sides really.

Before the game they needed the win more than we did yes, but it was certainly a must not lose game for us. However, having lost a man on 10 mins I personally think it becomes a game we should look to win, and a must-not-lose for them if they can hold on.  

I will agree with you that it’s a worse result for them in the context of the league. But that doesn’t give me much comfort at all as we still desperately need points and have a tougher run of games coming up. It’s not a good result for us and will probably be the first result I look at if we fall short on staying up by 2 points.

• Like 1

Look, the bottom line is, we made Joelinton look comfortable, nay, a world beater as a defensive midfielder.

We were **** tonight, end of.

12 hours ago, Ian said:

Despite being rubbish tonight we still seem to be able to come back into games and not resign ourselves to losses every time we go behind.

The next few games will be interesting on that score. Under Farke you'd have fancied us to lose comfortably to Spurs, United and West Ham. If Smith can find a way to make us competitive in those games then all is not lost. 

I think a certain amount of frustration is appropriate after last night. It was a missed opportunity, no doubt. But we had no points after six games and only two after eight. Even to be in the relegation conversation now is way better than I was expecting a month ago. But to have real hope we need to pick up some points from top-half teams...

Talking of perspective..I know its not quite the same circumstances but ten man Brighton equalise late away at West Ham.

Shows that not conceding and winning against ten men is not a foregone conclusion. Yes we were rubbish most of the game but imagine the meltdown on here if we'd been leading most of the game and allowed them to score towards the end. 

• Like 1

The through ball to Pukki is a key part of our play. As soon as they lost a defender for the most part of the game they set up in such a way that our Option 1 was not on. I’m not surprised by our “hangover “ after the efforts against Wolves. The positive was Smith & Co finding a way through tactics and substitutions to secure a point FROM A LOSING POSITION!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, graz said:

Talking of perspective..I know its not quite the same circumstances but ten man Brighton equalise late away at West Ham.

Shows that not conceding and winning against ten men is not a foregone conclusion. Yes we were rubbish most of the game but imagine the meltdown on here if we'd been leading most of the game and allowed them to score towards the end. 

And to add to perspective the clubs that are in the positions above us and we must overtake couldn't manage a win either so whilst we could/should have been 2 points better off we havent lost position on the others - in fact we gain a point on Villa

Tis the season to be jolly......

On 30/11/2021 at 22:48, Numan said:

I don't know what that means but if it is an insult I suggest you turn it back on yourself.

Might have been worth looking it up on wiki before replying (no, I didn't know what it meant either). Bit of a shame, because I would have agreed otherwise.

Just seen your apology. Well done. Personally find it's worth checking on a novel phrase though😉

Edited by ron obvious

Deano was very critical of the performance and rightly so, and that was the public version. It was refreshing to see an honest assessment rather than waffle and excuses.

I think he understands the perspective of the result and performance.

Edited by Capt. Pants

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

Deano was very critical of the performance and rightly so, and that was the public version. It was refreshing to see an honest assessment rather than waffle and excuses.

I think he understands the perspective of the result and performance.

Yep of course he was. Conversely Eddie Howe was super positive about the Newcastle performance and how proud he was of the Newcastle players, but none of that speak from Smith for some reason?!

Yet apparently a point is a good result! I just don't get it.

Before the season, if we were going to earmark where 9ish wins were going to come from, I'm sure nearly everyone on this board would have agreed that playing away at the side bottom of the league with 10 men for 80 minutes is the best opportunity for an away win. 

If we can't mark this game down as a game to win, then I guess that is us done for away wins....? Are you guys planning for us to only win at home or something? 

No, we beat Brentford in far less favourable circumstances after a shocking run of form in our last away game. So clearly we are capable of much better than we were on Tuesday night, clearly Tuesday was a game we should've been winning.

Yes 8 points in 4 games is still a decent return on paper, but we need to have runs like this against the sides around us to then afford failing to pick up points against the top sides, as well as bridging the 4 point gap to safety. Be interesting to see how that return fairs after we've played Spurs, Man Utd and Arsenal in the coming weeks as I fear we could fall 5-6 points behind again. 

I just can't see at the minute where we are going to bridge the gap to teams like Burnley, Southampton, Leeds, Watford etc, all of whom seem to be playing at least as well as us and picking up points pretty consistently.

Lets hope Smith can continue building from the improvements we saw in the Wolves game and second half versus Southampton but sadly I feel the initial 10 games of the season have left us with too much to do.

Had we won on Tuesday with a good performance I'd be feeling much better, it seems the players are still scarred from recent PL seasons / performances which is a real shame. Of course there is still a lot of time left in the season for us to turn the tide as well as January but I struggle to see who we can get past without significant improvement.