Sign in to follow this  
Ian

Perspective Required?

5 minutes ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

I don't think you need to be Manchester City to beat a 10 man Newcastle team who are bottom of the league.

We were poor...but we go again.

OTBC

That's not my point. I'm saying this team is far from perfect. We lost 6 in a row and had 2 points after 10 games. 

The fans on here suddenly think we're world class. If this game were to happen 4 or 5 games into the season, everyone would be fine with it.

6 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Fair enough BP if you’d have taken that result on 10 mins then I was clearly wrong. I hope I wake up feeling better about it tomorrow like you do, don’t think I will though

I’m not saying it’s a great result or performance - I’m not insane! - it was just about ‘ok’, but the crucial thing was to not lose. The table looks far better than it did 4 games ago, and they’ll be wondering just who they can beat ( with the likes of Man City, Liverpool, Man U and Leicester in their next 5 games)

Edited by Branston Pickle

Just now, WD40 said:

We hardly turned over Brentford or Southampton mate.

Wow, must be joyful where you live. Perhaps you need to apply a squirt of branded silicone lubricant and loosen up a bit.

Just now, Ian said:

Wow, must be joyful where you live. Perhaps you need to apply a squirt of branded silicone lubricant and loosen up a bit.

Nice deflection. Did we turn over Brentford and Southampton?

10 minutes ago, Ian said:

Yes, disappointment is totally understandable, but had Lees Melou popped that chance in you know the same people would have swung the other way.

What's a bid weird is people saying we're definitely going down now (not even December yet) on the back of 8 points from 12, 4 undefeated, and only 3 goals conceded.

I feel the exact opposite. Despite being rubbish tonight we still seem to be able to come back into games and not resign ourselves to losses every time we go behind.

Yes, the most frustrating thing for me is that we probably won't have a better chance to win a game all season. I thought we were extremely disappointing going forward and if we can't create much against the worst defence in the league with ten men it hardly fills people with confidence. 

Edited by Alex

1 minute ago, WD40 said:

Nice deflection. Did we turn over Brentford and Southampton?

What's your definition of turn over? What were the expected results on paper in both of those games?

I'm not even sure what your point is to be honest. Those wins weren't good enough or something?

Edited by Ian

1 minute ago, Ian said:

What's your definition of turn over? What were the expected results on paper in both of those games?

I'm not even sure what your point is to be honest. Those wins weren't good enough or something?

You used the term so you define it however you want. The bolded bit suggests a win = a turning over?

Just now, Branston Pickle said:

I’m not saying it’s a great result or performance, it was just about ‘ok’, and does feel like 2 pts dropped but the crucial thing was to not lose. The table looks far better than it did 4 games ago, and they’ll be wondering just who they can beat ( with the likes of Man City, Liverpool, Man U and Leicester in their next 5 games)

I wasn’t saying you were, but you think it’s good enough even in context of the sending off - and sorry but I just can’t get close to feeling like that!

And I don’t really care about how much Newcastle suffer now as a result to failing beat us (??), going into a tougher run of fixtures for them. We need to find 3 teams to finish above in this blasted league, not just Newcastle!

We were the team playing against 10 men for 80 mins who’ve also got a tougher set of fixtures coming up. It’s a much better result for Newcastle no doubt about it.

Let’s hope we put in more Wolves type performances than Newcastle and we still have a chance of doing it!

We lose 8 out of 10 games and we're s--t ... we are then unbeaten in the next 3 games and we are world-beaters ... we then get a 1-1 draw away from home after a poor performance and we're s--t again.

We are neither s--t or world-beaters.  We are a team of relegation strugglers who are no worse than those around us.  

We have the players and now the coach to get us out of the mess we are in.

Smith's plans for the match tonight were obviously ****ed up by Rashica's late injury but he made some changes before and during the match and we managed to get a draw.

We found a way to get a point. We didn't bottle it and go down with a whimper, we fought back and in the last 10 minutes could have sneaked a win.

I am happy with that.

Edited by Numan
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, WD40 said:

You used the term so you define it however you want. The bolded bit suggests a win = a turning over?

Let's agree on beating a team who on paper would be expected to win comfortably.

Now your turn. What point are you actually trying to make?

4 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

It’s a much better result for Newcastle no doubt about it.

This sums it up really. Do people really think a home draw against Norwich in a must win game is a better result for Newcastle in the context of, say, the Premier League season?

I’m going to wade in and throw the Wolves at home game where we got a decent draw too. Probably played too well and were jaded tonight. It’s a rotter but at least Pukki scored from open play. But it’s a shame the evil Saudi’s are still in touching distance buttering our baps as we speak… 

Smith has been here less than 2 weeks, away game, midweek, raucous crowd all up for it, long journey, some injuries, still finding feet after horror run, Howe expecting own new manager bounce,  and we are still tevovering from press battering. At 7pm I'd have grabbed a point deffo.

But it really should have been a win, that's for sure. In the scheme of things though it was big for us not to lose and I am sure that as Smith gets more time with the squad we will play better and with more consistent confidence. Disappointed? Yes. Downhearted? No. I'm looking forward to Spurs,could be v interesting.

Can’t agree with that being a good result for Newcastle - all the pundits and all their supporters said it was a ’must win’, so how can drawing luckily be seen as a good result?

I’f have much rather seen Pukki be left alone, score and their player remain on the pitch - I’m 95% sure we’d have gone on and won.  if anything, it actually made things harder for us.

4 minutes ago, Numan said:

We lose 8 out of 10 games and we're s--t ... we are then unbeaten in the next 3 games and we are world-beaters ... we then get a 1-1 draw away from home after a poor performance and we're s--t again.

We are neither s--t or world-beaters.  We are a team of relegation strugglers who are no worse than those around us.  

Smith's plans for the match tonight were obviously ****ed up by Rashica's late injury but he made some changes and we managed to get a draw.

We found a way to get a point. We didn't bottle it and go down with a whimper, we fought back and in the last 10 minutes could have sneaked a win.

I am happy with that.

Chef's kiss.

2 minutes ago, Ian said:

Chef's kiss.

I don't know what that means but if it is an insult I suggest you turn it back on yourself.

• Haha 1

Just now, Branston Pickle said:

Can’t agree with that being a good result for Newcastle - all the pundits and all their supporters said it was a ’must win’, so how can drawing luckily be seen as a good result?

I’f have much rather seen Pukki be left alone, score and their player remain on the pitch - I’m 95% sure we’d have gone on and won.  if anything, it actually made things harder for us.

1 minute ago, Ian said:

This sums it up really. Do people really think a home draw against Norwich in a must win game is a better result for Newcastle in the context of, say, the Premier League season?

If you totally ignore the sending off then you are both absolutely correct - so if you want to draw context from before the game, then yes the draw is the better result for us.

But if you want to draw contest from the game itself (as I do) where we played against 10 men for 80 minutes, then the draw absolutely becomes the better result for Newcastle and a huge missed opportunity for us.

Looking at the table and our upcoming fixtures only makes it more so. Yes we’ve beat Southampton and Brentford, but there won’t be a more presentable chance to win a game this season, we will just have to play much much better than we did tonight to pick up points, that’s all.

Thankfully we were very good against Wolves so it’s of course still possible!

Don’t be silly, we need a rollercoaster of emotions with every game.

Players going from great performances one game to utter sh#t one game later.

Genius manager to clueless manager in same timeframe.

Calls of worse game people have ever seen…every other game.

Going from losing constantly to a four game unbeaten run and not being happy about it.

Etc. Etc.

Pffft perspective. This board would be dead.

• Haha 1

Just now, Numan said:

I don't know what that means but if it is an insult I suggest you turn it back on yourself.

No, the exact opposite. It means that was a great post I totally agree with.

IMG_20211130_224949.jpg

55 minutes ago, Ian said:

There's no doubting tonight was poor and a missed opportunity but I find some of the extreme negativity a bit ridiculous.

We've gone from 2 points in 10 games, not having won a Premiership match in a long time, to taking 8 points from 12 in 4 undefeated matches.

If we continue making ourselves difficult to beat we've given ourselves a chance of staying up, and I sure as hell would have taken that before the Brentford game. Plus our best striker seems to have found a bit of form too...

Progress.

the extreme negativity a bit ridiculous. You are so correct. I could vomit 🤢 at some of the posts tonight. Supporters my ****. 

5 minutes ago, Ian said:

Let's agree on beating a team who on paper would be expected to win comfortably.

Now your turn. What point are you actually trying to make?

You said (paraphrasing) I was being overly negative for calling out a bizarre use of the term ‘turned over’. Let’s agree it is an exaggeration to suggest we turned over Brentford and Southampton. 

When teams fail to take advantage of red cards it’s usually when the dismissal is only 20- mins from the end. Considering how early the dismissal was (also forcing them to make an early sub) I really felt we should have taken 3 points. I think it was mainly down to Rashica’s absence though

Yes this looks a really poor performance when you compare it to our previous two, but like Ian has said when you compare this 4 match unbeaten run to all our previous games this season I don’t think you can say we’ve been poor recently - 8pts taken from the last available 12, after only 2pts had only been taken from the first available 30

Yes 2pts dropped, but at least we still denied our relegation rivals their first win and clean sheet of the season 

8 minutes ago, Numan said:

Smith's plans for the match tonight were obviously ****ed up by Rashica's late injury but he made some changes before and during the match and we managed to get a draw.

I am happy with that.

We would have lost that under Farke, so a point gained.

The details will be forgoton about at the end of the season which leaves a point away against a rival.

1 minute ago, BigFish said:

We would have lost that under Farke, so a point gained.

The details will be forgoton about at the end of the season which leaves a point away against a rival.

For sure we would have lost that under previous mismanagement. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ian said:

No, the exact opposite. It means that was a great post I totally agree with.

IMG_20211130_224949.jpg

I apologise for my tardiness in never having heard of that phrase.  Thank you you for your kind comment.

7 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

If you totally ignore the sending off then you are both absolutely correct - so if you want to draw context from before the game, then yes the draw is the better result for us.

But if you want to draw contest from the game itself (as I do) where we played against 10 men for 80 minutes, then the draw absolutely becomes the better result for Newcastle and a huge missed opportunity for us.

Looking at the table and our upcoming fixtures only makes it more so. Yes we’ve beat Southampton and Brentford, but there won’t be a more presentable chance to win a game this season, we will just have to play much much better than we did tonight to pick up points, that’s all.

Thankfully we were very good against Wolves so it’s of course still possible!

It's a league, not a cup match. Newcastle are not going to be thankful for getting a point tonight that is for sure.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Numan said:

I apologise for my tardiness in never having heard of that phrase.  Thank you you for your kind comment.

No problem at all. It was my bad for being lazy and not qualifying my comment! All the best

• Like 1

Seems to be a similar divide on here as there was after the Leicester game.

I was bitterly disappointed we didn’t get at least a point in that game, and felt it was a wasted opportunity. Leicester were bang out of form,  absolutely riddled with injuries and played very very poorly on the day, yet we couldn’t capitalise and ended up losing. However a lot of posters on here weren’t at all disheartened by the result because they’d already written the game off pre season. 

Similarly tonight I am surprised that people prefer to use a less relevant gauge for weighing up the result, as opposed to the game situation itself, but fair enough. 

Yes I’d have taken a draw before the game. But no way would I have taken it after 10 mins. Absolutely golden chance missed - sorry chaps.

I’m not surprised by performance tonight  after the efforts of the game against Wolves at the weekend. We looked tired mentally and physically tonight at times and came back from a losing position to get a point. Sarge needs a rest I think and let’s not forget Smith’s substitutions to bring about the point.