Sign in to follow this  
Ian

Perspective Required?

There's no doubting tonight was poor and a missed opportunity but I find some of the extreme negativity a bit ridiculous.

We've gone from 2 points in 10 games, not having won a Premiership match in a long time, to taking 8 points from 12 in 4 undefeated matches.

If we continue making ourselves difficult to beat we've given ourselves a chance of staying up, and I sure as hell would have taken that before the Brentford game. Plus our best striker seems to have found a bit of form too...

Progress.

• Like 8

If you’re not picking up 3 points against the team bottom of the league down to 10 men for 80 minutes, when are you picking up 3 points? We need 10 wins. 

• Like 2

We needed the 3 points today after that sending off with the next 5 games coming up which are all incredibly difficult, any other Pl team would have beaten Newcastle today and that for me is extremely worrying. The other disappointment for me was how we reverted back to pointless, slow, low intensity sideways and back football and once again looked like we don't belong at this level. yes we scraped a point away which in isolation looks to be decent, but the context around it is very worrying 

• Like 2

I've been one of many to express disappointment with a draw, but that's natural when you play nearly the entire match against ten men. 

In the cold light of day, it may well prove to be a good point to continue our unbeaten run, but right now it does feel like a huge missed opportunity to kick on even further.

3 minutes ago, WD40 said:

If you’re not picking up 3 points against the team bottom of the league down to 10 men for 80 minutes, when are you picking up 3 points? We need 10 wins. 

Yeah because that's exactly how football works isn't it? Wonder how many expected us to turn over Brentford and Southampton back to back, before playing high flying wolves off the pitch?

We also don't need 10 wins, unless you're suggesting we won't draw another game this season?

Would have taken a point before kick off but that was a poor effort against ten men. Poor passing and unable to lift the pace when it mattered. Normann and Rashica were badly missed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ricardo said:

Would have taken a point before kick off but that was a poor effort against ten men. Poor passing and unable to lift the pace when it mattered. Normann and Rashica were badly missed.

Nobody would disagree with any of that. I don't think that contradicts my original post at all though.

7 minutes ago, WD40 said:

Oh, I don’t know - perhaps against Brentford and Saints a couple of weeks ago?  

FFS, lighten up.  Four games unbeaten, after losing 8/10 is not something that I’m doing to get too downbeat about.  We were away, it’s a point, we move on.

• Like 1

What perspective is there for the game?

There isn’t a single Newcastle fan who wouldn’t have ripped your hand off for 1-1 after a sending off 10 mins into the game, and there isn’t a single Norwich fan who would’ve taken it. It’s nowhere near good enough and probably one of the most frustrating matches I’ve ever had the displeasure of watching. 

Why do we need to talk about form before the game? The performance tonight was diabolical and deserves to be called for what it is.

Yes we’d have taken the draw before the game but the sending off changes absolutely everything. This was an absolutely golden opportunity to get within touching distance of safety. Now it’s still all to do with a less kind set of fixtures coming up! 

2 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

There isn’t a single Newcastle fan who wouldn’t have ripped your hand off for 1-1 after a sending off 10 mins into the game, and there isn’t a single Norwich fan who would’ve taken it. It’s nowhere near good enough and probably one of the most frustrating matches I’ve ever had the displeasure of watching.

You’re 100% wrong - I’d have hoped for more but taken it, all day long.  Period.  Far too many can’t see the bigger picture.

Edited by Branston Pickle

5 minutes ago, ricardo said:

I thought we looked good enough Saturday but not tonight.

Against a resurgent Newcastle side with a new manager and plucky 10 men 

• Like 1

Just now, Branston Pickle said:

You’re 100% wrong - I’d have hoped for more but taken it, all day long.  Period.

If you were offered 1-1 at full time once Clark was sent off on 10 minutes you’d have taken it?

3 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Why do we need to talk about form before the game? The performance tonight was diabolical and deserves to be called for what it is.

Yes we’d have taken the draw before the game but the sending off changes absolutely everything. This was an absolutely golden opportunity to get within touching distance of safety. Now it’s still all to do with a less kind set of fixtures coming up! 

Usual over reactionary post from certain sections of our fan base 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

If you were offered 1-1 at full time once Clark was sent off on 10 minutes you’d have taken it?

That’s what I said - I’d have hoped for more but taken it. All day long.  The win was hugely important for them, less so for us. I’m totally convinced we’d have played a lot better against 11 men, it’s just one of those things.

Edited by Branston Pickle

1 minute ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Why?

Because of your hissy fit around the most frustrating game you’ve ever watched 

1 minute ago, Branston Pickle said:

That’s what I said - I’d have hoped for more but taken it. All day long.  

Sorry I had to check as I’m genuinely shocked. Against a team who hasn’t won, has the worst defence, is below us in the league, hasn’t kept a clean sheet, playing with 10 men for 80 mins…. 

How bad must you think we are to be happy with the draw?!?!

• Like 1

If we are losing against a side with 10 men since the 9th minute that haven't won all season and have conceded 30 goals already.   Then  I think negativity is understandable. 

Edited by Alex
  • Confused 1

We beat Southampton and Brentford. Some people need to realise our manager isn't Pep and our squad isn't that of Manchester City.

We're not going to be perfect every game. Remember that we lost 6 in a row and 8 out of 10. 

Edited by TESCO

Just now, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Sorry I had to check as I’m genuinely shocked. Against a team who hasn’t won, has the worst defence, is below us in the league, hasn’t kept a clean sheet, playing with 10 men for 80 mins…. 

How bad must you think we are to be happy with the draw?!?!

Hadn’t won, but has drawn plenty (and lost fewer than us).

I don’t see a problem - it’s difficult to break any PL side down, even when playing away against ten men when you’re without two of your more creative players.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Yobocop said:

Because of your hissy fit around the most frustrating game you’ve ever watched 

No, I said it was was ‘one of the most’ frustrating games I’ve seen from us. It was.

As I said at half time it was like watching the 10 second phase of Sargent being gifted the chance versus Brighton then totally fluffing it, spread out over the course of 90 very painful minutes. 

Strong shades of this game under Hughton which was probably as frustrating to watch - 

https://www.premierleague.com/match/9245

Just now, TESCO said:

We beat Southampton and Brentford. Some people need to realise our manager isn't Pep and our squad isn't that of Manchester City.

I don't think you need to be Manchester City to beat a 10 man Newcastle team who are bottom of the league.

We were poor...but we go again.

OTBC

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Alex said:

If we are losing against a side that haven't won all season who had 10 men since the 9th minute then  I think negativity is understandable. 

Yes, disappointment is totally understandable, but had Lees Melou popped that chance in you know the same people would have swung the other way.

What's a bid weird is people saying we're definitely going down now (not even December yet) on the back of 8 points from 12, 4 undefeated, and only 3 goals conceded.

I feel the exact opposite. Despite being rubbish tonight we still seem to be able to come back into games and not resign ourselves to losses every time we go behind.

1 minute ago, Branston Pickle said:

Hadn’t won, but has drawn plenty (and lost fewer than us).

I don’t see a problem - it’s difficult to break any PL side down, even when playing away against ten men when you’re without two of your more creative players.  

Fair enough BP if you’d have taken that result on 10 mins then I was clearly wrong. I hope I wake up feeling better about it tomorrow like you do, don’t think I will though

Perspective absolutely required, there are many fair points across this messageboard this evening but also a fair bit of OTT rammel. Disappointing not to win but its a point away from home and eight points from four unbeaten games. Let's not go overboard with the negativity and scapegoating.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

I don't think you need to be Manchester City to beat a 10 man Newcastle team who are bottom of the league.

We were poor...but we go again.

OTBC

Exactly this. But some people need to get a grip and realise we weren't relegated tonight because we didn't beat a 10 man Newcastle.

23 minutes ago, Ian said:

Yeah because that's exactly how football works isn't it? Wonder how many expected us to turn over Brentford and Southampton back to back, before playing high flying wolves off the pitch?

We also don't need 10 wins, unless you're suggesting we won't draw another game this season?

We hardly turned over Brentford or Southampton mate. We’re in a scrap and need to capitalise on every bit of luck we get if we have a hope of staying up. 

14 minutes ago, Alex said:

If we are losing against a side with 10 men since the 9th minute that haven't won all season and have conceded 30 goals already.   Then  I think the entitlement is understandable. 

Sorted 😎

Edited by C.I.D