Sign in to follow this  
JB

2 points dropped

For me, it is as per the title. Not many teams would have a 1 man advantage for so long and not run out winners. It felt a little like we didn't know this and were playing it far too coy for the most part. So much of our attacking play felt loose and vulnerable to fail. Displeasing to see, more so knowing we could come so close to safety with a win. 

Not sure if anyone would agree, but the lack of Norman looked apparent tonight. I genuinely feel he could have made a difference in going forward and also defending Newcastle's countering. Rashica may have been useful too. Obviously we can't change what is, but if fate had been alternative in us having them, I think we'd have nabbed it

Edited by JB

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

Feel the lack of Normann and Rashica really did harm us. Had they both started would Have been 3 points me thinks

Exactly. Is what it is, but man do I feel gutted

I mean I agree, but it’s 8 points in 4. We only had 2 points not that long ago. Was vital we didn’t lose.

• Like 2

I’m not going to ever complain about getting a point away in the PL.  Maybe it ought to have been 3 but people are forgetting they still had 10 men behind the ball for 75 mins and scored with their only shot on target, a pretty lucky penalty (right to be given but it was going nowhere and hitting the elbow is rarely ‘deliberate’) 

3 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

I mean I agree, but it’s 8 points in 4. We only had 2 points not that long ago. Was vital we didn’t lose.

Can't disagree. It's just the idea of knowing that really, we should have done more and ultimately should have won, considering the circumstances. If Newcastle had 11 men, a draw would be brilliant I think

6 minutes ago, JB said:

For me, it is as per the title. Not many teams would have a 1 man advantage for so long and not run out winners. It felt a little like we didn't know this and were playing it far too coy for the most part. So much of our attacking play felt loose and vulnerable to fail. Displeasing to see, more so knowing we could come so close to safety with a win. 

Not sure if anyone would agree, but the lack of Norman looked apparent tonight. I genuinely feel he could have made a difference in going forward and also defending Newcastle's countering. Rashica may have been useful too. Obviously we can't change what is, but if fate had been alternative in us having them, I think we'd have nabbed it

I’m sure the loss of Cantwell, Rashica, and Normann affected us, but it was out of Dean Smith’s hands. No blame can be laid at his door.

We went for it second half as I expected, and will take the draw - it’s far more damaging for Newcastle than it is us. 4 games no defeats, I believe we’re on the up and going to ‘do it’. 👍

With Spurs and Man Utd on the horizon we really needed to take advantage tonight. Sad to say but I don’t think we have enough to stay up. Tonight was a real missed opportunity and these are the games you have to kill off if you’re going to get hold of that 4th from bottom spot.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

We went for it second half as I expected

No we didn't. Only showed any sign of wanting to score after Newcastle themselves scored 

• Like 1

Just now, Coneys Knee said:

With Spurs and Man Utd on the horizon we really needed to take advantage tonight. Sad to say but I don’t think we have enough to stay up. Tonight was a real missed opportunity and these are the games you have to kill off if you’re going to get hold of that 4th from bottom spot.

This was my fear also. A win being vital as the next two are probable loses. Puts us back where we started potentially. A win tonight, especially with our 1 man advantage, should really have been the reality 

Let’s remember Dean Smith isn’t a magician - he’s inherited a side who were frankly clueless in the first 10 games and with confidence shattered - there will be ups and downs but I think we’re in good hands

• Thanks 1

I think its fair to say that we are the only team in this division that would not have beaten a ten man Newcastle for over 80 minutes.  Even against ten men we looked clueless going forward.

Edited by Alex
  • Like 2

There is a reason they've drawn 7 times - more than any team except Leeds. They defended well tonight. If it wasn't for Gilmour's incomprehensible positioning of his arm...actually we'd probably still have drawn 0-0.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Leeds win it at the death, good news for us as Palace are a team we can catch. 

2 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Just got a whole lot worse too. 

Not really, no chance will Leeds be near the bottom in the coming months

2 minutes ago, Alex said:

I think its fair to say that we are the only team in this division that would not have beaten a ten man Newcastle for over 80 minutes. 

Why don't the PL make the Geordies do that for the remaining games so that you can be proved correct 🙄

Lees-Melou tucks home and it would've been party time.  Personally, I'm just glad to see us playing and holding possession again.

We didn't look particularly threatening, but controlled the game in long periods, and probably should've walked away with 2/3 goals.

Really split on Sargent, love his press and workrate.  But he's so clueless in positioning and struggles to control or kick a ball, I can't think of anyone so poor in that regard - is it really a confidence thing?

I was hoping for a draw, so not 2 points lost to me. Never thought we'd be in this position a month ago, so very happy with how things are progressing.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Normann for Norfolk said:

Let’s remember Dean Smith isn’t a magician - he’s inherited a side who were frankly clueless in the first 10 games and with confidence shattered - there will be ups and downs but I think we’re in good hands

One of the most sensible posts tonight. We'll said. Ffs can't believe some of the ott posts . Yes we could have won yes we could have lost also. We got a draw ffs. The SAS for sure we are in good hands now. 

29 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Lees-Melou tucks home and it would've been party time.  Personally, I'm just glad to see us playing and holding possession again.

We didn't look particularly threatening, but controlled the game in long periods, and probably should've walked away with 2/3 goals.

Really split on Sargent, love his press and workrate.  But he's so clueless in positioning and struggles to control or kick a ball, I can't think of anyone so poor in that regard - is it really a confidence thing?

I was hoping for a draw, so not 2 points lost to me. Never thought we'd be in this position a month ago, so very happy with how things are progressing.

And it is progressing that's for sure . Good post.

At least we didn't roll over and die when we went a goal down like we did so many times before... any point away from home is good for us, ok we did play 10 for 80 mins, but we didn't lose, kept a bit of momentum going 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Not really, no chance will Leeds be near the bottom in the coming months

You reckon? More chance than Palace being there.