Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

Feel a bit sorry for Dean Smith...

18 minutes ago, Michael Starr said:

Shows how far we've already come under Smith. We were poor against Newcastle yet came away with a point, kept the momentum, now undefeated in 4, and we were without arguably our three main creative offensive threats in Cantwell, Rashica and Normann. We're all sat here now feeling disappointed. 3 weeks ago, it would have been an amazing result had we faced money bags Newcastle without Normann in the side.

I think the point is that we played 87 minutes against 10 men, and their financial status is irrelevant until they are able to spend some of it. 

Deano and Shakey are still assessing to sort out the wheat from the chaff.....Fortunately we've garnered valuable points so we are not cut adrift from possible salvation.....January transfer window will soon be upon us.....hopefully to offload and to onload.....

17 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I don't know what his fitness levels were like, and this might have been the issue, but I'm surprised we didn't bring Dowell on as a number 10 once we had the numerical advantage. 

But Dean Smith will still be learning his squad won't he, and it is often more difficult to play against 10 men as the opposition tightens up and its difficult to find gaps. Unfortunately I think we lack a flair player of the standard of Hoolahan or Buendia to pick the lock when the opposition sits so deep. 

I guess that was what Lees-Melou was brought on to do and to a small extent he did help deliver that. Sargent should have been hooked way earlier than he was.

22 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I've made a t*t out of myself a few times on here.

Act Surprised GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

I think we all need to stop posting... have a little sit down and have a cup of tea. TVB is having an epiphany, a pure moment of unadulterated clarity. We all need to take this in, record the date and save the thread for future quoting material... 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Glad to have him and he's giving it a proper go. but let's be honest, he's not got a great deal to work with has he.

Lose two of his best players and we've got a Championship midfield.

Questions still need to be asked about the quality of our summer business. 

I think DS is a better manager than we deserve. We wasted money on Lees Milou and Sergent who don't cut it. Cantwell is now worthless and Hugill is still ours. These mistakes may mean we can't buy the striker we desperately need. So yes I do feel sorry for DS we are a big down grade from Villa. DS has worked wonders so far but I think the first 10 games relegated us

30 minutes ago, Mullet said:

I think DS is a better manager than we deserve. We wasted money on Lees Milou and Sergent who don't cut it. Cantwell is now worthless and Hugill is still ours. These mistakes may mean we can't buy the striker we desperately need. So yes I do feel sorry for DS we are a big down grade from Villa. DS has worked wonders so far but I think the first 10 games relegated us

Agree with all your comments. The recruitment upfront in the summer was awful with the possible exception of Rashica. Yet again we have the situation where we have only ONE recognised striker on the books of true first team quality! Smith pretty much has confirmed as much in his public comments so far. It is this paucity of striking options of any quality that will relegate us as it did last time.

3 hours ago, yellowrider120 said:

Agree with all your comments. The recruitment upfront in the summer was awful with the possible exception of Rashica. Yet again we have the situation where we have only ONE recognised striker on the books of true first team quality! Smith pretty much has confirmed as much in his public comments so far. It is this paucity of striking options of any quality that will relegate us as it did last time.

Therein lies a problem though. We paid our £8m to improve our striking department. £8m is always a gamble because it represents someone who is either cutting it at a lower level and who might step up, but no one else is willing to gamble on yet... OR a player who has good stats but isn't yet fully developed into that level yet.

Sargent for me represents the latter. I think folks forget he is only 21. I said when we signed him his vids reminded me of Dirk Kuyt in a way, but clearly a much younger and not quite as accomplished Dirk Kuyt. We also have to remember he's never played British football before, but the one advantage he has is he speaks English. He has pace and he'll bustle. Folks suggesting Hugill is better, IMHO, are just going way OTT.

Hugill has played 16 times in the Championship and scored once this season. Sargent played in the cup Vs Bournemouth and scored twice - in comparison of levels. Hugill has more experience, and at 29, should be taking the Championship by the scruff of the neck as a well honed and polished player who has played nothing but British football. 1 in 16 is not really reflecting that is it? If anything it's looking like we may have overpaid for him and may well be lucky to get £2m for him...

The other attacking options we signed - Tzolis and Rashica, have both shown flashes of what they were signed for. Rashica has been in fine form and was missed against Toon. Tzolis is 19 and consistency is something that comes with a bit more age and experience. Again, for both, it's their first season in the English game and in a new country.

It can be really easy to write off players before they have truly settled and adapted, and perhaps that's the best argument there is, we put too much hope into signing too many players from the continent when perhaps we needed more players with stock already in the English game like we did with Lambert. 

The obvious counter to that is despite Brentford having done that a fair bit, teams are clued up to it. I remember when we were linked with a prolific lower league striker a few seasons ago now and we were told he'd cost £5-7m which is why we signed Srbeny at a fraction of that.

Do we have the time to be able to afford to get this players adapted and firing on top form in the premier league? Lets hope so hey? Relegated when we are a third of the season in and with plenty of points left to play? Nah. It was never going to be easy was it. £50m isn't a lot to spend on a squad these days, and spend it we had to. Equally, £8-10m doesn't get you guaranteed performers these days either, not unless they are older players being trimmed from other premier league sides. Look at how much Armstrong cost Southampton... 

On 30/11/2021 at 23:28, TeemuVanBasten said:

I really don't feel like anybody on this forum deserves another poster telling them that their kids aren't theirs chicken, as CanaryDan23 has done about half a dozen times now, just because they disagree about whether a manager should have been sacked or the current ability level of a footballer, but perhaps that's just me and you don't operate with a similar level of morality or decency? Evidently not.

No, we certainly don't thankfully. And the point I made was spot on. You are quite happy to be out rightly rude and insulting to others and then to threaten them when they call you out on it? Like you told me I'm not allowed to talk about you accusing me of taking public money under false pretences because of another element of the defamatory comment you made about me you don't agree with having said.

Apparently, that was enough to troll around this forum repeatedly calling me a liar.

Said accusation of defamation by you was based on the concept that you have business acquaintances that know you use this site. Yet, I don't need acquaintances, anyone could call up local authority on the basis of your accusation of spending time on here when I was being paid by the public purse which would result into an investigation that could lead to my dismissal... Now tell me where there is any sense of morality or decency in that?

No apology from you thus far. At least that would suggest some decency and morality in the form of some remorse.

Luckily, if I didn't have any decency or morality, I wouldn't be in the job I have been doing for 15yrs+ longer if you add in other roles within similar realms. I probably wouldn't pass the qualifications I have to pass along the way owing to the type of work I do.

See, thing is TVB, you dish out a hell of a lot of insults to folks on here. A number of people steer clear of you as a result. And you certainly can't take what you dish out. It's like one of those video's where someone kicks a ball, it hits and object and bounces back at them and knocks them flat. You are always so surprised at the response you get from people you have shot a comment at. 

The advice I always got as a kid from my folks was if you don't want a fight, don't go looking for one. The majority of the time, you are looking/fishing for one. Sure, some retorts perhaps go too far - but don't go asking for them. I mean at this point I don't know why I am even trying to give you advice. Every week is the same on here with you, there is always someone you have gaslight enough to get this sort of response from, then it's all "oh innocent me, isn't that nasty man calling me very nasty indecent things".

• Like 1

On 30/11/2021 at 23:10, Ward 3 said:

🤣🤣🤣 you're on one tonight

Yep  TuBs weekends  are getting so long that they meet in in the middle. 

7 hours ago, chicken said:

No, we certainly don't thankfully. And the point I made was spot on. You are quite happy to be out rightly rude and insulting to others and then to threaten them when they call you out on it? Like you told me I'm not allowed to talk about you accusing me of taking public money under false pretences because of another element of the defamatory comment you made about me you don't agree with having said.

Apparently, that was enough to troll around this forum repeatedly calling me a liar.

Said accusation of defamation by you was based on the concept that you have business acquaintances that know you use this site. Yet, I don't need acquaintances, anyone could call up local authority on the basis of your accusation of spending time on here when I was being paid by the public purse which would result into an investigation that could lead to my dismissal... Now tell me where there is any sense of morality or decency in that?

No apology from you thus far. At least that would suggest some decency and morality in the form of some remorse.

Luckily, if I didn't have any decency or morality, I wouldn't be in the job I have been doing for 15yrs+ longer if you add in other roles within similar realms. I probably wouldn't pass the qualifications I have to pass along the way owing to the type of work I do.

See, thing is TVB, you dish out a hell of a lot of insults to folks on here. A number of people steer clear of you as a result. And you certainly can't take what you dish out. It's like one of those video's where someone kicks a ball, it hits and object and bounces back at them and knocks them flat. You are always so surprised at the response you get from people you have shot a comment at. 

The advice I always got as a kid from my folks was if you don't want a fight, don't go looking for one. The majority of the time, you are looking/fishing for one. Sure, some retorts perhaps go too far - but don't go asking for them. I mean at this point I don't know why I am even trying to give you advice. Every week is the same on here with you, there is always someone you have gaslight enough to get this sort of response from, then it's all "oh innocent me, isn't that nasty man calling me very nasty indecent things".

I stopped reading your massive walls of text after you made things up that time mate, not interested in the opinions of liars.

Anyway, look I find CanaryDan23 amusing, his massive man tantrum in the the weeks after we sacked Farke is still the most hilarious thing I've read on the Internet in 20 years of being connected - I may print and frame it if Dean Smith keeps us up. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

35 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I stopped reading your massive walls of text after you made things up that time mate, not interested in the opinions of liars.

Anyway, look I find CanaryDan23 amusing, his massive man tantrum in the the weeks after we sacked Farke is still the most hilarious thing I've read on the Internet in 20 years of being connected - I may print and frame it if Dean Smith keeps us up. 

And you wonder why people think you're an incel?

14 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

And you wonder why people think you're an incel?

I think you may be something much worse with your obsession over other peoples kids.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Just now, TeemuVanBasten said:

I think you may be something much worse.

Doesn't surprise me. Let's be honest, the strike rate on things that you think are right actually being so isn't all that high, is it?

10 hours ago, chicken said:

Therein lies a problem though. We paid our £8m to improve our striking department. £8m is always a gamble because it represents someone who is either cutting it at a lower level and who might step up, but no one else is willing to gamble on yet... OR a player who has good stats but isn't yet fully developed into that level yet. Sargent for me represents the latter.

Go on then, entertain me...

How can 5 goals in 32 games last season, and 4 goals in 28 games the season before, be considered "good stats" in the Bundesliga...

... when Dennis Srbeny managed 5 in 17 to outscore him in one of those seasons, and Ondrej Duda managed 5 in 27 from midfield to match his goal record in the other. 

Answers on a postcard. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Not far off, much closer to that than £40m. 

You think less than 20m +1p  then? OK,  we'll  see who's  correct  in the fulness of  time. 

7 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

You think less than 20m +1p  then? OK,  we'll  see who's  correct  in the fulness of  time. 

For Todd Cantwell? In terms of the fee that he leaves Norwich for?

I'd literally bet cash on that. 

Call it £50 to charity? 

I bet £50 that when Cantwell leaves Norwich it will be for a fee of less than £20m & 1 pence, or as a free agent upon expiry of his contract. If that happens you pop £50 to an agreed charity.

I donate £50 if he leaves of a fee of £20m or more, and I won't worry about the 1p. I'll even include the add-ons, so if its £15m + £5m in future fees, I'll give you that win.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

3 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Call it £50 to charity? 

I bet £50 that when Cantwell leaves Norwich it will be for a fee of less than £20m & 1 pence, or as a free agent upon expiry of his contract. If that happens you pop £50 to an agreed charity.

I donate £50 if he leaves of a fee of £20m or more, and I won't worry about the 1p. I'll even include the add-ons, so if its £15m + £5m in future fees, I'll give you that win.

Fair enough, and seeing as the deal has been done here on the Pinkun, then the loser pays Nuttys funds. I will add the caveat that I wouldn't be surprised if he left on a free, my point was that he isn't worthless. But I'll  take the wager  anyway.... a fifty won't float or sink me . @nutty nigel please take note ,  there's a few quid coming your way when TC departs, either from me or TuB.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Call it £50 to charity? 

So, do we  have  a wager  then @TeemuVanBasten ? Not llke you  to be so shy.

I only have sympathy for a manager when they have rug pulled from under them mid contract, or they are sent to war without a gun.

Deano knew exactly what he was taking on when he joined. The pressure actually begins if we are relegated and automatic promotion becomes the expectation, which it will be. 

10 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

You're the liar. And full of them. Perhaps folks would like to know the harassing PM's you sent threatening me with legal action for challenging what you had said, because you think responding to actual defamation is defamation? You also didn't stop reading my "wall of text".

It's literally funny that you think people don't see all of this go on and not notice it.

None of what you are saying makes any difference. You are a hypocrite, pure and simple. So what if CanaryDan does have a "man-tantrum" - you have had more than plenty of your own. Pot kettle black.

The most hilarious thing is very thinly veiled threads all related to Cantwell, who you also openly slag off so much. He's not worthless, clearly not worthless.

If he goes on a free, I think there needs to be a caveat. @wcorkcanary - I'm suggesting this as what if he goes on a free to a club in a better league position than us? Clearly means he has value but the club in question were happy to wait and get him on a free. Just like Juventus did with Pogba. But you know, he was worthless.

43 minutes ago, chicken said:

You're the liar. And full of them. Perhaps folks would like to know the harassing PM's you sent threatening me with legal action for challenging what you had said, because you think responding to actual defamation is defamation? You also didn't stop reading my "wall of text".

It's literally funny that you think people don't see all of this go on and not notice it.

None of what you are saying makes any difference. You are a hypocrite, pure and simple. So what if CanaryDan does have a "man-tantrum" - you have had more than plenty of your own. Pot kettle black.

The most hilarious thing is very thinly veiled threads all related to Cantwell, who you also openly slag off so much. He's not worthless, clearly not worthless.

If he goes on a free, I think there needs to be a caveat. @wcorkcanary - I'm suggesting this as what if he goes on a free to a club in a better league position than us? Clearly means he has value but the club in question were happy to wait and get him on a free. Just like Juventus did with Pogba. But you know, he was worthless.

Cheers Chickeno, I had wondered that if he left on a free then TuB would offer that we put in 25 knicker apeice , as you say, he has value, of course, which is why I queried the original comment, it was, of course he who started flashing the wallet, so I thought **** it , see the cont.  To both donate if he goes for nowt would be the perfect bet for all. A 1-1-draw  in the pools coupon of life . We await TuBs magnanimous response. @TeemuVanBasten.

2 hours ago, chicken said:

Can't even have a friendly wager for the CSF without you trying to cause trouble, that's not very good now is it chicken wing. 

As its for charity, if Cantwell leaves on a free in summer 2023 and its to a Premier League side (including the 3 just promoted, but excluding the 3 just relegated) or an overseas side that plays in either the Champions League or Europa League group stages that season then I'll shoulder the ££. If he leaves on a free transfer to any other type of club then Corky can.

That sound fairer? 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

53 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Can't even have a friendly wager for the CSF without you trying to cause trouble, that's not very good now is it chicken wing. 

As its for charity, if Cantwell leaves on a free in summer 2023 and its to a Premier League side (including the 3 just promoted, but excluding the 3 just relegated) or an overseas side that plays in either the Champions League or Europa League group stages that season then I'll shoulder the ££. If he leaves on a free transfer to any other type of club then Corky can.

That sound fairer? 

Maybe you missed my offer of a split  if he leaves  on a free,   to what could be considered a bigger  club . I don't  mind , I just  wave goodbye  to money the minute  I commit  to  a wager as only bet for causes not personal ,so I'm not fussed , but if you are keen to hand me the advantage on the free transfer bit then I'd be a mug not to accept.  So thank you for that gracious  gesture,  I will accept. 😇😉👍 @nutty nigel please note the structure  of this bargain. Thankyou 🎀

• Like 1

On 30/11/2021 at 22:47, TeemuVanBasten said:

Glad to have him and he's giving it a proper go. but let's be honest, he's not got a great deal to work with has he.

Lose two of his best players and we've got a Championship midfield.

Questions still need to be asked about the quality of our summer business. 

It's nothing compared to the injury crisis Farke had in 2019-2020.

Other than that, if there's an issue of quality replacement for the otherwise good-quality players that are out of action, don't you mean quantity of business, or at least quantity of quality business?

Edited by littleyellowbirdie