KiwiScot

*****Offical Lappinitup Match Thread*****

15 minutes ago, king canary said:

It is part of it.

"An arm extended away from the body makes that body bigger, in an unnatural position," explains Mike Riley, Managing Director of Professional Game Match Officials Limited (PGMOL), the referees' body.

"If the ball strikes that arm, particularly if it is blocking a shot on goal, there is a greater likelihood we will penalise that."

The proximity of the player whose hand or arm makes contact with the ball to where the ball was struck from will still be an important consideration for officials when making a decision to award handball or not.

The header looked on target to me. Maybe the keeper would have got it, who knows. If it was on target and strikes the arm in an unnatural position that is surely enough? There is an illegal advantage no matter the proximity. It’s the type of decision that would normally go against us. 

2 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Accidental, like the Newcastle handball off the shot in the area. Either they keep their man and we get a penalty, or what’s happened.

And Pukki’s hands were in front of his body, the penalty shout hit the Newcastle player’s outstretched arm. Although as has been said, he didn’t have any idea what was happening, completely accidental.

11 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

There seems to be an assumption that this should be an automatic three points because of the red card.

But seems to be an automatic loss whenever we get a man sent off. Last season battered by Bournemouth after Giannoulis got sent off despite being 1-0 up and schooling them up to that point, abs very fortunate to hold on when Buendia got sent off 3-0 up at Stoke but fortunately our lead mean we only conceded 2 goals.

Those were two games we were winning and comfortable in. Newcastle aren’t ahead - we absolutely should be winning this game.

Edited by Hank shoots Skyler

1 minute ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

I had the exact thought. Though to be honest - if Pukki hadnt been fouled I dont think he would have converted

Given how Pukki had about three or four chances that any other striker would have netted against Wolves and he missed them all.. You might have a point

18 minutes ago, Sideshow Tim said:

Why the **** is Alan Shearer a commentator? I thought that it was supposed to be impartial..... And he's not at all. 

Never liked that ** 

Simon Thomas is pitchside and he's got skin in the game.

I think Shearer has be pretty fair to be honest

1 minute ago, Yellow Fever said:

Up the tempo. Faster passing. They're a man down for ff sake.

We haven't even broken a sweat yet

I'm breaking wind every time Toon try and hit us on the break.

Looked sluggish right from kick off. Seen this too many times before. Not good.

Sargent in particular looks low on energy - & without that he's nothing.

Dean needs to sort it out.

4 minutes ago, king canary said:

I really don't see how Placheta will help- he's all pace and no skill, won't hurt a team defending deep without space to run in behind.

Dowell is an option or even pushing Sargent up top with Pukki to give us a more physical option in there.

I think Dowell for Tzolis could be good call. Really need bit of flair to create those chances.

1 minute ago, WD40 said:

The header looked on target to me. Maybe the keeper would have got it, who knows. If it was on target and strikes the arm in an unnatural position that is surely enough? There is an illegal advantage no matter the proximity. It’s the type of decision that would normally go against us. 

I don't think it was a hugely unnatural position but I only saw it once. The fact it didn't even get a mention in the analysis suggests it really wasn't anything.

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Given how Pukki had about three or four chances that any other striker would have netted against Wolves and he missed them all.. You might have a point

Im not sure Pukki is really Premier League level. First half of last Prem season he looked easily a Premier League striker. Then the goals dried up and 2 years later Im not sure he is good enough really. Still, the best we have

What a sub, had that been Farke we’d be asking why? Can’t believe we’ve not got another striker on! Idah on the bench……we shall see!

Wow Tzolis for Lees Melou against 10 man bottom of league side is damning on Tzolis’ part - but I don’t disagree he needed changing!

Tzolis off for PLM, seems a strange one. 

Who is playing on the left side? We surely should be making the pitch as big as possible?

Two right footed players on the left wing isn’t giving us the best width is it?