KiwiScot

*****Offical Lappinitup Match Thread*****

27 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

This is the first one. Not got a clip of the second but I doubt MOTD will show it. Was a cross to Idah about 15 mins from the end 

Perhaps if we'd have appealed this like mad-dogs the way Newcastle did more might have been made of it. Quite possible our players didnt see it

1 minute ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Perhaps if we'd have appealed this like mad-dogs the way Newcastle did more might have been made of it. Quite possible our players didnt see it

They said they reviewed it though. I don’t understand how that can be reviewed and they don’t tell the ref he needs to look at it again.

the second half one was blatant as well. 

1 minute ago, Jim Smith said:

They said they reviewed it though. I don’t understand how that can be reviewed and they don’t tell the ref he needs to look at it again.

the second half one was blatant as well. 

I might be wrong, but I think they ask the referee to review it if they're not sure? I thought VAR made clear decisions, but in too close to call incidents they allow the referee to make the final call. I think if its a clear penalty the ref gets a word in his ear and he just points to the spot.

So for the Newcastle one it wasnt a clear penalty, wasnt a clear 'no penalty' - so referred to ref to make final call either way.

With Norwich penalty claim they felt able to make a clear 'no penalty' decision and felt ref didnt need to see it. 

Just now, The Great Mass Debater said:

I might be wrong, but I think they ask the referee to review it if they're not sure? I thought VAR made clear decisions, but in too close to call incidents they allow the referee to make the final call. I think if its a clear penalty the ref gets a word in his ear and he just points to the spot.

So for the Newcastle one it wasnt a clear penalty, wasnt a clear 'no penalty' - so referred to ref to make final call either way.

With Norwich penalty claim they felt able to make a clear 'no penalty' decision and felt ref didnt need to see it. 

Yes but it’s nonsense. That fat c**t Lee Mason is incompetent or corrupt. 

4 hours ago, KiwiScot said:

1.thumb.jpg.06a6cf0b2743e40aa864b9ec561560fb.jpg

Unsure If I've done this thread right, but no one else has. OTBC

Thanks @KiwiScot busy busy busy, only just back in my chair at home. I have Amazon Prime and of course, that is a curse, so didn't get to see any of the game, nor listen to it.

No rest for the wicked, by the sounds of most reports we could have had it at the end but a draw is probably a fair-ish result?

3 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Yes but it’s nonsense. That fat c**t Lee Mason is incompetent or corrupt. 

VAR is supposed to mean we arent having these conversations. 

There is no way one is a penalty and the other isnt. It's practically the same incident. VAR was supposed to stop the inconsistency. It just allows for gerrymandering to influence desirable outcomes.

Last time we were in the Prem I found (I think it was Budweiser) were keeping a VAR table of teams that had the most VAR decisions go against them. Guess who came bottom of it.

I don’t understand the fuss about the penalties. When the ball hit the Toon player (don’t know who it was), it was deflected onto him at an acute angle from about a metre away. Gilmour jumped up with his hand by his head and into the flight of the ball.

• Like 1

As bad as it gets. I don't know what it is with Norwich but some games they come out onto the pitch like they're all on valium. It seems to affect the whole team, the passing's all wrong, positioning poor, nobody wants to do anything creative, just pass it around & hope something happens. I could tell it was going to be a cr@p performance from the first few minutes.

It's really odd & been going on for years; it seems to be independent of managers or players. I wish it'd stop.

3 hours ago, Hardhouse44 said:

Rupp, Sargent, Gibson, Hanley, Idah, show me another premier league side they’d get in to!

Newcastle's probably.

5 hours ago, pete said:

Lewis playing doesn't improve their defence.  And his selection will not impress their fans.  Get after him.

Why didn't Aarons knock and run past Lewis?  Bet he's done it a 100 times at Colney but not tonight.  Aaaaggghhhh!

5 hours ago, kirku said:

Two absences could be pivotal but am looking forward to Tzolis' slow transformation from dangerous winger into N'golo Kante

Never played wide at all!  What the **** was that all about - so narrow! 

4 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Oh hello, early red card for Newcastle!!

GET YOUR FEET ON THEIR THROATS, LADS! AND KEEP KICKING THEM IN THE HEAD!!!

Well we didn't do that did we?  Why the **** not?

4 hours ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Interesting to see how we hack it against 10 men away from home for so long. Anyone remember hull away under Hughton? God that was awful.

Repeated it again.  ACN! 

4 hours ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

No definitely wouldn’t change anything now, 55/60 mins if it’s still 0-0 for me. Sadly we’ve not got too much else to bring on from the bench without Cantwell or Rashica. Dowell done okay against Wolves I guess 

In hindsight, Dowell on for Gilmour would have been the game changer 

To be fair, is there really such a thing as a rich man's Beckenbauer! 😉

We're still looking for a Hans-Georg Schwarzenbeck!!

Sorenson!

4 hours ago, hepphep said:

Interesting tactical thing has been that Tzolis roams most of the time to central positions leaving Williams alone to the wing. Interesting to see if we see any change there and start trying to outnumber their wingbacks

If it was tactical, then Williams needs a right kick up the ****!  He never once took Joelinton on, made him look like a world class midfielder FFS!  Joelinton is on a par with Sargent, he's that bad as a striker as everyone knows, but a midfielder ...

Intriguing, looks like two up top. Onus on Williams and Aarons for width then.
image.thumb.png.e8813533324eccc9a8d1e63e8500a313.png

Never once did they though!

Just got back,

Without doubt 2 points dropped.

We we're very poor, not many positives to take other than we battled back for a point.

Somehow ended up in a 442 that consisted of 4 centre mids.

No urgency in first half.

We didn't really start until they scored.

Dimi has to start, BW so poor, his stats will say he played excellent, but he had the freedom of Tyneside and never made a positive move, sideways and backwards passing and slow play to cut back onto his right foot, so so frustrating.

3 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

I don’t understand the fuss about the penalties. When the ball hit the Toon player (don’t know who it was), it was deflected onto him at an acute angle from about a metre away. Gilmour jumped up with his hand by his head and into the flight of the ball.

Gilmour wasn’t much further away and the point is the toon player had his arm out in an unnatural position thus expanding his body shape. Either they are both pens or neither is. 

Edited by Jim Smith

In my view the second one was more blatant, the toon defender dived in front of Idah and elbowed the ball away, ridiculous decision.

Some thoughts having slept on it-

Still can't get my head around VAR giving their penalty but not the Manquillo one. Either neither or both.

For me, Tzolis wilted at the occasion and went hiding a little bit, where Sargent never hid but unfortunately could trap a turtle. Key decision was changing the left back though- Williams had a very good game under a lot of pressure but having a left footed LB on the pitch seemed to loosen the entire team up.

Pukki 😄 Pierre 😧

Final note, if Amazon want to really kick on with their platform maybe when teams play Newcastle don't have their most famous ever player on co-comms. Yes Alan, you've said Norwich have been poor every 2 minutes through the second half, thank you. 

14 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Sorenson!

Only for Denmark U21s. 😉

Apart from the odd cameo at the end of a game in the Champs, has he actually played centre-half for us?

14 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Never once did they though!

It looked better when Giannoulis came on (a sub I'd asked for and stated on this thread, but for a different reason, namely interlinking with Tzolis as Greeks together in their national team) as then we had a left-footer on the left, which naturally provided more width than Williams forever cutting back inside.

10 minutes ago, Mengo said:

36 now .

So's Vardy. Different sort of player though, but also one I suspect might last longer than most.

Just a pipedream really I know. But he's the sort of player who could change our season, capable of scoring out of nothing, which can really demoralise an opposition. Unstoppable on his day.

Edited by ron obvious