KiwiScot

*****Offical Lappinitup Match Thread*****

7 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

I thought Idah looked far sharper and effective than Sargent did his entire game

I don't disagree, but remember Idah came on against tired legs.

That was shambolic for 75 minutes, Gilmour and McLean dreadful in midfield, Sargent just isn't good enough, I'd be tempted to see what Kamara can offer. Williams was shocking, game changed when Giannoulis came on. 

We can't keep relying on Pukki to save us. 

Going down playing like that. 

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

Yeah Dowell would have been an option for me - also I know its early but Tzolis doesn't look anything special and I'm fairly certain Sargent for all his work and endeavour will never score a Premier League goal.

I don't know what to make of Tzolis so far, he's young so you have to give him time but he looked lost today.

Sargent maybe has to be a super sub moving forward to unsettle defences with his physicality but he was awful tonight.

Tonight showed that iur squad is not good enough. Lose 2 or 3 key players and we look poor. Have to say, still trying to work out why VAR denied us two clear penalties. MoTM? The ref.. some great blocks to stop us getting into scoring positions

I love football and supporting my team.  The emotions during the game….from fuming to glory….then hope.  
Taking my emotion out of it, a point away against anyone in this league is solid.  The circumstances don’t matter.  We stopped them winning a must win game for them.  I’m happy with the point. 
OTBC. 

2 minutes ago, RobJames said:

We failed to beat the bottom of the table team, who only had ten men.

If you cant beat the worst team in the division, bottom of the league table and the form table, playing practically the whole game with a man less - who are you going to beat. Not good enough. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KernowCanary said:

Should have put that chance away in stoppage time with the one-on-one with the keeper, as well as tried a better long-range shot in the 96th minute rather than just their keeper an easy catch.

Did not play well, but at least the run goes up to four games, something I never thought that would ever happen after the record breaking start we had.

Agreed. I'm really not convinced by PLM either, made it far too easy for their keeper.

I thought Dowell was the obvious substitution tbh.

1 minute ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

If you cant beat the worst team in the division, bottom of the league table and the form table, playing practically the whole game with a man less - who are you going to beat.

Brentford and Southampton?

Edited by Ian
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

This and the Brighton game are the ones we will be rueing at the end of the season

Nah still Leeds and Watford for me, gifted 3 points in winnable games to teams that we will be in competition for 17th.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Tonight showed that iur squad is not good enough. Lose 2 or 3 key players and we look poor. Have to say, still trying to work out why VAR denied us two clear penalties. MoTM? The ref.. some great blocks to stop us getting into scoring positions

Yeah I said that in an earlier post, ref seemed to be in the way a lot. A number of times our player wanted to make a pass, found the ref in the way and had to do something different. Not blaming the ref but its odd - not something you regularly observe watching football

7 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Should not lose perspective though. We played badly, missing some key players snd we didn’t lose away at a relegation rival. 

Yes, but they had a couple of players out and they're down to ten for almost the whole game.

Not good enough.

The more I think about it the more frustrated I am with Max. That last phase of play where he played a rubbish ball to the by-line for Gilmour…absolutely symptomatic of a lack of impact all game. 

It’s interesting we see it as dropping points now, under Farke we’d be looking at them as points gained I think. Already a big shift in how things look. 

4 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

McLean better than Rupp imo

McLean and Rupp are both shocking players at this level.

We badly need someone in the middle with some spark and creativity.

15 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Well I would have taken a draw beforehand but given how that game went it’s a poor result and performance. That said denied two blatant handball penalties by the useless/corrupt VAR officials. 

Not just the penalties but Pukki was wrongly flagged offside by the linesman who should have kept his flag down to let play run and the ball drops to Rupp in a 3 on 1 situation to us

1 minute ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Yeah I said that in an earlier post, ref seemed to be in the way a lot. A number of times our player wanted to make a pass, found the ref in the way and had to do something different. Not blaming the ref but its odd - not something you regularly observe watching football

Possibly down to us passing it sideways all the bloody time

Just now, WD40 said:

The more I think about it the more frustrated I am with Max. That last phase of play where he played a rubbish ball to the by-line for Gilmour…absolutely symptomatic of a lack of impact all game. 

He looked completely ineffective going forward today, not sure why he wouldn’t cross or look to get to the byline at almost any point.

34 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Too many of our teams are just not premiership standard - this includes ALL our strikers as age is now catching up with Pukki who is a shadow of the player who burst onto the scene last time we were here 

And as if by magic around a minute later the 'aged' Pukki blasts one into the back of the net. And continuing with that magic theme, Dean Coneys boots disappears. Much as Keith Scott (and others) have done.

2 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Yes, but they had a couple of players out and they're down to ten for almost the whole game.

Not good enough.

For a bit of balance, haven't we gone from 2 points in 10 to 8 points in 4 undefeated games?

Tonight was poor, but we are definitely progressing and are in with a chance.

It was crying out for Giannolius at half-time given the scenario. He’s the only player seemingly willing to take on a man with a touch of quality/composure (see calm ball across for Pukki goal).

As soon as he came on, he added the above and Pukki also came into the game as a result.

Badly missed Rashica tonight. Ultimate the players try hard but simply lack the quality you need at this level (Sargent, Rupp, Hanley, Idah, Mclean, etc.).

Just now, alex_ncfc said:

McLean and Rupp are both shocking players at this level.

We badly need someone in the middle with some spark and creativity.

Dont actually think either of them are bad or performed bad today. They just are not guys to create lots chances and we missed that kind of guy today. In Wolves match they both seemed like really solid EPL players.

3 minutes ago, yellowandgreen said:

Teemu is the only one who looks like scoring. Unless someone else starts chipping in we will not survive.

We failed to buy goals in the summer.

1 minute ago, RobJames said:

And as if by magic around a minute later the 'aged' Pukki blasts one into the back of the net. And continuing with that magic theme, Dean Coneys boots disappears. Much as Keith Scott (and others) have done.

I think there are some people that think Pukki should have retired even before he joined the team and no performances or statistics of his speed or accuracy can change that.. 😉

So far Id say Sargent has looked pretty awful for us. Never looks like scoring, headless chicken, no technique. Good work-rate but some games he just doesnt turn up. Cant believe we paid actual money for him.

Gilmour has also been awful when he has played. Chelsea fan-boys saying 'Why doesnt Gilmour get a chance at Norwich - he'd be their best player!' - well he is a million miles away from our best player on current evidence.

Rashica improving and would have made a difference tonight Im sure, maybe not THE difference, but we missed him 

Normann is our best player. He may well have done what he did against Brentford tonight, one of the few players we have who look like they can go and do something.

Tzolis looked completely out of his depth today. Yes he's short of match action and he may well have been a last minute change, but looked nothing like the player we saw against Bournemouth.

Recruitment so far I have to say - sh*te. More flops than hits

The more Clattenburg tried to defend not giving the pen against Newcastle, the more it looks like a pen.