Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Why 'The Canaries'

We were taught this in school as kids years ago, local history being considered important back then.

Hours spent in the Castle Museum, The Bridewell and Strangers Hall gave us all a sense of belonging.

Edited by Nora's Ghost
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

And to think in another timeline we ended up being known as 'The Strangers’

Did you mean the stranglers? Sweet golden yellow

They're nicknamed The Canaries after the yellow birds who were brought to the city in the 1560s by refugee Flemish weavers fleeing the Inquisition in the Spanish Netherlands. An early club chairman was a keen breeder and it was he who changed their strip to yellow and green. Norwich City FC used to play at The Nest.

4 hours ago, Nora's Ghost said:

We were taught this in school as kids years ago, local history being considered important back then.

Hours spent in the Castle Museum, The Bridewell and Strangers Hall gave us all a sense of belonging.

Local history is a compulsory part of the National Curriculum today.

Also ... bending the past to build a 'sense of belonging' should not be and is not the purpose of History, historians or history lessons in school - thankfully.

Edited by Cantiaci Canary
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I’ve seen Stranger things.

Millie BB’s first series acting is dynamite.

10 hours ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

Also ... bending the past to build a 'sense of belonging' should not be and is not the purpose of History, historians or history lessons in school - thankfully.

Oh dear.

29 minutes ago, Nora's Ghost said:

Oh dear.

Another quality contribution in the spirit of open, intelligent debate?

10 hours ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

Exactly.  Perverting history to build such a "sense of belonging" often results in repeating it.

19 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Another quality contribution in the spirit of open, intelligent debate?

It didn't warrant anything else.

Some of us are proud of our city, our country and our history.

28 minutes ago, Nora's Ghost said:

It didn't warrant anything else.

Some of us are proud of our city, our country and our history.

You can be proud of all that, yet at the same time acknowledge aspects which are - from our perspective - less praiseworthy. You seem to prefer a more white-washed version of history.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

And to quote that giant of Norfolk history Thomas Payne ...

“my religion is to do good ... my country is the world”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

You can be proud of all that, yet at the same time acknowledge aspects which are - from our perspective - less praiseworthy. You seem to prefer a more white-washed version of history.

Oh dear again.

I'll leave you to it fella.

I'm hoping that the small minority of racists who sit a few rows in front of me, who persist in booing players taking the knee might be put off supporting a team who got it's colours and identity from foreign refugees?

Surely that would go against all their political beliefs?

12 minutes ago, Badger said:

I'm hoping that the small minority of racists who sit a few rows in front of me, who persist in booing players taking the knee might be put off supporting a team who got it's colours and identity from foreign refugees?

Surely that would go against all their political beliefs?

You'll probably have to tell them about the refugee bit, don't forget to mention that the the City and County they live in owes it's prosperity and heritage to the same refugees.

20 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Never mind the strangers? 

But if we had kept our sky blue and white kit, and nickname “The Citizens” maybe we’d have a few Premier League trophies in our cabinet … funny how things work out isn’t it? 

Personally I’m looking forward to a return of the Norfolk Dumpling mascot - Delia ????

15 hours ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

For the life of me, I can't see how being nicknamed The Canaries is 'bending the past'.

• Like 1

I'm not sure the Flemish immigrants were escaping anything but were merely invited here to help us with weaving. But I might be wrong.

If you walk round what is now called `The Lanes' you will see several buildings with very large windows. They were used by weavers who needed as much light as possible so they could work long hours. It was them that introduced canaries to the UK and they had them to make their work environment more enjoyable. 

As for the teaching of history in this country, it is an absolute joke. Kids are taught with pride about Britain's involvement in stopping slavery but they aren't taught that slavery and colonialism is where we got our money in the first place. 

Three or four years ago I did a tour of Blickling Hall and someone asked the guide how the original owner had made the money to build it. She didn't know or wasn't prepared to say but a man walking past told the lady it was from slavery and state sponsored piracy. The guide politely chastised him but he simply responded that it was his family and he preferred people to know the truth. 

Where the **** do people think we got our money from? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I'm not sure the Flemish immigrants were escaping anything but were merely invited here to help us with weaving. But I might be wrong.

If you walk round what is now called `The Lanes' you will see several buildings with very large windows. They were used by weavers who needed as much light as possible so they could work long hours. It was them that introduced canaries to the UK and they had them to make their work environment more enjoyable. 

As for the teaching of history in this country, it is an absolute joke. Kids are taught with pride about Britain's involvement in stopping slavery but they aren't taught that slavery and colonialism is where we got our money in the first place. 

Three or four years ago I did a tour of Blickling Hall and someone asked the guide how the original owner had made the money to build it. She didn't know or wasn't prepared to say but a man walking past told the lady it was from slavery and state sponsored piracy. The guide politely chastised him but he simply responded that it was his family and he preferred people to know the truth. 

Where the **** do people think we got our money from? 

I think they were Protestant refugees from the period when Catholic Spain ‘owned’ what is now the Netherlands IIRC?

3 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Personally Id rather they were taught that slavery is not a thing of the past and modern slavery is rife, as slavery seems to be talked about as an historical thing and the focus on righting historical rather than current injustices. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

For the life of me, I can't see how being nicknamed The Canaries is 'bending the past'.

That isn't bending the past ... that's a cold hard fact.

What is bending the past is when you use it to forge 'a sense of belonging'. That's what I was responding to in Nora's initial post (and I think you know that 😉).

I was countering the suggestion that kids are losing out today due to the education they receive (apologies Nora if you didn't intend to imply that!).

Historians shouldn't (and don't) deal in nostalgia and romance - for good reason. Despite the efforts of politicians and media pressure.

But anyway... back to the footy - an away point we would've taken gladly a few weeks ago 😁👍🏻

Edited by Cantiaci Canary

48 minutes ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

That isn't bending the past ... that's a cold hard fact.

What is bending the past is when you use it to forge 'a sense of belonging'. That's what I was responding to in Nora's initial post (and I think you know that 😉).

I was countering the suggestion that kids are losing out today due to the education they receive (apologies Nora if you didn't intend to imply that!).

Historians shouldn't (and don't) deal in nostalgia and romance - for good reason. Despite the efforts of politicians and media pressure.

But anyway... back to the footy - an away point we would've taken gladly a few weeks ago 😁👍🏻

Can you give an example of where politicians have used effort to get historians to deal in romance?

All the usual suspects - except one.....unusual. Still there's always time.

Politicising a Football Forum

Happens every day.

Day in Day out.

OP is now or has become 'Non-Football'