Sign in to follow this  
Fr. Chewy Louie

Kabak

When Ben Godfrey was here, we used to get periodic calls to convert him to a centre-mid.  As we could still do with another DM, I nominate Ozan as a new candidate for the CB > DM conversion.

More seriously, will he be regretting coming here? Presumably he thought he's walk into a starting place, but I suspect Omobamidele is ahead of him now.

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

Will be interesting to see where he is on Tuseday. Was rather strange he was not even on the bench for Wolves and was not mentioned by Smith at all.

Second game in a row, very odd unless he's got an injury or a personal situation they aren't telling us about.

5 minutes ago, king canary said:

Second game in a row, very odd unless he's got an injury or a personal situation they aren't telling us about.

Please,  no more personal situations.  The spekkylayshun they create is unbelievable. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Matt Juler said:

He's recovering from glandular fever, something that can knock you out for a few weeks. 

Ah I must have missed that! Glad he hasn't just been written off or anything.

He may be recovering from glandular fever, but I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Deano isn’t looking at him and thinking ‘spare loan slot’ by the time January rolls around. 

• Like 1

He's recovering from glandular fever. Gibson and Hanley are the first choice at the moment so with Andy on the bench there's enough cover to allow Kabak to recover fully

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Ah I must have missed that! Glad he hasn't just been written off or anything.

Certainly as things stand its Hanley and Gibson shirts to lose.

8 hours ago, Hackney Canary said:

He may be recovering from glandular fever, but I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Deano isn’t looking at him and thinking ‘spare loan slot’ by the time January rolls around. 

only in football can everyone be our mate within days  good old Deano 😉

dont think international players use a loan slot in effect they are classed as joining the club on a short term contract with all the paperwork being signed over for the duration

• Like 1

I'd heard he was still suffering from dizziness following his attempted pirouette out of defence in his last game. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, hogesar said:

With Omabamidele definitely in number three spot (will be number one by the end of the season IMO). I cant see Kabak featuring much under DS. Zimmermann to hopefully get fit as well and might even end up fifth choice.

4 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

With Omabamidele definitely in number three spot (will be number one by the end of the season IMO). I cant see Kabak featuring much under DS. Zimmermann to hopefully get fit as well and might even end up fifth choice.

I mean we have no idea what DS thinks of him, I doubt DS knows himself given that he will have been out of training since he arrived. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hogesar said:

Hanley is doing his best to chuck in a goal a game under Smith so he isn't exactly nailing down his spot.

Edited by king canary

54 minutes ago, 1902 said:

I mean we have no idea what DS thinks of him, I doubt DS knows himself given that he will have been out of training since he arrived. 

Agreed. Could love him, could want him out the door. He's been so unlucky with injuries the last two years.

25 minutes ago, king canary said:

Hanley is doing his best to chuck in a goal a game under Smith so he isn't exactly nailing down his spot.

I'd be very surprised if Hanley loses his place in a Smith side. I'm sure they'll be speaking about a couple of errors but his general performance levels have been very good.

4 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I'd be very surprised if Hanley loses his place in a Smith side. I'm sure they'll be speaking about a couple of errors but his general performance levels have been very good.

I imagine Smith wants experience which is fair. But fundamentally he was at fault for the goal v Southampton and has been bailed out twice by Krul across the last two games. Lots of nice blocks and stuff is fine but if you keep making the kind of errors that will cost goals then your place will always be under threat, especially with such a talented youngster as Omobamidele waiting in the wings.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, king canary said:

I imagine Smith wants experience which is fair. But fundamentally he was at fault for the goal v Southampton and has been bailed out twice by Krul across the last two games. Lots of nice blocks and stuff is fine but if you keep making the kind of errors that will cost goals then your place will always be under threat, especially with such a talented youngster as Omobamidele waiting in the wings.

I think this is right. When games are so tight you just can't afford unforced errors at the back. I don't get the impression that Smith will allow it to continue to be honest 

12 hours ago, Matt Juler said:

He's recovering from glandular fever, something that can knock you out for a few weeks. 

Some people feel tired for several months after glandular fever, lets hope he isn't one of them.

4 minutes ago, Hairy Canary said:

I think this is right. When games are so tight you just can't afford unforced errors at the back. I don't get the impression that Smith will allow it to continue to be honest 

Football is a game of fine margins and Hanley has been riding his luck with them. If it wasn't for a couple of excellent bits of keeping from Krul we could have been looking at 1 point from 2 games under Smith and he'd be carrying the lions share of the blame.

We're defending significantly better as a team so far so the excuses of being left exposed aren't there for the defence any more. Hanley can't keep switching off and potentially undermining that.

39 minutes ago, king canary said:

Hanley and Krul don't inspire confidence at the back when passing it around. How playing out from the back style Farkeball ever worked at all with those two is a bit of a mystery, guessing it was ok at championship level, but not at PL level.  Hanley will have to be at his very best and that we keep picking up points with him in the team, because Omobamidele must be a very strong contender to take his place should we need changes.

53 minutes ago, king canary said:

Well, he also scored a goal, Gibson made just as bad a mistake, just further out. I would say we still need to give players time. They may still be working Farke-ball out of their system a bit.

If you think any of our defenders are going to get through 90mins at this level confidently and without an error, I would say that's more than wishful thinking. We can only hope that it's far enough away from the goal it doesn't cost us. Both nearly did, though to be fair, Krul was asking for the ball in his situation.

Edited by chicken

13 minutes ago, chicken said:

Well, he also scored a goal, Gibson made just as bad a mistake, just further out. I would say we still need to give players time. They may still be working Farke-ball out of their system a bit.

If you think any of our defenders are going to get through 90mins at this level confidently and without an error, I would say that's more than wishful thinking. We can only hope that it's far enough away from the goal it doesn't cost us. Both nearly did, though to be fair, Krul was asking for the ball in his situation.

It is a strawman to suggest I'm saying players should go through the game without errors. However plenty of players go through a game without an error that leads directly to an excellent goalscoring chance, as Hanley has done the last two weeks.

Yes Gibson made an error but as you say it was further out. Positional awareness is important, you know you've got more leeway to make an error the further up the pitch you are and the more cover you have behind you. Defenders have to be smart enough to weigh up the situation when deciding what to do.   

• Like 1

We’ve been a little lucky with Hanley, he’s just prone to a mistake or two, yes he got the winner but for me Omobamdele is the more accomplished defender even at his young age.

Kabak has the potential to be a very good CB but not sure this move will be good for him here as Smith will no doubt rely on experience in a relegation fight, pretty much as other managers would too.

1 minute ago, king canary said:

It is a strawman to suggest I'm saying players should go through the game without errors. However plenty of players go through a game without an error that leads directly to an excellent goalscoring chance, as Hanley has done the last two weeks.

Yes Gibson made an error but as you say it was further out. Positional awareness is important, you know you've got more leeway to make an error the further up the pitch you are and the more cover you have behind you. Defenders have to be smart enough to weigh up the situation when deciding what to do.   

😅 Sorry, but you have to laugh if you think players choose when they are going to make a mistake... Gibson certainly wasn't taking a gamble, and it did lead to a chance. He was also not in a high pressure situation at that moment.

Hanley was, but it was also between him and Krul, not just him. Krul could tell him to just smash it out - he clearly calls for it. The error belongs to both of them. Hanley plays the ball as Krul takes a step back increasing the distance between him and the ball. In fairness, we also had more defenders back as well.

I just find it interesting that folks will jump on the backs of players quite happily and jump ship as their stock sinks as a result.

After the Leicester game people were writing off Gibson as being too slow for the PL and to start And O in his place. Now he can do no wrong, and Hanley is back to being the whipping boy.

I think they were both fine, and unlike previous games, our entire defence and midfield were far more alert and better positioned to help their team mates.

1 minute ago, chicken said:

I just find it interesting that folks will jump on the backs of players quite happily and jump ship as their stock sinks as a result.

After the Leicester game people were writing off Gibson as being too slow for the PL and to start And O in his place. Now he can do no wrong, and Hanley is back to being the whipping boy.

OK so...take it up with someone who is doing that then?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Indy said:

We’ve been a little lucky with Hanley, he’s just prone to a mistake or two, yes he got the winner but for me Omobamdele is the more accomplished defender even at his young age.

Kabak has the potential to be a very good CB but not sure this move will be good for him here as Smith will no doubt rely on experience in a relegation fight, pretty much as other managers would too.

If Smith is going to rely on experience then Omobamidele has less than Kabak. I think both will play their part this season, we'll certainly need both. Kabak is clearly a bit of a rough diamond still, but he's also very young at 21, especially for a CB.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, king canary said:

OK so...take it up with someone who is doing that then?

Didn't suggest you were per-se, just interesting that Hanley's mistake - which would be considered a 'forced error' is deemed worse than Gibson's which was 'unforced' yet both led to shots on goal. One player should be dropped, the other is in fine form.

Worth noting that Hanley is comfortably our best defender in the air, and is probably the most physical 'presence' we have too, whilst also having more pace than Gibson.

Like I say, i'd be very surprised if Hanley loses his place under Smith

• Like 1