Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Josip Drmić the top scorer helping his club to the title

They are 2nd and the season doesn't finish until May you oddball. 

Agreed that he was treated poorly, but it would be perfectly valid to point out the poor standard of that league. 

13 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I'm sure there will be some who will be all 'hurr found his level' but hey I'm happy for him. How he was treated under Farke was a disgrace.

drmicic.png

I completely disagree . He was not good enough for Norwich and never looked like becoming so. It was the correct decision to sideline him. The fact he is doing well in a much less competitive league is pleasing for him, but entirely irrelevant to what happened here.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Eh?  How was Drmic treated poorly?  He was given plenty of chances and failed pretty much every time.

Having his manager tell the press that he was injured when he wasn't (that happened to more than one player didn't it) and being forced to get changed in a shed at Colney to keep him away from other players is quite disrespectful to a 35 cap International footballer I feel.

There were plenty as bad as him following the restart in that season, felt pretty obvious that we were trying to make things miserable for him so he'd walk away from his contract. 

In the second half of that last Premier League season he really wasn't any worse than Pukki, whole squad was completely devoid of confidence.

I’ve lost track with Drmic have we sold him or is he still on loan?

if in loan perhaps Smith will want to have a look at him in January as we do need to have someone as back up to Pukki and I don’t think Idah is anywhere near ready (and I do wonder if ever will be good  enough). Alternatively we might at least get some money back if he has a good oid season

9 minutes ago, rock bus said:

I’ve lost track with Drmic have we sold him or is he still on loan?

if in loan perhaps Smith will want to have a look at him in January as we do need to have someone as back up to Pukki and I don’t think Idah is anywhere near ready (and I do wonder if ever will be good  enough). Alternatively we might at least get some money back if he has a good oid season

Still out on loan. Given Smith is about giving players left out a new chance.. loan out Idah and bring back Drmic?

56 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Having his manager tell the press that he was injured when he wasn't (that happened to more than one player didn't it) and being forced to get changed in a shed at Colney to keep him away from other players is quite disrespectful to a 35 cap International footballer I feel.

There were plenty as bad as him following the restart in that season, felt pretty obvious that we were trying to make things miserable for him so he'd walk away from his contract. 

In the second half of that last Premier League season he really wasn't any worse than Pukki, whole squad was completely devoid of confidence.

Oh come on, that is a rewrite of history. Drmic couldn't get a shot on target from 15 yards the whole time he was at Norwich - and that isn't an exageration.  And if a manager says a player isn't fit it does not mean he is injured.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Oh come on, that is a rewrite of history. Drmic couldn't get a shot on target from 15 yards the whole time he was at Norwich - and that isn't an exageration.  And if a manager says a player isn't fit it does not mean he is injured.

He scored against 3 premier league sides

15 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I think your lack of positivity towards poor Drmic during his time at the club took a toll on him. He could sense the negative vibes from your direction and it weighed down his shooting boots. With those vibes now gone, he's a new man.

I hope you learn from this.

OTBC

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Also scored the goal that took us to pens against Spurs

That was one of the three sides I was referring to. 

i always felt there was a player there. 

29 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

That was one of the three sides I was referring to. 

i always felt there was a player there. 

There was. Just not a very good one!!

• Like 1

Scored more Prem goals than nearly £30M worth of new signings have, I imagine some of his 13 goals this season have come from 15 yards plus. 

Disgustingly treated, perhaps Smith can get more out of him-as he has with most of the team. 

He actually scored ONE premier goal. Do you really think that Rashica will score fewer than that. His other 2 goals were in the cup. On that level both Tzolis and Sergeant have scored. How about a campaign to protect the obviously victimised  ( but utterly useless) Kyle Lafferty or Stephen Naismith?

Drmic had plenty of chances to prove himself here and fluffed it every single time. The only highlight I recall is his incredibly bundled goal in the cup against Spurs. Definitely not where near close to outing Pukki but I'm glad he's got himself back to a good place

Drmic is an interesting one. He joined having struggled significantly with injuries and if you're looking to get that sort of sharpness back you probably aren't going to get it in 10/15 minute cameos off the bench every other week. So a season or so out on loan as a regular starter means he might be a different player if we bought him back into the fold as he'd hopefully be sharper than what we saw under Farke.

Saying that, his public persona oozed a certain level of 'me me me' cockiness that I can imagine didn't endear him. We don't know what he was like behind the scenes but it did seem that Farke's decision to completely cut him out was a touch excessive.

Seems likely to be that injuries have taken their toll physically, and money has taken the edge off mentally - it doesn't appear that he has the hunger to reach the level we need him to be at, or he'd be happy with, given he'd have next to no chance of being ahead of Pukki.

Having said all that, is he a better option than Idah?

Looks that Sargent is more suited to being a wide forward than someone we'd want through the middle, so we're really quite light at CF

Edited by kirku

2 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:
3 hours ago, lake district canary said:

He scored against 3 premier league sides

Not from than 15 yards. All tap ins.

Edited by lake district canary

So? He scored against three prem teams. The perception you have that he is useless is just the fact he was scapegoated half the season. There wasn’t many players who covered themselves in glory that year.

3 hours ago, Commonsense said:

He actually scored ONE premier goal. Do you really think that Rashica will score fewer than that. His other 2 goals were in the cup. On that level both Tzolis and Sergeant have scored. How about a campaign to protect the obviously victimised  ( but utterly useless) Kyle Lafferty or Stephen Naismith?

That's one more than those three have scored in more games, but we're happy with them. The biggest problem yesterday was not being able to convert chances and we're wasting Rashica's ability by not being able to get on the end of his crosses. 

Naismith managed to score ( v Liverpool) and was a decent player till we got hold of him. 

Let's all remember Ryan Jarvis scored an absolute peach against Liverpool once, you can't judge a player on individual moments but you can judge Drmic on a season of complete woe 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Commonsense said:

He actually scored ONE premier goal. 

I mean.... Mitrovic only scored 3 last season.

Drmic only started 7 league games! 

These little details are important for context.

If there is no budget for a striker in January, but we can recall either one of Drmic or Hugill then I'd fully support Dean Smith bringing one or both of them back as we are clearly desperately short in that position.

And of the two.... the one with the spring in his step is almost certainly going to be Drmic... Hugill is struggling at West Brom.