Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Wolves

I was out bright and early this morning to go for my flu jab and there was no sign of the forecast bad weather, in fact it was sunny, dry and with hardly a breath of wind when I left home at 8.15am. Unfortunately things went rapidly down hill after a fine morning and about lunchtime the wind was starting to blow and it began tipping it down.  it was obvious that the waterproof strides were about to get their first run out of the season.

It was good to see the boys push forward straight from the off and immediately Rashica looked very lively down the left while Sargent was his energetic self down the right. An early corner and a Pukki shot over the bar looked promising and when Pukki won a footrace down the right and pulled the ball back to Sargent on the edge of the area the crowd in front of me were out of their seats only to see the effort fly well over. the top. the visitors soon got into their stride however and began to dominate possession. There always seemed to be an outlet ball to either wing and one or two accurate long passes had the home defence scampering back to cover. One quick ball across almost got Jiminez in but thankfully his shot was off target.

For the first time this season we looked as though we belonged in this league and despite some clever movement and good passing the home defence rarely looked troubled apart from a couple of times when they faffed about instead of clearing. Just after the half hour there was a blow for City when Norman had to limp off. He had already been down a couple of times but it was apparent he couldn't continue. Rupp came on as sub and surprisingly it didn't appear to upset the balance much as City continued in the ascendancy for the remainder of the half.

Conditions were not great with squalls of rain sweeping across the pitch intermittently and City almost paid a penalty when Hanley and Krul got in a pickle and Krul had to block with his legs as Wolves were nearly presented with a gift. Back up the other end City were as close to a goal as they had come all half. A great run into the box by Aarons, a return pass from Rupp and a shot that the Wolves custodian did well to block with his feet.

It was an encouraging first forty five and already looked like a single goal would be enough to win it. That goal almost came for the visitors as Gibson lost control on halfway and the Wolves forward made tracks towards goal. Thankfully Gibson redeemed himself with a clearance on the six yard line. City were soon back on top again with Rashica particularly having a fine game on the left. There were a handful of half chances but nobody could really work a good opening as Wolves defenders got in a series of last ditch blocks. Tzolis came on for Sargent with twenty minutes left and it nearly sparked a goal as Rupp put Pukki in the clear inside the box. I couldn't see from my end but it looked like he didn't make proper contact and Sa was able to block.

As time ticked away Rupp almost broke the deadlock after a great run and pass from Rashica but his side footed effort had neither power or direction and the keeper collected comfortably. Rashica then received great applause as he was replaced by Dowell who just before the end almost found Pukki with a low ball into the box, unfortunately the City talisman was unable to conect.

All things considered it was a good performance and well worth getting a bit wet, all that was lacking was the winning goal. A decent effort from all, Aarons and Williams good at the back, Kenny lively in midfield, Rupp did well for his sixty minutes and Sargent was always full of running  but tonight my MOM goes to Milot Rashica.

Edited by ricardo
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 7

Certainly with you there Ricardo. Rashica was my mom in a much improved performance by the side who were defensively superb. Thanks for the report. Spot on.

• Thanks 1

Very fair report from my vantage point in front of a pretty good dodgy stream. Very refreshing to see a City team really competing in this league.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Ricardo.

A really encouraging performance today: Wolves rarely looked like scoring and we bossed large parts of the game. Shame we didn't get what the performance deserved.

• Thanks 1

Thanks as ever Ricardo. Seems to me that Dean is starting to impart his style and ethics onto the players and even if if we couldn't find that essential finish, we may be beginning to feel that we can at least survive the season.

• Thanks 1

Would have taken a point before the game but in the end disappointed we didn’t win. Wolves looked nothing special despite their lofty position in the League.  Shame Leeds got a point at Brighton.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bolland said:

Thanks as ever Ricardo. Seems to me that Dean is starting to impart his style and ethics onto the players and even if if we couldn't find that essential finish, we may be beginning to feel that we can at least survive the season.

Yes, for the first time this season it felt like we were playing a team from the same league. Too often we have stood off and looked like we came from 3 leagues below.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Myra Hawtree said:

Would have taken a point before the game but in the end disappointed we didn’t win. Wolves looked nothing special despite their lofty position in the League.  Shame Leeds got a point at Brighton.

Yes Myra, I said the other night I wouldn't be unhappy with a point but on that performance we should have had all three.

I can do without weather like that for the rest of the season though, not pleasant on my bike.😉

I watched the Brighton game whilst doing my report. Brighton missed several sitters then nearly gifted it to Leeds so a draw is the best result for us.

Edited by ricardo

Just now, Myra Hawtree said:

Good thing you had your waterproof strides whatever they are!

Ha Ha

Waterproof Trousers

You have to keep warm at my age😀

As I saw the game too Ricardo. Rashica was my MOM, and we looked like we belonged. Wolves are good side , in good form. We competed as well as any games this year . 
Blo0dy awful weather - got soaked in the walk home ! 

59 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Great to see Max getting back to his best

He was my next best.

16 hours ago, ricardo said:

Yes, for the first time this season it felt like we were playing a team from the same league. Too often we have stood off and looked like we came from 3 leagues below.

For all Farkes good work, we often looked too timid. Play safe. Even if that means messing about and not clearing the ball.  Rashida needs to start to cut in and have a go himself. Beating Newcastle would be excellent, for many reasons. But I'll take a draw if it means another clean sheet. One goal conceded in the past three games. Massive improvement. Push that to four games and we have something to build on

16 hours ago, ricardo said:

Ha Ha

Waterproof Trousers

You have to keep warm at my age😀

Round our way strides are underwear, and I've heard people call football shorts strides too. Same part of the anatomy, but never south of the thighs. 

Thanks for another excellent report 👍

• Thanks 1