cambridgeshire canary

Now THAT was a Premier League performance

Nice little cameo from Dowell when he came on, always looking to put Pukki through with a clever ball, something we have been missing.

• Like 1

As a lot have already said, a really good PL performance. Full of intent and bravery, loads of energy, no sitting off. As I was sitting there watching it all unfold, I thought it was the kind of performance we used to see regularly under a certain former manager who also had Villa connections. Collective endeavour, and a growing sense of belief, making us, perhaps, more than the sum of our parts. If only we could have nicked the win. Although in fact it wouldn’t have been a steal. 

10 minutes ago, VillaFan said:

When u guys got Smith there were an awful lot of under impressed yellow fans.

There were also a lot of impressed city fans, me being one of them. 

I felt that S Webber saw the sacking of DS felt he had chance to get a good manager with a point to prove. And so far it appears to be the case.

OTBC

1 minute ago, East Rider said:

There were also a lot of impressed city fans, me being one of them. 

I felt that S Webber saw the sacking of DS felt he had chance to get a good manager with a point to prove. And so far it appears to be the case.

OTBC

It does appear a little opportunistic as Farke was sacked before Smith. But hey, an attribute of a good leader is to be able to spot a good opportunity and exploit it. The icing on the cake is that you didn't have to pay any compensation  

We went against #6 Wolves who've been flying high and they had nothing on us. Nothing.

8 minutes ago, Upo said:

We went against #6 Wolves who've been flying high and they had nothing on us. Nothing.

Just seen something that said it's the lowest number of shots we have restricted a prem team too in many years

14 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Mention also for Dowell, that cross to Pukki was sublime. Just needed a touch.

Yes, great cross. We don't play enough early ones like that. Caught them cold and Pukki was oh so close.

OTBC

2 hours ago, GenerationA47 said:

Totally agree. Can they keep this level up? It will be interesting- even exciting - to find out

"Keep it up"? We're here on merit and players like Tzolis, Cantwell yet to get in their stride.  We will improve on this.

1 minute ago, Google Bot said:

"Keep it up"? We're here on merit and players like Tzolis, Cantwell yet to get in their stride.  We will improve on this.

Oh, ok thanks for lecturing me & explaining the future

1 minute ago, GenerationA47 said:

Oh, ok thanks for lecturing me & explaining the future

No probs, It's something I do unconsciously for the insecure.  

1 hour ago, VillaFan said:

It does appear a little opportunistic as Farke was sacked before Smith. But hey, an attribute of a good leader is to be able to spot a good opportunity and exploit it. The icing on the cake is that you didn't have to pay any compensation  

Yes a definitely opportunistic appointment.  SW is a straight talking chap and if he says he saw the chance once he knew DS was available, then any other probable was probably pushed down the pecking order immediately, despite what they may say.

Good appointment and I can see him being a city favourite. 

• Like 1

Yes, a really good performance and we look a totally different side, but let’s not get ahead of ourselves.  We need to keep it going so let’s see what happens in the proverbial 6-pointer away at Newcastle.

That’s the third game in a row I felt more than satisfied with our performance.

I just hope this isn’t a brief good moment of form that takes us out of the bottom three, only to end back up in it and go down. Blackburn in 2011-12, Reading in 2012-13 and Hull in 2016-17 all went though a good spell only for that to end and then go back to the bottom three where they were before that run started and then stayed there.

Once we get out of the bottom three and that is IF we do, I hope we don’t go the same way later.

25 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

No probs, It's something I do unconsciously for the insecure.  

Well, why use a brain when you can just think with the gut 👍🏼. The fake security of certainty & arrogance must be a comfort indeed for those in need of a personal boost.

2 hours ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

Yes, great cross. We don't play enough early ones like that. Caught them cold and Pukki was oh so close.

OTBC

That was the ball. Rashica has been excellent last two games but if I have one criticism it’s that his favoured cut back onto the right foot and cross into the box doesn’t quite work with Pukki’s movements. Needs to go on the outside more and cut it back like he did for the Rupp chance. Sure the understanding will fine though. 

2 hours ago, Naturalcynic said:

Yes, a really good performance and we look a totally different side, but let’s not get ahead of ourselves.  We need to keep it going so let’s see what happens in the proverbial 6-pointer away at Newcastle.

Yes. Would be very “along came Norwich” to go there and let them kick start their season. 

5 hours ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Dean Smith has fixed pretty much every issue I had with the team in such a short period of time. We press high, we tackle, we get the ball forward quickly, the defense is organized, we don't switch off from throw ins, we are a threat from set pieces and every player is giving 100%. 

More miraculously though is the individual improvement of some of our players. Rashica and Mclean look different players, Pukki looks energized and even Rupp and Dowell when they came on suddenly looked like PL players. Whatever is going on at Colney is brilliant and exactly what we needed. 

Dean Smith is looking to be a great signing for us, I'm not sure how he has transformed our squad like he has but 3 games ago we looked head and shoulders the worst team in the league, possibly the worst premier league team in history. We now look like a team that can get points off anyone outside the top 6. I know we beat Brentford under Farke but we still looked a shambles in that game at times.

6 hours ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Dean Smith has fixed pretty much every issue I had with the team in such a short period of time. We press high, we tackle, we get the ball forward quickly, the defense is organized, we don't switch off from throw ins, we are a threat from set pieces and every player is giving 100%. 

More miraculously though is the individual improvement of some of our players. Rashica and Mclean look different players, Pukki looks energized and even Rupp and Dowell when they came on suddenly looked like PL players. Whatever is going on at Colney is brilliant and exactly what we needed. 

I agree with what you say. Rupp was excellent. I’m not sure about Dowell. He looks too slow for the PL although his delivery can be very good. 

7 hours ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

1st time poster here.

Part of where things went wrong with Farke was he lost the ability to motivate the players, at times seemed to undermine their self belief on his comments. As an example, that famous rant about Rupp was unnecessary. A self sustaining club like ours needs to sell from time to time, and while dropping back to the championship is not great (albeit expected), going down with depreciating assets is.worse. Dean understood it's far easier to get performances out of the team if players are motivated and engaged. Leaving Cantwell, Gilmour, Tzolis out in the cold sent the wrong message.

Screenshot_20211127-174122~2.png

• Like 1

Very pleased with todays performance and disappointed with the result. It's been a while in the top flight where we haven't got what our performance deserved.

When Norman had to go off, I was hoping to see Lees-Melou in in his stead, but Rupp was one of our outstanding performers today.

Rashica also looks some player, if he can just get that first goal I feel he can go on a tear.

On 27/11/2021 at 17:57, Ward 3 said:

Very unlucky with the ball through to pukki. We played very well indeed.. is it new manager bounce or is smith better than I thought 

he was being booed evertime he touched the ball but uncertain if it was home fans or away

wouldnt put it past the barcley the booed Iwan Robert constantly in his first season everytime he got the ball

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Paul101 said:

he was being booed evertime he touched the ball but uncertain if it was home fans or away

wouldnt put it past the barcley the booed Iwan Robert constantly in his first season everytime he got the ball

Why are you making things up?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Paul101 said:

I would be interested to see anyone back that claim up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul101 said:

Utter, utter rubbish. 

He put in a superb performance and was rightly applauded for it. 

1 hour ago, Paul101 said:

I didnt hear a single boo?