cambridgeshire canary

Now THAT was a Premier League performance

Excellent performance against a very good Premiership side. Made them look very average. We just need to be more clinical in front of goal now, but we're creating chances!!!

Edited by Michael Starr
  • Like 1

Dean Smith has fixed pretty much every issue I had with the team in such a short period of time. We press high, we tackle, we get the ball forward quickly, the defense is organized, we don't switch off from throw ins, we are a threat from set pieces and every player is giving 100%. 

More miraculously though is the individual improvement of some of our players. Rashica and Mclean look different players, Pukki looks energized and even Rupp and Dowell when they came on suddenly looked like PL players. Whatever is going on at Colney is brilliant and exactly what we needed. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Paul101 said:

Rupp was excellent when he came on

Top 10 things nobody ever thought anyone would say 

Remarkable turnaround from him, well played to him done very well

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

Thought that was an excellent performance all round, just didn't quite create good enough chances to win. Suspect that might be our epitaph this season, but if that's the standard from now on, we are going to put up quite the fight. OTBC

A performance full of energy, endeavour and some genuinely quality passing through the lines at times, aside from the farting about at the back (Hanley needs a word in the ear) you couldnt fault that today, Pukki HAS to score that chance though.

• Like 1

from all this talk so soon after the game I'm guessing some of you have seen the match? Can I ask if there's one of those nawty channels doing the rounds that actually works. Thanks in advance.

What a difference in performance!!!! Unfortunately Farke was the limiting factor in this league as the team looks completely different now Smith has taken over. Our tackling, work rate and desire have all improved and we now look competitive in this league, which we very rarely did under Farke. 

I know it's early days but it feels like we've now have a chance of staying up 

• Like 2

Well we've just deservedly beaten Southampton and outplayed Wolves.  Both are very solid Prem outfits.  From that evidence we can take points from anyone outside the top 6.

I was confused for a moment. Obviously I have just signed onto some alternative-universe pink un message-board. The simplest answers are usually the right ones...🤩

Yes, actually looked like we were a Premier League side. Real shame Rupp or Pukki couldn't take either of their chances 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Yes, actually looked like we were a Premier League side. Real shame Rupp or Pukki couldn't take either of their chances 

That's my biggest takeaway from it. This and the second half of the Southampton game we have looked like a decent Prem team... But most of all we have looked like we belong. Not just little old Norwich from the Championship. I was worried that we would not be able to keep up the standards of that second half against the Saints but thankfuly seems I was wrong. Here's hoping we play the same against Newcastle (who let's be honest are right now much worse than Wolves) and I feel we may stand a chance at 3 points..

31 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Dean Smith has fixed pretty much every issue I had with the team in such a short period of time. We press high, we tackle, we get the ball forward quickly, the defense is organized, we don't switch off from throw ins, we are a threat from set pieces and every player is giving 100%. 

More miraculously though is the individual improvement of some of our players. Rashica and Mclean look different players, Pukki looks energized and even Rupp and Dowell when they came on suddenly looked like PL players. Whatever is going on at Colney is brilliant and exactly what we needed. 

Amazing what a good PL coaching team can do. ALL the guys are happy and energised. Now !!!

15 minutes ago, Mengo said:

Amazing what a good PL coaching team can do. ALL the guys are happy and energised. Now !!!

Exactly Since Smith and Shakespeare have been here i have felt more confident 

i do not know what it is but the very first Training video you can see shakey joking with players etc seems they knew how to get the players on side and believing 

Nice to see some confidence on the field and feel it in the crowd. Mid field looks transformed

Edited by Van wink
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Paul101 said:

Rupp was excellent when he came on

Very unlucky with the ball through to pukki. We played very well indeed.. is it new manager bounce or is smith better than I thought 

40 minutes ago, spencer 1970 said:

from all this talk so soon after the game I'm guessing some of you have seen the match? Can I ask if there's one of those nawty channels doing the rounds that actually works. Thanks in advance.

Hesgoals 👍

• Like 1

Managed to wangle a ticket for today, from my seat in the upper Barclay I witnessed a proper Premier League performance. To a man they were excellent, Hanley had a couple of suicide moments but apart from that we were solid, pressed well across the pitch, forced plenty of turnovers and defending the box like lions. Just needed a little bit of quality in the box to get the 3 points but we frustrated Wolves who gave up around the 75 minute mark. Special mention to Williams and Aarons who were excellent, Rashica who was superb going forwards and Gilmour who showed why he should have been playing under Farke. Cracking 90 mins and another point toward survival, now let’s cut Newcastle adrift on Tuesday night!

• Like 4

An outstanding performance - 14 attempts to their 4. We are now 3 points clear of Newcastle thanks to a favour from the Gunners and only behind Burnley on GD (who host Spurs tomorrow) so victory on Tuesday will bring us 6 points clear of the bottom

Another thing to note is that I've never seen the players breathing as heavily as they have in the last two games, when Normann went down I was actually worried it was going to be another heart issue given how hard he was breathing, I have never seen him or any other player out of breath once before these last two games. Other players too are really busting a gut whereas before they would often walk off the pitch at the end looking like they'd just been for a walk.

The biggest issue under Farke for me was the lack of intensity in our play, how slowly we got up and down the pitch and our poor work rate off the ball, that is why we can look so good at Championship level when we can dominate the ball and so poor at this level when we often don't have it. People were often mystified why we can go from so good to so bad but it always looked obvious to me why we struggled with the step up. 

I'm so happy that Smith has immediately identified that problem and quickly worked to fix it because that to me has always been the key to survival, if you're one of the poorer sides then you simply have to out-work the opposition as a minimum. 

Villa Fan in Peace..

I have always liked Norwich due to the fact that a girlfriend about 30 years was a Norwich fan, hence I pop in here every now and then. The change on this forum is nearly as big as the change on the pitch. Farke, although he did great to get 2 promotions is very quickly becoming a distant memory. When u guys got Smith there were an awful lot of under impressed yellow fans. I like Smith and I posted on here that I think he is a perfect fit for Norwich and that I think u guys will really grow to like him and the football he gets Norwich playing. It is great to see see two good Premier League performances and roll on The Toon, you have to be favourites to win that. After all, it is Newcastle that are now the laughing stock of the PL that can't muster up a win or a decent performance. I hope the good times continue and u manage to avoid the drop this season, I think you now have a fighting chance this season. It should be an enjoyable ride to next May.

Best of luck against Newcastle

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

So far, so good. At the same time we do seem to need a lot of chances, and it's still very early to say whether this is a more permanent trend or just part of a new manager bounce where players all think their shirts are up for grabs once again. Rashica's definitely started looking like the player we thought we were going to get, tricky, fast, and aggressive when in possession.

Hanley's had a schnitzer in both games under Smith so far. I'll accept we need some experience, but you'd think Kabak (who's also had a schnitzer in him) and Omobamidele are champing at the bit. That was a proven quality Wolves side we had under pressure today though, so hard not to like what was going on though.