Sign in to follow this  
Google Bot

Womens world cup results

Anyone seen some of the scores tonight?

Northern Ireland won 11-0

Spain won 12-0

And Belgium won 19-0

Spain leading their group, played 4 games +35 goal difference.

But what wound me up a little was reading the opening line of the BBC Northern Ireland match report "Rachel Furness equalled David Healy's record of 36 goals for Northern Ireland"

Not sure I'm comfortable with them merging the male and female games like that with such wide disparity, it's still in it's infancy really.  And hope official records don't go down this route in a bid to encompass the game as a whole.  I get that it would be a nice to raise the profile of the womans game, but the parity isn't there for it to be a fair reflection statistically.

• Like 3

See what you’re saying and I agree, it’s the same sport but a very different game 

the disparity between the professional woman’s game and amateur has widened in recent seasons hence those big results 

I can’t think of another sport where they combine these stats, tennis for instance don’t for sure 

Uh, yeah. You can’t merge the sub-sets of the sport any more than you can mix professional and amateur games.

You wouldn’t say “Usain Bolts just trashed the women’s 100m record, try and keep up ladies!”

what matters in sport is competition. If women’s football is competitive it doesn’t matter what the men or anyone else is doing. That’s why you don’t have heavyweight and lightweight boxers fighting one another. Having different lanes is fine as long as it’s inclusive lol.

Edited by The Real Buh

I mean, at the end of the day the sentence is factual and to that point absolutely correct. It's still a big achievement to score 36 goals for your country, a dream very few get to even play for. I get your point but no need to bash the womens game, it's great the profile of the sport has risen so much in recent years, not least because of the success of the team here in England who are no doubt capable of winning something at some point

31 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Anyone seen some of the scores tonight?

Northern Ireland won 11-0

Spain won 12-0

And Belgium won 19-0

Spain leading their group, played 4 games +35 goal difference.

But what wound me up a little was reading the opening line of the BBC Northern Ireland match report "Rachel Furness equalled David Healy's record of 36 goals for Northern Ireland"

Not sure I'm comfortable with them merging the male and female games like that with such wide disparity, it's still in it's infancy really.  And hope official records don't go down this route in a bid to encompass the game as a whole.  I get that it would be a nice to raise the profile of the womans game, but the parity isn't there for it to be a fair reflection statistically.

That is comedy gold!!!! Me and the Mrs still chucklin!    

Might be just me but I don’t think the men’s game and the integrity of its recordkeeping  is as under threat from a throwaway media line like this as some maybe feeling. It sounds like it’s  just an illustrative comparison across two non-competing versions of the same sport.

@Yobocop - tennis records are separate but doesn’t stop players like Andy Murray being keen to keep men & women’s tennis on equal footing, despite being distinct competitions. He rightly corrects reporters who say things like ‘you’re the first Wimbledon winner since X (man)’.