Sign in to follow this  
Saint Canary

Etuhu - Why Bother?

Why did we sign Etuhu? 

I am not talking about whether he has played well or not, forget about that for now.  I am talking about spending close to £1/2m on a player that Worthy didn''t feel was worth having on the bench yesterday?  Etuhu is behind Hooze, Safri and Robinson in the pecking order and I just cannot see the logic in signing him for a transfer fee. 

At the time we bought him Worthy used ALL of our remaining transfer budget on buying him and we later were lent money to buy Robinson.  We had him on loan, Worthy got a good look at him, he must of known he prefered other players, so why buy him?  Surely this money could have been spent on buying Robinson and/or a right midfielder?

I have nothing against Etuhu, I think given the chance he could partner Saf well but my mind boggles at the decision to buy him and not use him.

The sad thing is, Etuhu clearly does have talent and can play brilliantly. Man City were gutted to lose him a number of years ago. He just doesn''t use it or seem to be bothered. Another one of Worthy''s signings that looked good on paper but has been oh so disappointing in reality!

[quote user="Alex Harvey-Jones"]The sad thing is, Etuhu clearly does have talent and can play brilliantly. Man City were gutted to lose him a number of years ago. He just doesn''t use it or seem to be bothered. Another one of Worthy''s signings that looked good on paper but has been oh so disappointing in reality![/quote]

What 1 decent run and 1 decent pass in 12 appearances, he looks totally immobile?  I dont see any talent there..  I see a few headed goals cos he is big that is all....

I have to agree with you Alex. During the first half of the game against Ipswich he had a half chance from a corner, and put such a lack of effort in to win the header, which was only 2 or 3 yards out - it riled me. I''ve not been impressed with his work rate, or contribution to be honest. As rubbish as I think Hughes is, atleast the man''s dedicated to the cause.

Have to disagree with Rankin on this one. Having seen Etuhu on a number

of occassions I can see there is a threat in there. He''s big, strong,

can pass, can drive forward, can get in a tackle and is actually pretty

fast. The problem with him is all the "cans" in my sentence. He needs

to put more effort in. Unfortunately that''s a real worry because this

needs to be drilled into him and he just doesn''t seem bothered a lot of

the time. Worthy''s keen on workrate so surely he should be drilling him

on this. Yet I get the feeling Etuhu may have fallen down the pecking

order - Jarrett style. He should make the bench against Palace btw, the

only reason he wasn''t in the last game is because he had flu.

If only we could transplant Hughes work ethic and energy into Etuhu.

Has been seen in the lots of time in the past.Roberts, Mcveigh, Mackay, Doc, players that are bought in but take some time to either reach the required fitness level or to fit in to the system played.

Etuhu as done it for other clubs in the past and may well come good here. Didn''t somebody post about how immpressive he looked in training.

Also he might not be first choice but offers an alternative if the pattern of needs to be changed. For example with Hucks and JJ playing wide we would need a more defensivley minded player to partner Safri to preven the Morrocan from being overrun. However Etuhu might be the very man at the top of a diamond midfiled.

I agree bly - he is a good squad man and I am sure that like malky, doc etc he will find a place in the team given time, there have been (allbeit brief)  glimpses of his attacking play to suggest there is more to come;

At the point of a diamond could work as he seems better going forward than with the defensive side of the midfield job,  but would you prefer WLY or Etuhu there?   Personally I would prefer the link up play and creativity of WLY ahead of the powerhouse of etuhu.

I would always prefer the creative guile of WLY or similar. However its always good to have options. Think about it like this, if we were playing bolton or blackburn next week, Etuhu would probebly be more effective along the "fight fire with fire" line of thought

We have too many "squad players" zipper. Jarret, etuhu, charlton, colin, mlj, thorne, ryan j, henderson are all viewed by worthy as players who arent good enough to be a regular, but can do a job if needed. Worthys comment after the brighton game about having 2 quality subs for a change meant that he has a lack of faith in the players listed.

So why play 450k on a "good squad man" which in my view he isnt. He is a "useless, lazy, uncommited waste of space" which worthy now realises. He must have a good reason to leave out a big money signing from the 16. We should be buying young, cheaper but highly rated midfielders who are doing well in the lower leagues. For example preston brought 2 of these typle players with the etubu cash.

I agree Matt - although I think it is only in midfield we have too many ''squad'' players, what we need is a first choice right midfielder (rather than another converted striker - come worthy havent you realised its not working yet?)  and an attacking partner who will also defend to support youssef in the middle then the squad will be going somewhere.

With Etuhu he does give us an option but he was bought as a first choice player but currently does not seem ready for that responsibility.         

So perhaps that is why Hughes is being picked and Etuhu isn''t - more effort even if less talented. Etuhu is languishing in the reserves - it''s down to him to either fight his way into contention (''cos he does have the talent Paul) or to take his money and do nothing. If the latter happens don''t expect to see him next season. The same also applies to JJ (who by all accounts played well against Chelski last night).

Etuhu a few seasons ago was a brilliant player and when he came down here with Preston he was immense. Like people have said before, Man City were gutted to lose him as-well. There is talent there but whether he is not bothered, or is lacking motivation from a certain manager, I''m not sure...

I don''t think Worthy can get the best out of players.

[quote user="Jamie Wright"]

Etuhu a few seasons ago was a brilliant player and when he came down here with Preston he was immense. Like people have said before, Man City were gutted to lose him as-well. There is talent there but whether he is not bothered, or is lacking motivation from a certain manager, I''m not sure...

I don''t think Worthy can get the best out of players.

[/quote]

to be honest Jamie I am not so sure...

was he immense in the 3 nil thrashing we gave then in 2001/2002, he appeared to miss the 4 nil thrashing they gave us that season.  and i do remember him from the 3 nil game - i thought what a player, big frame viera like, I think Dickson fools you like that for a couple of appearances then you realise he doesnt actually do much...

how about in the 2 nil pounding we gave them in 2002/2003, or the 2-1 away victory ( I seem to remember we got very lucky in that one however)

how about the 3-2 home victory over them in 2003/2004 or the 0-0 away draw

Ahh..  it must have been in Prestons 3 nil home win in 2005/2006 [;)]

mcveigh goal at leicester was made from the power and pace of etuhu breaking up an attack and then surging through to play a nice pass for wly. What annoys me is that he is so big and strong he could dominate a midfield by getting stuck in and powering his way through players yet he rarely does this and prefers to stroll around watching the ball go back and forth

People remember Damien Francis as some kind of God of football, but he was just like Etuhu - watched the game pass him by for 90% of every match, letting Holt do all the leg work.

With any luck, Dickson will find his shooting boots and then he can get away with being a slacker, just like Francis did.

Too many ifs and buts  attached  to Etu` ,  lets say it as it is ,  he DOES have an attitude  ,  and he`s just going through the motions !   potentials and possibilites  mean diddly squat   if he`s only here  to draw wages  with the least effort ......   and THAT is what it looks like to me !