Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Brentford to wear same kit next season

5 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Rather interesting to say the least, save the planet and all that.. Although I do feel a part may also be down to cost cutting 😉

https://www.brentfordfc.com/news/2021/november/iconic-first-premier-league-home-kit-extended-through-202223/

Money does come into it. 

Did you read the article Cambridgeshire? 

"Whilst it is not normal practice for Premier League clubs to roll a kit over for two seasons, fans have told us that they would be in favour of the savings that a two-season shirt would provide. This season, our membership of The Premier League means that the income we receive from broadcast and commercial partnerships far outweighs the income we can generate from retail, therefore now is the perfect time for us to try something different without it having a material impact on our revenue"

• Haha 1

Not sure where cost cutting comes into it  as the kit would always be sold at a profit not at a loss? If anything they are losing revenue.

It's a nice gesture and as the article mentions there could be an environmental benefit.

That said I hope we don't extend ours into a 2nd season, it's hardly iconic and rather tat.

9 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Not sure where cost cutting comes into it  as the kit would always be sold at a profit not at a loss? If anything they are losing revenue.

It's a nice gesture and as the article mentions there could be an environmental benefit.

That said I hope we don't extend ours into a 2nd season, it's hardly iconic and rather tat.

Certainly cost cutting for their fans 

• Like 1

This is how it always used to be, a shirt would generally last 2 seasons and was the same for NCFC too until McNally came in and changed it to every year to align with what a lot of Prem clubs had been doing for a few years. 

I think the last shirt we had that lasted 2 seasons was the first Aviva-sponsored one. 

20 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Would be interesting to know how much they are actually making in profit though. Shirts are exorbitantly expensive - at a guess they cost £5-10 each to make? But, when you look at development of new design, promo/marketing costs including replacing photography/artwork across any print/digital media I bet they aren't actually that much of a cash cow. It probably only makes sense to do it more regularly if you have international reach and can justify the launch costs.

Just now, Crabbycanary3 said:

It's back again this week, as I bought one

Excellent, website says pre order only until 29th (I think it was). 

Appreciate the update. 

Just now, Greavsy said:

Excellent, website says pre order only until 29th (I think it was). 

Appreciate the update. 

I did pre order it, approx 2 weeks ago, and it arrived earlier this week. As I do not live in the City, this was easily the best way for me to get my hands on one. 

I had been asking in the Club Shops and online and the dates they referred to, passed each time, but thankfully, have finally managed to get one. Good luck

A friend of mine wants one, but wants to check size first, being a new supplier etc so the online option is less viable. 

I remember when they first came out it was just a Norwich shirt or any other team, Then they had the bright idea of changing it every year to make profits 

I saw the other day spurs have a European training kit. Different to their regular training kit!

whole things madness lol but I remember the special shirt man United put out for just European games like 20 years ago everyone got mad about that.

now even Norwich have a third strip

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

I saw the other day spurs have a European training kit. Different to their regular training kit!

whole things madness lol but I remember the special shirt man United put out for just European games like 20 years ago everyone got mad about that.

now even Norwich have a third strip

Bloody hell. Who is buying it? I actually genuinely would like to know.

I've still got (and on occasion still wear) our 'European Venture' football scarf from the early nineties....Don't see that many or if any of those 'one off' scarves around these days?....For a long, long while now, I never purchase new or the latest City shirts - although I do have a retro one I wear on my hollibobs and at Carra when the weather is milder (and I'm not going on the lash in t' City after the game).....I'll also own up to impromptu purchasing the odd enamel pin badge from the special stall near the bridge on rare occasions....Modern soccerkickyfootyball can be so expensive these days.....

Anyway....what's this thread about again?.....

I think a kit every season is a bit needless really, but I can understand the commercial value in doing it.

After all, just because they release one every season, doesn't mean you have to buy it... 

Agree with AJ new kit every season unnecessary.  Also three kits a season is just exploiting supporters.  Not me though don't buy replica kits wearing one is potentially dangerous especially away from Carrow Rd with nutcase opposition.  See examples of the Cambridge fan assaulted at Southend and the Luton fan at QPR this week.  I get mine from City in competitions Dean Ashton signed shirt from 2005 and Pilkington shirt from 2011 wouldn't dream of wearing either home or away.  Its not just a fashion statement.

I like the idea of going back to how things were and shirts lasting longer back to 2 years would be good, I would like it to be the same for the international shirts too some of those shirts are used for a few games and the new one is advertised.

I can’t help but think this is a decision that’s been taken by committee in an attempt to signal how well they are doing, especially in relation to other clubs. The language used is very “holier than thou”

These initiatives, while progressive enough, always have that disturbing hint of self congratulation. Like filming yourself giving money to a homeless person and uploading it.

Especially as it’s the sainted Brentford FC, who probably power their stadium directly with sunshine, rainbows and the smell of their own farts.

We'll probably change ours for next season as isn't the Lotus deal only one year?

I don't think you can overly criticise clubs as club sponsors and kit will suppliers will want their say on how often the kit is refreshed.

Would love the club to go back to an unsponsored shirt. Some modern designs are bad enough without plastering it with sponsorship stickers.

3 hours ago, alex_ncfc said:

This is how it always used to be, a shirt would generally last 2 seasons and was the same for NCFC too until McNally came in and changed it to every year to align with what a lot of Prem clubs had been doing for a few years. 

I think the last shirt we had that lasted 2 seasons was the first Aviva-sponsored one. 

I think your right, based on the fact that I used to get the new kit every year and the last one I bought was the second Aviva-sponsored one, when they went back to a proper yellow after a good few years of a slightly darker shade that I think began with the last Colmans shirt. I was livid when it only lasted a year and never bought another new one, though I did cave and bought last season's for £20.

I'd definitely start buying them again if they lasted two seasons.

39 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

We'll probably change ours for next season as isn't the Lotus deal only one year?

Don't forget we have a new badge to put on our shirts starting next June.

50 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Don't forget we have a new badge to put on our shirts starting next June.

Oh yes. Forgotten about thar already!

16 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Soooo, being the cynical old bar steward that I am...do the players actually wear the same shirt over and over again for the 30 or so games a season 🤔

Norwich's Asian gambling shirt sponsor criticised for using 'women as  glorified sexual objects' in adverts – The Athletic....Not these ones they don't....

• Haha 1