Sign in to follow this  
KiwiScot

Goverment Fan Lead Review - Transfer Tax + Regulator

All seem like great ideas. We'd suffer more than most from the reduction in parachute payments. Also, because we're probably the best club in terms of wage structure around relegation, it would likely level the playing field in that regard as well.

At the moment we're able to milk the void between the PL and the Championship precisely because of our astute adaptation to our unique financial position. These ideas would bring many other (less well run) clubs into line with us.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Petriix said:

All seem like great ideas. We'd suffer more than most from the reduction in parachute payments. Also, because we're probably the best club in terms of wage structure around relegation, it would likely level the playing field in that regard as well.

At the moment we're able to milk the void between the PL and the Championship precisely because of our astute adaptation to our unique financial position. These ideas would bring many other (less well run) clubs into line with us.

Could you kindly point out the bit that talks about a reduction in parachute payments? 

51 minutes ago, Petriix said:

True, it would have an impact on the way we are currently set up to run but the parachute payments do causes issues of unfairness that need to be resolved, even if that in turn has a negative impact on us. We would have to learn and adapt once again.

OTBC

2 minutes ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

Everyone should read the report - not just those you want to poke with your stirring stick.

OTBC

Indeed, but it is obviously particularly relevant to those who would rather we played a far more risky financial strategy. Hardly a "stirring stick" to suggest they might benefit from reading an extensive report conducted in large part by fan groups including those that have seen their clubs ruined by unwise financial gambles.

• Like 1

I’ve seen a lot of calls (some from in our own fan base) to abolish parachute payments as ‘clubs like Norwich’ love going up then getting the payments upon relegation 

two things

1) the parachute payments are a drop in the ocean compared to what ‘clubs like Norwich’ would get if they stayed in the league - so that makes no sense 

2) if they got rid of them then ‘clubs like Norwich’ would struggle to compete if they got promoted as would have to spend within their own means and you would start to see clubs reject promotion which actually is probably what a lot of premier league fans want, a closed door 

the current system works and I don’t see it as a reward for failure as upon promotion ‘clubs like Norwich’ know they’re getting it anyway 

Feels a bit stupid to me (this is from me skimming league tables, so I bet something's wrong)

• Only six clubs have never been relegated from the Premiership since its inception in 1992: Man United, Liverpool, Everton, Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs
  • Six clubs in the current Premiership have been in League One at some point since 1992: Southampton, Norwich, Leeds, Wolves, Brighton and Brentford
  • Nineteen clubs in the Championship have been in the Premiership (only Preston, Millwall, Bristol City, Luton and Peterborough haven't)
  • Seven clubs currently in League One have been in the Premiership: Sunderland, Sheffield Wednesday, Wigan, Ipswich, Charlton, Bolton and Portsmouth. ( I exclude AFC Wimbledon)

Not that I particularly like Man United but if they've built their marketing and partnerships to the extent that they can achieve £500+ m a year in revenue, that the Glazers can take a healthy chunk out as profit (and a club like Leicester will struggle to hit £200m) and they want to buy a player for £100m, they why should they be propping up the likes of Sunderland, Ipswich and Bolton who are in their position because of financial mismanagement and shocking decision making.