Sign in to follow this  
ron obvious

Decent analysis

Fairly brief, but at least he's taken the trouble to research our players a bit (not just Gilmour!)

Edited by ron obvious
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for sharing this. It is actually a good account of how the next few weeks will shape up. 

It doesn't cover all areas of the pitch - the writer doesn't explain how he thinks Dean will expect his full backs to operate, and it doesn't mention distribution when the keeper has the ball in his hands, a really problem with Daniel's management. But it does hint that he will have to address the weakness with the two current central defenders, hinting the Omabamidele will soon have a shirt. 

Well worth listening to.

I think this is a surface level analysis from someone googling a few key stats. I didn't get the impression he'd actually watched any Norwich games. 

That said, I don't disagree with most of the conclusions. Maybe the stats don't lie? In particular, I think he's right on Omobamidele. He has looked solid every time he's played in his actual position, and has improved massively over the last couple of seasons. He could actually be our top defender, given the opportunity. 

• Like 1

Not sure I’d agree though that we have real strength in midfield. I’d say thats still the problem area where the lack of balance/physicality has caused most of our problems.

3 minutes ago, The Bunny said:

I think this is a surface level analysis from someone googling a few key stats. I didn't get the impression he'd actually watched any Norwich games. 

That said, I don't disagree with most of the conclusions. Maybe the stats don't lie? In particular, I think he's right on Omobamidele. He has looked solid every time he's played in his actual position, and has improved massively over the last couple of seasons. He could actually be our top defender, given the opportunity. 

Omobamidele will become a top player sooner rather than later. 

It's a bit superficial but it does give a non emotive view on what we could do and who would be selected. 

I particularly agree with midfield of Norman, GIlmour and PLM (and no McLean!)

I think Smith is right to start with the experience of Hanley and Gibson but as season goes on and hopefully confidence builds in team I'd like to see Omobamidele replacing which ever is performing worse.

Edited by rock bus

It is a bit superficial - anybody sitting in London and only reading the papers and who's fashionable would come up with the same 'team'.

The most interesting part was early on as to how Dean may wish to set up and play (c.f. Villa 2019/20) as opposed to Farke.

Fairly sure that stat about Sargent is wrong.. I think we all know he's had one shot on target, just a shame it was rolling at the speed of an OAP in a micra on the way to mecca bingo tuesdays..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thought it was pretty good tbh and even if it was surface level or superficial the simplicity of it is key to how we can win football matches. I do wonder if Farke was overcomplicating things too much to the extent that we lost our style and purpose.

Remains to be seen how Deano will change the team going forward but the key thing is developing a style that makes the best use of our squad.

I agree with posters picking out Andy O, he ticks an awful lot of boxes for me.

It is a decent analysis, but I suspect that it was made before our last two games. Pukki now has 4 goals in 12 games and two in the last two. The most interesting bit was how Smith might use similar tactics to Villa's first survival season, with a 4-3-3 and counter-attacking style of play. Normann's ability to progress the ball from defence up to the front 3 will be a key element along with the creativity of Gilmour and Cantwell. 

1 hour ago, Yelloow Since 72 said:

It is a decent analysis, but I suspect that it was made before our last two games. Pukki now has 4 goals in 12 games and two in the last two. The most interesting bit was how Smith might use similar tactics to Villa's first survival season, with a 4-3-3 and counter-attacking style of play. Normann's ability to progress the ball from defence up to the front 3 will be a key element along with the creativity of Gilmour and Cantwell. 

Unless he’s got a crystal ball I very much doubt it