Don’t be Krul

Referee for Saturday

18 minutes ago, Chief stoker said:

I had a conversation with Simon Hooper on the train yesterday coming back from the match and he admitted to getting the Jerome decision wrong. He come across as a nice guy and I couldn’t rant at him like I thought I would.

Did this really happen? I hope so, although it doesn't really take away from the damage we all feel that he did.

Hooper always looks unfit to me  - I know the refs have to pass some serious fitness testing to get on the list, but he never seems to be close enough to the action. He always appears to be 'the wrong side' of incidents which may give him a poor view of what has happened. As has been mentioned he is guilty of playing the numbers game and giving non fouls (possibly due to not having a good view of incidents). There were several occasions yesterday where I felt (as did several around me) that he's made the wrong call. The crowning glory for me was when one Wolves defenders (who had not been fouled) laid on the ball - making it unplayable - until good old Simon gave him a free kick. God knows what for. The reason (again as many have stated) he doesn't do too many Premier League games is because he's not very good, Could you picture him doing Man City V Liverpool? The players would have him on toast. The worrying thing is, if you look at the quality of those being assessed for promotion to the Premier League, In my opinion none of those have covered themselves in glory so far, including Robert Jones - who for some reason we managed to get for two consecutive home games. Going forward the standard of Refereeing is looking bleak to me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chief stoker said:

I had a conversation with Simon Hooper on the train yesterday coming back from the match and he admitted to getting the Jerome decision wrong. He come across as a nice guy and I couldn’t rant at him like I thought I would.

Thanks Mrs Hooper.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chief stoker said:

He didn't have any choice but to admit it. He got thrown off the Prem and didn't referee another Prem game that year.  

Some stats. 

Season 2015/16. One game on the Prem. No guesses which one he did. 

Season 2016/17 . Zero Games 

Season 2017/18 . One game on the Prem in Jan 18. Newcastle Burnley. Had a mare, and got demoted (again) 

Season 18/19 . One of those season where they have to use him . A scarcity of referees is being reported, and retirement ages put back. He does 8 games. Highest placed Club was Wolves in 7th  and that was his last game of the season in April - I suspect there was nothing on it. No "big 6" 

Season 2019/20 11 games. Highest team - bizarrely- is Sheff Utd in 7th. No big 6. 

Season 2020/21 12 games . Had a nosebleed as he does Leicester Fulham in November - Leicester are currently 4th. No big 6. 

In conclusion - after 2 demotions - he finally gets back onto the Elite , but isn't good enough for the Big 6, or to get anywhere near the UEFA lists. Did Eng u18s v Belgium in 2013. Absolutely nowhere near Internationals ever again. 

My mum could have reffed that game yesterday.  

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard

15 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

TBF, who would want to be a referee? Hard to see much upside to it.

https://www.totalsportal.com/money/premier-league-referee-salaries/#respond

Simple answer. Money. And prestige. - the only way someone like Hooper (or Oliver that that matter) would be anywhere near professional sport. 

You'll be shocked to see that Hooper was joint bottom of the earnings. . 

3 hours ago, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

Did this really happen? I hope so, although it doesn't really take away from the damage we all feel that he did.

It did really happen, he was on train going home to Swindon and I was returning to Harwich, I was surprised he managed to get a train so soon after the match.

9 minutes ago, Chief stoker said:

It did really happen, he was on train going home to Swindon and I was returning to Harwich, I was surprised he managed to get a train so soon after the match.

For what it is worth a close family friend of mine has met Hooper a few times and reports exactly what Chief Stoker says. A nice bloke, Lives in Swindon, and always mentions his gaff against us. Hardly surprising as it had a dramatic effect on his career. 

Hooper had a nightmare that day. Missed a blatent penalty too. It's worth bearing in mind he wouldn't have been demoted for one decision.  It was a shocking performance. 

Hooper isn't good enough though and his record shows it. As someone has said, he is stealing a living. And doesn't have the courage to admit it. 

• Like 1

On 27/11/2021 at 20:22, Graham Paddons Beard said:

It doesn’t matter what we fans think. It’s what PGMOL think.

Hooper is no spring chicken. He has had at least two catastrophic demotions (the first all those years ago after his one game  on the prem when he disallowed Jeromes goal) where he is taken off Prem games for the rest of the season. 

The fact he is back on the Prem says more about the lack of numbers of refs at this standard rather than his ability . 

Last year he did 12 prem games. No sign of the “big six” - . Year before 11 games . Same 

If PGMOL rated him he would do Liverpool , Man City/ Utd, Chelsea , Spurs . But not a sniff . 

He isn’t deemed good enough. He isn’t up and coming . He is very poor . 

Egads! Hooper is currently refereeing Watford v Man City ! That is the highest placed team he has ever done in the Prem! 

He will be getting a nose bleed any second . 
(Admittedly it’s hardly a standout fixture ) 

• Like 1

On 24/11/2021 at 18:02, Don’t be Krul said:

Step forward our old mate Simon Hooper. Ably assisted on VAR by Jonathan Moss. Oh dear

Jesus H Christ can’t we get some sort of banning order on Hooper?

On 28/11/2021 at 15:06, Graham Paddons Beard said:

For what it is worth a close family friend of mine has met Hooper a few times and reports exactly what Chief Stoker says. A nice bloke, Lives in Swindon, and always mentions his gaff against us. Hardly surprising as it had a dramatic effect on his career. 

Hooper had a nightmare that day. Missed a blatent penalty too. It's worth bearing in mind he wouldn't have been demoted for one decision.  It was a shocking performance. 

Hooper isn't good enough though and his record shows it. As someone has said, he is stealing a living. And doesn't have the courage to admit it. 

In that case we can’t blame Hooper for being incapable, the referees association are the ones who should be first up against the wall come the revolution!

On 24/11/2021 at 18:02, Don’t be Krul said:

Step forward our old mate Simon Hooper. Ably assisted on VAR by Jonathan Moss. Oh dear

Oh dear indeed. 

Waiting for the on field decisions after VAR can't give spurs the benefit of doubt

32 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Methinks Someone speaks with fork tongue. Today’s  Ref is Jarred Gillet 

https://www.premierleague.com/referees/index

Jarred has had 2 EPL games thus far, and Simon Hooper 5 (including yesterday's) so by some people definition on here that makes today's ref worse than Hooper.....

52 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

https://www.premierleague.com/referees/index

Jarred has had 2 EPL games thus far, and Simon Hooper 5 (including yesterday's) so by some people definition on here that makes today's ref worse than Hooper.....

Jarred , who is Australian , was appointed to the elite list in 2018. Comparison with Hooper , who has been demoted twice , is wide of the mark . 

This isn’t to say he won’t stink the place out today. But he will be higher up the ladder in 2 years than Hooper is now.