Don’t be Krul

Referee for Saturday

(IMO) We mainly get so many poor decisions as the law of average applies when you're not making chances with positive play.  If you apply pressure in this league you will get decisions.

I really don't buy refs (like Hooper) being bias towards us, but if they are swayed by such things at least in Shakespeare & Smith we have a bit more presence to test officials consciences.

I don't think anyone from the prawn sandwich brigade has much respect for Farke, or any of his staff.  So no favours (If they exist?!).

Edited by Google Bot

Oh, no!

I've stuck so many pins into my effigy of that plonker over the years that he should have been totally hexed by now and condemned to officiating non-league football.

I will always insist that his performance in the game against Newcastle that day did so much damage to Alex Neil's quest for survival at such an early stage in the season that the 'wee one' never quite recovered.

His denial of that brilliant overhead kick from Jerome sent even Ian Wright into a fit of rage on MotD and left most of the Canary faithful numb, to the extent that years later we still harbour a grudge.

Edited by BroadstairsR

Ignoring his decision making for a second, he's too slow and unfit to keep up with play, I've seen countless examples of him having to guess 50 50 decisions with us and in highlights  of other games because he was too far away from the incident.  Another one of countless blatant examples and not just in football of jobs for the boys

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann

26 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Ignoring his decision making for a second, he's too slow and unfit to keep up with play, I've seen countless examples of him having to guess 50 50 decisions with us and in highlights  of other games because he was too far away from the incident.  Another one of countless blatant examples and not just in football of jobs for the boys

Yep, I dont believe he has any particular issue with us, he's just fcking useless all over.

• Like 1

Previously I've seen many reports of clubs requesting that certain referees no longer officiate their matches, for various reasons. I don't recall if any of these requests have been successful but assume at least in part some have. 

I've never seen Norwich request this, not specifically for Mr Hooper, just as a general observation. 

Nice Little Ol' Norwich again? 

I would have thought asking not to have a certain referee is essentially calling the individuals integrity into doubt, I would be surprised if the FA will stand for that.

These referees are the best in the country, if we don’t like them I am not sure we can choose our own or limit the choice to the ones we like…..

11 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

I would have thought asking not to have a certain referee is essentially calling the individuals integrity into doubt, I would be surprised if the FA will stand for that.

These referees are the best in the country, if we don’t like them I am not sure we can choose our own or limit the choice to the ones we like…..

Totally agree, but I've seen various reports in the press of clubs reportedly having asked this. Also some fan driven petitions to ask the same, but that's obviously less official. 

10 hours ago, hogesar said:

Yep, I dont believe he has any particular issue with us, he's just fcking useless all over.

I think Martin Olsson got in trouble for pushing or man handling him, I think a season or 2 before jeromegate ...

11 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Oh, no!

I've stuck so many pins into my effigy of that plonker over the years that he should have been totally hexed by now and condemned to officiating non-league football.

I will always insist that his performance in the game against Newcastle that day did so much damage to Alex Neil's quest for survival at such an early stage in the season that the 'wee one' never quite recovered.

His denial of that brilliant overhead kick from Jerome sent even Ian Wright into a fit of rage on MotD and left most of the Canary faithful numb, to the extent that years later we still harbour a grudge.

Palace, surely. They gave us a masterclass in how to win in the Prem - training ground routines, professional fouls, big strong players.

But if Jerome's goal had stood the momentum would have swung our way and our recent history might have been very different.

• Like 2

Couldn’t let the day go without commenting on his performance, booked Normann for his first foul then a minute later, a worst foul by the Wolves player goes unpunished, so so inconsistent. If Normann hadn’t got injured he would probably have been sent off for two yellows. Please, please retire this pillock.

• Like 1

Thought he did OK tbh. Could have given out more yellows. The wafting away of Jiminez's pathetic dive was good and I thought he was equally bad for both teams. Seems to have lost a bit of weight too, unlike the Wolves no. 8.

19 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I didn't agree with everything be gave, but he was no worse than any other Premier League ref. It's just part of football culture to criticise the ref regardless of how the game goes, especially if the ref once made a bad decision against your team.

Please note, I hate Hooper and have absolutely no idea how the bloke is refereeing in the prem, and that's not based just on our games. However its important I add that context because I'm going to disagree with you.

He was a usual trainwreck often behind play, buying obvious dives and then not giving legitimate fouls. No consistency on what warranted a yellow card. The game had no real big calls to make yet you still knew it was Hooper refereeing which says everything you need to know.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Please note, I hate Hooper and have absolutely no idea how the bloke is refereeing in the prem, and that's not based just on our games. However its important I add that context because I'm going to disagree with you.

He was a usual trainwreck often behind play, buying obvious dives and then not giving legitimate fouls. No consistency on what warranted a yellow card. The game had no real big calls to make yet you still knew it was Hooper refereeing which says everything you need to know.

I still maintain that it's something ingrained in football culture that the ref is always crap and quite regularly biased against your team, no matter what happens out there on the pitch.

If you look back over the last couple of seasons, I'm sure that the majority of our games have been followed a 'the ref was useless today' thread later in the evening.

It doesn’t matter what we fans think. It’s what PGMOL think.

Hooper is no spring chicken. He has had at least two catastrophic demotions (the first all those years ago after his one game  on the prem when he disallowed Jeromes goal) where he is taken off Prem games for the rest of the season. 

The fact he is back on the Prem says more about the lack of numbers of refs at this standard rather than his ability . 

Last year he did 12 prem games. No sign of the “big six” - . Year before 11 games . Same 

If PGMOL rated him he would do Liverpool , Man City/ Utd, Chelsea , Spurs . But not a sniff . 

He isn’t deemed good enough. He isn’t up and coming . He is very poor . 

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Last year he did 11 prem games. No sign of the “big six” - Everton was probably his highest placed club. 

If POGMOL rated him he would do Liverpool , Man City/ Utd, Chelsea , Spurs . But not a sniff . 

I don't know anything about how refs are selected. Surely in a league competition teams shouldn't get 'better' refs based on league position? Does this officially happen, or are you just drawing a conclusion?

7 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

I don't know anything about how refs are selected. Surely in a league competition teams shouldn't get 'better' refs based on league position? Does this officially happen, or are you just drawing a conclusion?

You can draw your own conclusion Robert . Why doesn’t Hooper ever get the big clubs ?

Are those games harder to ref ? Or are PGMOL hiding him from the media spotlight ? 

I’ll just leave one other PGMOL  story here. Why did we get Oliver for the Arsenal game at the Emirates ? Media attention because Arsenal were bottom of the league ? 
That’s how they roll…

He barely moved from the centre circle all afternoon. Literally not fit to referee. Luckily there weren’t too many big decisions in the game today for him to make.

4 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I still maintain that it's something ingrained in football culture that the ref is always crap and quite regularly biased against your team, no matter what happens out there on the pitch.

If you look back over the last couple of seasons, I'm sure that the majority of our games have been followed a 'the ref was useless today' thread later in the evening.

Oh, you're likely not wrong. Especially when, and I can't stress this enough, I have a genuine and pretty serious dislike for Hooper 😄

Saying that, we've had some poor losses where you wouldn't even mention the referee because they stuck to their task and were fairly anonymous - as you'd like.

I had a conversation with Simon Hooper on the train yesterday coming back from the match and he admitted to getting the Jerome decision wrong. He come across as a nice guy and I couldn’t rant at him like I thought I would.