BroadstairsR

Big night in Binland.

16 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

5 great Last of the Summer Wine character names - Saga

They’ve all passed on haven’t they? Even though I was young when they first came on the TV when there was only three channels! It was one of those comedy’s I loved.

There's such a thing as healthy rivalry.  There's such a thing as humorous banter.  There's such a thing as friendly leg-pulling.

Not much of the above could be characterised as any of these things.  It seems at times like a rather fearful and insecure obsession.

I am a lifelong Norwich City fan as my Dad came from Norfolk and had started his attendance at matches at the Nest.  Growing up in Hertfordshire, I could have had the pick of any of the London teams to support, and have seen them a lot more frequently, but I never questioned that I was born a Norwich fan and sometimes endured, sometimes enjoyed the 200 mile hitch-hiking round trips to see home games when I was old enough.   And those came after many years of mickey-taking at school about who I supported.

However, I bear no ill will towards Ipswich Town or their supporters and do not feel the need to denigrate them constantly.  On the contrary, I want them to do well, and feel sorry for the state they've been in for so long now.  In many ways, historically as well as geographically,, they're a very similar club to Norwich and the way their Club has been run in recent years has been shameful.  You'd all be squealing if our Club had been dealt with similarly, and with good reason.

None of that means that I don't want us to beat them whenever we may play them.  I do, but I don't have to put them or fellow football supporters down to feel some kind of impregnable superiority, especially as in footballing terms, we are happily their superiors at the moment.  I'd welcome the sporting challenge between the two clubs if their lot were to improve, which I hope it does.

I expect some may say that none of what has been said is serious and I'm getting it all wrong.  Others may say it's in deadly earnest.  Some won't believe that I'm a City fan, especially since I've only just started posting here, or just think I'm a stuffed shirt.

Be that as it may, I would far prefer it if our feelings for our Club did not lead us to churn out all this nonsense over and over again.  I would far rather talk pure football, and benefit from your collective wisdom.

Edited by Jeremy Pymer
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Jeremy Pymer said:

There's such a thing as healthy rivalry.  There's such a thing as humorous banter.  There's such a thing as friendly leg-pulling.

Not much of the above could be characterised as any of these things.  It seems at times like a rather fearful and insecure obsession.

I am a lifelong Norwich City fan as my Dad came from Norfolk and had started his attendance at matches at the Nest.  Growing up in Hertfordshire, I could have had the pick of any of the London teams to support, and have seen them a lot more frequently, but I never questioned that I was born a Norwich fan and sometimes endured, sometimes enjoyed the 200 mile hitch-hiking round trips to see home games when I was old enough.   And those came after many years of mickey-taking at school about who I supported.

However, I bear no ill will towards Ipswich Town or their supporters and do not feel the need to denigrate them constantly.  On the contrary, I want them to do well, and feel sorry for the state they've been in for so long now.  In many ways, historically as well as geographically,, they're a very similar club to Norwich and the way their Club has been run in recent years has been shameful.  You'd all be squealing if our Club had been dealt with similarly, and with good reason.

None of that means that I don't want us to beat them whenever we may play them.  I do, but I don't have to put them or fellow football supporters down to feel some kind of impregnable superiority, especially as in footballing terms, we are happily their superiors at the moment.  I'd welcome the sporting challenge between the two clubs if their lot were to improve, which I hope it does.

I expect some may say that none of what has been said is serious and I'm getting it all wrong.  Others may say it's in deadly earnest.  Some won't believe that I'm a City fan, especially since I've only just started posting here, or just think I'm a stuffed shirt.

Be that as it may, I would far prefer it if our feelings for our Club did not lead us to churn out all this nonsense over and over again.

Binner....... 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Binner....... 

Fortunately for me, not a binner.  And neither are they.

Edited by Jeremy Pymer
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Binner....... 

Ignore it KH. There's always one who jumps up onto his pedestal with a little lecture whenever there's a thread about Ipswich Town on this forum.

Compared to TWTD/ The Daily Norwich this forum hardly concerns its self with that lot at all and although an occasional bin-bash can be fun it rarely sinks to the depths of abusiveness that you can read about our club on there on a regular basis.

Edited by BroadstairsR

1 minute ago, BroadstairsR said:

Ignore it KH. There's always one who jumps up onto his pedestal with a little lecture whenever there's a thread about Ipswich Town on this forum.

Compared to TWTD and the Daily Norwich this forum hardly concerns its self with that lot at all and although an occasional bin-bash can be fun it rarely sinks to the depths of  abusiveness about our club that you can read on there on a regular basis.

No pedestal, no lecture.  Read the last line of my edited post.  

14 minutes ago, Jeremy Pymer said:

You could have fooled me with that boring, self-righteous little monologue. It's all total tripe to boot.

No lecture?

Quote:

"Not much of the above could be characterised as any of these things.  It seems at times like a rather fearful and insecure obsession."

Perhaps you need to visit TWTD occasionally to get some perspective. You might even find out the true meaning of the word 'obsession' at the same time.

Sort out your use of quotes as well, whilst you're at.

Edited by BroadstairsR

I can remember being a very naïve ten year old when John Lyall got them promoted and I genuinely thought it was good for the region, then the derby matches came and I hated them 😛

12 minutes ago, Jeremy Pymer said:

Here’s an idea. Don’t read any post with “bin” in the title and leave us to wallow in our fearful and insecure (???) obsession.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

You could have fooled me with that boring, self-righteous little monologue. It's all total tripe to boot.

No lecture?

Quote:

"Not much of the above could be characterised as any of these things.  It seems at times like a rather fearful and insecure obsession."

Perhaps you need to visit TWTD occasionally to get some perspective. You might even find out the true meaning of the word 'obsession' at the same time.

I guess I well might, but that doesn't mean we do the same, however mildly.  It's only my opinion, just as you have yours.  Would just rather talk and learn about football.  I get over-excited by it, and enjoy it immensely, but am far from understanding it as well as most others on here.  

5 minutes ago, Jeremy Pymer said:

I guess I well might, but that doesn't mean we do the same, however mildly.  It's only my opinion, just as you have yours.  Would just rather talk and learn about football.  I get over-excited by it, and enjoy it immensely, but am far from understanding it as well as most others on here.  

Opinion is not telling others what you think they should or should not post, which is basically all you have done. 

That's lecturing.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BroadstairsR said:

Opinion is not telling others what you think they should or should not post, which is basically all you have done.

That's lecturing.

I disagree.  I hardly expected anyone to agree with me, and indeed most will ignore my comments.  I simply lamented the tone of the discussion, and would rather concentrate on the football, that's all.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Jeremy Pymer said:

I disagree.  I hardly expected anyone to agree with me, and indeed most will ignore my comments.  I simply lamented the tone of the discussion, and would rather concentrate on the football, that's all.

Lament:- "A passionate expression of grief or sorrow."

You're a one off, that's for sure.

• Like 1

Would I say the same to an Ipswich supporting friends face? yes, yes I would. 

Have I said the same to an Ipswich supporting friends face? yes, yes I have.

Edited by 1902

1 hour ago, Jeremy Pymer said:

Be that as it may, I would far prefer it if our feelings for our Club did not lead us to churn out all this nonsense over and over again.  I would far rather talk pure football, and benefit from your collective wisdom.

I’m not a bad person, contrary to some popular opinion on here, however…

I say this honestly and sincerely:

> I want them to go out of business

> I want them to go out of existence 

> I want flats built on their ground

> I want their training pitch to be turned into a go cart track or something

> I want a patch of turf from their pitch in my back garden as a trophy of war

> I want them to become a historical record, a cautionary tale, a footnote.

I want ultimate victory, only total annihilation will do. I want their fans supporting mockney London clubs like they should be. 

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Jeremy Pymer said:

Do I write to the Daily Mail, lamenting their odious world view and expecting them to change after having heard my opinion? No, I just don’t read it.

1 hour ago, Jeremy Pymer said:

Methinks that you're 4 months and 1 week too early with this,Waveney 😛

1 hour ago, BroadstairsR said:

That's lecturing.

Wow! 

Bit rich that!! 

38 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Wow! 

Bit rich that!! 

Exactly why?

Please explain.

If you can manage to string two sentences together for a change.

Wow!

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jeremy Pymer said:

Hey Jeremy . Here’s a better idea . Naff off . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

I hate the Scum.

That is all.

Absolutely.

I wouldn’t be bothered a jot if we never played them again, they faded into complete non-league obscurity, were forced to merge with Stowmarket Town and Portman Road was flattened and turned into a car park.

Although for the sake of the planet, I hope they would preserve the trees and plants growing out of their decrepit old stands. 

Edited by Duncan Edwards

1 hour ago, BroadstairsR said:

Exactly why?

Please explain.

If you can manage to string two sentences together for a change.

Wow!

I'm sure a man of your intelligence can work it out.

Pleased to see the usual suspects are out. 

Enjoy!

After he started slagging off the Binners, after his sacking, in a "I told you so" style dig, I started openly liking Mick Mccarthy...even if it's true, I always quite liked his brash honesty before said jibe...sorry. I bet they wish they'd not run him out of, er? Town. Much like my local side Charlton and that Alan Curbs chap that kept them mid table Prem for all those years. That's Charlton/mid table Prem side. Yeah.  Ouch. 

I'll be going to Cafc v binners in 2 weeks. Report incoming. 

1 hour ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Absolutely.

I wouldn’t be bothered a jot if we never played them again, they faded into complete non-league obscurity, were forced to merge with Stowmarket Town and Portman Road was flattened and turned into a car park.

Although for the sake of the planet, I hope they would preserve the trees and plants growing out of their decrepit old stands. 

They're pretty obscure already. I forget they exist until a thread like this pops up on here. Just a boring irrelevance nowadays.

They're quite handy as an example to use off the cuff for how not to run a football club.

51 minutes ago, hogesar said:

They're pretty obscure already. I forget they exist until a thread like this pops up on here. Just a boring irrelevance nowadays.

They're quite handy as an example to use off the cuff for how not to run a football club.

Yeah, certain posters like to use them as a point of reference though. Can’t remember who it was, but a few short weeks ago they were afraid of them overtaking us in the very near future.

As it is, if they manage 2pts a game from here, they’ll get to 78. That’s a big ask and a play off “maybe”.

I’d like to echo Greavsy’s point though, it’s always good to see regular posters back on the message board. They’re the lifeblood of this community, the brickies that build the platform for all of us.

I even miss the purists.