Sign in to follow this  
Midlands Yellow

Wolves pre match thoughts

Everyone confident of a third straight win? Decent side are Wolves but a repeat of that second half on Saturday should keep the run going. Paddy Davitt thinks the match is at Molineux so may be stuck Christmas shopping at the Mander centre. 

A point would be a good result. I am feeling more confident after Saturday , not just because we won as we could easily have lost ... Yet our manager was able to change the way we played when needed and I think he will be shrewd enough to put a side out that will give Wolves a good game.

• Like 1

Avoiding defeat is the main object because that would set things right back. Three points would be nice but I wouldn't be too upset with one.

The main thing is a decent performance and looking like we belong in this league.

• Like 5

Good performance and a draw would be good. 7 points from 3 games an excellent return, Wolves are a very good side.

If we do get a win then things really do look up.

• Like 2

We need to be prepared for the Wolves head coach having seen how we were set up for the second half and him having planned to combat that.

40 minutes ago, ROBFLECK said:

A point would be a good result. I am feeling more confident after Saturday , not just because we won as we could easily have lost ... Yet our manager was able to change the way we played when needed and I think he will be shrewd enough to put a side out that will give Wolves a good game.

Exactly this , seem more confident with Smith and Shakespeare , I think we might nick a 1-0 

Much like Southampton this so called "winnable game" is against a side in decent form and will be very tough. Hopefully they are better at home than away and we can take advantage of thaty but we will have to rasie it a notch again to win this. 

Whilst i wouldn;t be upset if we play well and get a draw, realistically if we are going to tsay up we need wins and the number of games where we can harbour genuine hopes of those wins (barring a shock) is limited so this really needs to be one where we bag another win. As such, a don;t really go along with a draw being a good result although I understand what people are getting at. 

I don't necessarily think a draw would be a good result but it wouldn't be a bad one either. Wolves are decent at the moment as their position in the table indicates and if we play well and get a point and so be it,  just want to see us progress again in performance and take the confidence of the last two games into Saturday. 

Edited by Gordon Bennett

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

Avoiding defeat is the main object because that would set things right back. Three points would be nice but I wouldn't be too upset with one.

The main thing is a decent performance and looking like we belong in this league.

This last sentence for me.

5 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Much like Southampton this so called "winnable game" is against a side in decent form and will be very tough. Hopefully they are better at home than away and we can take advantage of thaty but we will have to rasie it a notch again to win this. 

Wolves away form this season. 

P6 W3 D1 L2 F7 A 6 

Very decent, don’t score or concede many. Could be a tight one where a draw would feel pleasing and win orgasmic. 

Wolves' current league position is partially down to a fortunate start to the season fixture-wise - they will be in and around us by the end of the season. They have only played Man U and a misfiring Spurs of the 'big 6' and lost both. The only surprise result for me is that West Ham didn't beat them. They don't score or concede many. It'll be like Brighton and we can match up and go toe-to-toe. I fancy another 2-1. 

14/08/21PRLLeicester City 1 - 0 Wolverhampton WanderersView events

22/08/21PRLWolverhampton Wanderers 0 - 1 Tottenham HotspurView events

29/08/21PRLWolverhampton Wanderers 0 - 1 Manchester United

1/09/21PRL Watford 0 - 2 Wolverhampton WanderersView events

18/09/21PRL Wolverhampton Wanderers 0 - 2 BrentfordView events

26/09/21PRL Southampton 0 - 1 Wolverhampton WanderersView events

02/10/21PRL Wolverhampton Wanderers 2 - 1 Newcastle United

16/10/21PRL Aston Villa 2 - 3 Wolverhampton WanderersView events

23/10/21PRL Leeds United1 - 1 Wolverhampton WanderersView events

01/11/21PRL Wolverhampton Wanderers 2 - 1 EvertonView events

06/11/21PRL Crystal Palace2 - 0 Wolverhampton WanderersView events

20/11/21PRL Wolverhampton Wanderers1 - 0 West Ham United

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Thumbbass said:

Wolves' current league position is partially down to a fortunate start to the season fixture-wise - they will be in and around us by the end of the season. They have only played Man U and a misfiring Spurs of the 'big 6' and lost both. The only surprise result for me is that West Ham didn't beat them. They don't score or concede many. It'll be like Brighton and we can match up and go toe-to-toe. I fancy another 2-1. 

Interesting seeing their fixtures and results laid out like that. I still think theyv are a decent side based on what i've seen of them and they were very unlucky in a couple of those early defeats. But its also fair to say that West Ham aside they have only really beaten teams who are going to be in the relegation battle or lower mid table. So perhaps not as much to fear as I first thought but they will be confident and are a decent side so its going to be a very tough game. We need to channel the spirit of the second half on Saturday both on and off the pitch. 

23 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

West Ham aside they have only really beaten teams who are going to be in the relegation battle or lower mid table.

Forgive me for not feeling reassured by that! 😏

Understood you’re only saying they are not world beaters and yes, agree  it will be a tough game.

One thing we see  is that they’ve  only won one game more than us

2 minutes ago, GenerationA47 said:

Forgive me for not feeling reassured by that! 😏

Understood you’re only saying they are not world beaters and yes, agree  it will be a tough game.

One thing we see  is that they’ve  only won one game more than us

They’ve won 4 more than us in total but only 1 more if your your only counting away results. 

46 minutes ago, Thumbbass said:

They have only played Man U and a misfiring Spurs of the 'big 6' and lost both. 

Are we still the only team to have played all of the big 3?

Just now, Midlands Yellow said:

They’ve won 4 more than us in total but only 1 more if your your only counting away results. 

I stand clarified! Thank you. Was indeed based on your away stats post & insufficient application of brainpower

Can see another away win occurring but still more excited just!) than fearful following the last two games

51 minutes ago, Thumbbass said:

I think they'll comfortably finish mid-table, possibly top ten. Would love a win, but would take a draw if offered it now.

In beating Southampton we have shown we can beat a team who are better than us.  We could do the same to Wolves. However, realistically, a point would be a good result 'cos Wolves are better than The Saints.

1 hour ago, Gordon Bennett said:

I don't necessarily think a win would be a good result but a draw wouldn't be a bad one either. Wolves are decent at the moment as their position in the table indicates and if we play well and get a point and so be it,  just want to see us progress again in performance and take the confidence off the last two games into Saturday. 

Some people are just SO hard to please 😉

• Haha 1

Wolves are one of the form sides currently and our record against them isn’t great. A point will be a good result but a win and we really can start to think of extending our stay in the PL.

1 hour ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Some people are just SO hard to please 😉

Got myself in a mucking fuddle there 😆

Moral of the story- proof read! 

• Haha 1

Concede the requlation early goal is likely to see this game as a struggle.  However need a more convincing defensive display.  Will need to keep Adama quiet but blows hot and cold, if hot a real handful, if we can and use it as practice for Saint Maximan.  Rashica could be important in this role.  A victory could be on the cards if we compete with wolves, need to cut out silly defensive errors and put in a shift for both halves. 

36 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

For me it's 4 points from these two games to maintain this improvement

Precisely this. The best thing about beating Wolves would be that a draw at SJP would then be an excellent result.

Does this b****** (news) change anyone's opinion?

Edited by sonyc
  • Sad 3

Just shows how important wins are, Wolves have lost only 1 less than Newcastle yet in the top 6 courtesy of 6 wins. Our first 10 games yielded so few points and already put us so far behind most in this division that getting good results from just those around us or lower mid table will not be enough  for survivability. Hence we have to somehow pick up points, wins to be honest, against teams like Wolves. They are a decent side, in good form and beating them would be even more impressive than the win against Saints.

But its the measure of two wins that now we are even contemplating a win against Wolves, which is certainly possible, but we  would have to show 90 minutes of what we showed in the 2nd half last Saturday, likely have to survive a hairy moment or two as well. A tough game to win...but show me any easy game in the Prem...but at the very least the last 2 games ...in periods at least...shows we are at last being competitive...a vast improvement over Leeds at home.

A whole week of Shakey and Deano leading the way, a solid win against soton when so many players had been away on international duty. They will be concerned that they will not know how we will set up.

I know our expectations for the season are low with hope that we find a groove or players rise up. Can the new manager find that, it is possible. We need to be more fearless in the way we challenge the opposition, make decisive decisions in tackles, blocks and shots. We have a run of games here that we need to get results from. A draw is good but we can step it up and push for that win, we need sins to stay in this league and we aren't playing a Liverpool so we should go for it

• Like 1