Not seen a thread about his contribution yesterday, but I thought he looked very sharp - and his goal was actually a brilliant header - not something he is reknowned for usually.  The angle he had to get that header on target was so acute that to get the amount of power and accuracy on it that he did, was simply superb. It took their goalkeeper completely by surprise. But his overall play was excellent too, got through so much work and hold up play, as well as tracking back to help defend at times.  Great all round performance for the team.

• Like 7

Very sharp after 2 international games that played both almost full 90 min ,travel a lot and have only 1 training on Friday say a lot of his morale and attitude at this moment!

People keep writing him off after a little goalless run. Others point to his work-rate.

A genuine PL class striker, hidden away all this time, and if this is to be doubted then compare his overall contribution to that of some of his peers. The immobile and limited Wood of Burnley, the £40m Joelinton of Newcastle, the moody and inconsistent Toney at Brentford and just how much did Southampton cough up for Armstrong's performance yesterday?

I would never have thought that a striker could ever rival Grant Holt as far as having an impact and influence upon the success of our team. Pukki does.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 3

Top player. Making the partnership with Buendia look like it was more his movement than Emi's ability judging by both player's performances without each other. Although I still think Emi will come good for Villa if they stay patient.

• Like 1

Was so pleased for him, as with the pen v Brentford 

Can anyone think what Deano Smith meant in the post-match interview when he mentioned heading goals is what Pukki does best?

10 minutes ago, GenerationA47 said:

Was so pleased for him, as with the pen v Brentford 

Can anyone think what Deano Smith meant in the post-match interview when he mentioned heading goals is what Pukki does best?

His movement, the way he gets in positions in the box to score. It was brilliant, so difficult to mark and he got himself somewhere he could stick it in the back of the net, as he has done so often for us.

Absolute legend.

• Like 1

Thought the same. He always works hard, but yesterday he seemed full of confidence and intent. There have been times in the past when it hasn’t been going well for him and he seems not quite to believe in himself and moves away from a chance rather than towards it. The chance from the Gilmour pass is a case in point. Pukki in a dip takes that wide, slows it down and looks to play someone else in, resulting in the chance going begging. Yesterday, he had one thought in mind, to test the keeper, and he went for it. Sure, it didn’t go in, but the intent and conviction is the thing. Makes me think, if Dean Smith gets a couple of months of a firing Pukki then the miracle could be on. I’d love to see it. 

I mean let's be honest.. how many clubs would be happy to have a striker that's scored 70 goals for them in 130+ matches, regardless of the divison? Nevermind him having been a free transfer!

When he leaves we really will miss him and I do think it will take a very long time to replace him.

• Like 2

He always works hard and he's not just a goal scorer but also creates changes. True team player! And 4 goals at this point is actually quite well for anyone. Just look the names around him at the top scorers list..

3 hours ago, Hackney Canary said:

Thought the same. He always works hard, but yesterday he seemed full of confidence and intent. There have been times in the past when it hasn’t been going well for him and he seems not quite to believe in himself and moves away from a chance rather than towards it. The chance from the Gilmour pass is a case in point. Pukki in a dip takes that wide, slows it down and looks to play someone else in, resulting in the chance going begging. Yesterday, he had one thought in mind, to test the keeper, and he went for it. Sure, it didn’t go in, but the intent and conviction is the thing. Makes me think, if Dean Smith gets a couple of months of a firing Pukki then the miracle could be on. I’d love to see it. 

I'd add to this that he must be so aware that the burden of goalscoring for this team is almost entirely on him. I've been struck by his furious reaction (punching the ground) with himself when he's missed a chance this season. He knows he won't get many in the PL: he knows he has to score. That can't make actually taking the chances easier. Hopefully Milot, Matthias, Josh and even Todd can start to lift that burden a little.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

When he leaves we really will miss him and I do think it will take a very long time to replace him.

I couldn’t agree more. I think the problem our other strikers face is the fact we’ve been treated to Pukki and none of them are him! 

No idea how we’re going to replace him. I don’t know much about that Kamara kid in the u23s but isn’t he pulling up trees? 

35 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

I'd add to this that he must be so aware that the burden of goalscoring for this team is almost entirely on him. I've been struck by his furious reaction (punching the ground) with himself when he's missed a chance this season. He knows he won't get many in the PL: he knows he has to score. That can't make actually taking the chances easier. Hopefully Milot, Matthias, Josh and even Todd can start to lift that burden a little.

I think that we can count upon Norman to execute at least one screamer per match. Rashica finding his to his feet now might mean we are in store for a few of the sort of goals we saw on his YouTube clips, and which seemed to be his trademark. The central defenders have scored two headed goals now at last, so something must be gelling there.

Cantwell is in rehab. He scores when in full flow.

It's just Sargent who concerns in this respect, but just one goal might open the floodgates (or perhaps the lock gates.)

Four goals in two Premier League games? Hitherto unheard of for City.

4 hours ago, Hackney Canary said:

On tuesday Finland lost the chance to go to the play offs to the world cup. Probably was his last chance to ever play in one as he will be 36 when the 2026 world cup rolls around (although never say never). That would have been a big dissappointment. But the atmosphere at the Finland vs France match was great. 30k in the audience and he made his 100th cap. Maybe seeing that crowd cheer so enthusiastically gave him a little confidence boost.

Also, I genuinely think he really just wants to make a good impression on Dean Smith so as not to lose his place as the starting striker

Edited by shruk4

6 hours ago, Canary Jedi said:

He could have had a pen also but was too honest 😀

I forgot about that, I don't think they showed it on highlights - he was smashing the ground after.

In the first half when we were under the cosh,  I had said to my mate that this league is all about getting to the ball first and then falling over to win freekick/pen.  I was so sure Southampton were going to do that with their overlapping down our corner.

Seemed as though Pukki had the chance to do exactly that (if it's the moment you mean), but didn't take it.  Honest 8ugger! 🙂

Edited by Google Bot

14 hours ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Top player. Making the partnership with Buendia look like it was more his movement than Emi's ability judging by both player's performances without each other. Although I still think Emi will come good for Villa if they stay patient.

I've had similar thoughts. Pukki is such a good mover with his runs, they flatter the attacking midfielder who is able to hit a throughball. His runs make Robin Lod, a decent MLS player look great.

But yeah I share your belief in Buendia to kick on for Villa, he is too good not to. But last season 8 out of Buendia's 15 assists were to Pukki. With some more time to click I think the new midfielders/wingers or at least one or two of them will assist Pukki regularly. Normann and Pukki already with a good relationship

• Like 1

Pukki is the man.  A fine striker in the tradition of Holt, Roberts, Sutton, MacDougall and Davies.  A striker who improves the team and can change matches.

On 21/11/2021 at 09:25, lake district canary said:

Not seen a thread about his contribution yesterday, but I thought he looked very sharp - and his goal was actually a brilliant header - not something he is reknowned for usually.  The angle he had to get that header on target was so acute that to get the amount of power and accuracy on it that he did, was simply superb. It took their goalkeeper completely by surprise. But his overall play was excellent too, got through so much work and hold up play, as well as tracking back to help defend at times.  Great all round performance for the team.

Pukki is so underrated by our fans its insane. 

Pukki is massively underrated full stop. Works so hard for the team, even in all ten of those games where he got absolutely zero service. Hopefully Smith's changes will address that so we can feed the GOAT on a regular basis

• Like 1