Sign in to follow this  
thebigfeller

The most excited I've been about this club since 1993

Pressing. Total commitment. Controlled passion. Real belief. A manager who's fit straight in and made a decisive change which transformed the match. Crowd roaring the team on. Quality, but also BALANCE: no passing out from the back for its own sake, we mixed it up but remained true to ourselves.

Delia and Michael in the stands watching on and beaming. Having shown the immense humility to keep right out of the way of running the football side of the club, they've continued to protect and nurture it in a way so many owners have not.

Pukki suddenly looking really sharp. Sargent absolutely astonishing. Rashica coming onto a game. Normann providing the toughness we desperately need. Gilmour looking like a gem who can only get better. Krul cajoling and leading. Hanley never-say-die. Deano emanating calm and equanimity from the sideline. Squeezing the opponents from side to side near the end; nobody racing out and panicking. A set piece goal! A comeback from behind! A home win!

And yes, it's only one win - swallows, summers and all that - but cor blimey, that was encouraging. I'm not worried about other sides down the bottom now; I'm focused on us. Show that level of teamplay, that sort of commitment, that kind of response to in-game adversity, and we can absolutely do this. Does anyone on here truly believe we can't?

It felt like we belonged yesterday. Truly belonged in the world's best, wealthiest league. And I'll tell you: if we pull this off, all the brickbats we had from the national media will turn into bouquets. We'd become a true model club in its eyes given the football we play, enlightened openness we show as a club, and our self-funding approach at a time clubs in the Championship and further down are falling apart completely. 

We've made such a superb decision. It feels seamless and completely right. And that precious symbiosis between the team and the fans was there for all to see. It drove us on; it helped us win those priceless three points. And there's so, so much it can do if we're all together as one. 

What we do as a football club is so difficult in this day and age, so against the odds. But maybe the recruitment wasn't wrong. Maybe we are good enough, under the right manager, to stay up, build and prosper. 

So no: we've not 'sold our soul'. We've not suddenly turned into 'ruthless bastards'. We've given ourselves a chance; a very real one. And there is all the hope in the world that we can seize it.

OTBC

• Like 3
  • Thanks 7

40 minutes ago, thebigfeller said:

Pressing. Total commitment. Controlled passion. Real belief. A manager who's fit straight in and made a decisive change which transformed the match. Crowd roaring the team on. Quality, but also BALANCE: no passing out from the back for its own sake, we mixed it up but remained true to ourselves.

Delia and Michael in the stands watching on and beaming. Having shown the immense humility to keep right out of the way of running the football side of the club, they've continued to protect and nurture it in a way so many owners have not.

Pukki suddenly looking really sharp. Sargent absolutely astonishing. Rashica coming onto a game. Normann providing the toughness we desperately need. Gilmour looking like a gem who can only get better. Krul cajoling and leading. Hanley never-say-die. Deano emanating calm and equanimity from the sideline. Squeezing the opponents from side to side near the end; nobody racing out and panicking. A set piece goal! A comeback from behind! A home win!

And yes, it's only one win - swallows, summers and all that - but cor blimey, that was encouraging. I'm not worried about other sides down the bottom now; I'm focused on us. Show that level of teamplay, that sort of commitment, that kind of response to in-game adversity, and we can absolutely do this. Does anyone on here truly believe we can't?

It felt like we belonged yesterday. Truly belonged in the world's best, wealthiest league. And I'll tell you: if we pull this off, all the brickbats we had from the national media will turn into bouquets. We'd become a true model club in its eyes given the football we play, enlightened openness we show as a club, and our self-funding approach at a time clubs in the Championship and further down are falling apart completely. 

We've made such a superb decision. It feels seamless and completely right. And that precious symbiosis between the team and the fans was there for all to see. It drove us on; it helped us win those priceless three points. And there's so, so much it can do if we're all together as one. 

What we do as a football club is so difficult in this day and age, so against the odds. But maybe the recruitment wasn't wrong. Maybe we are good enough, under the right manager, to stay up, build and prosper. 

So no: we've not 'sold our soul'. We've not suddenly turned into 'ruthless bastards'. We've given ourselves a chance; a very real one. And there is all the hope in the world that we can seize it.

OTBC

You’re Webber in disguise, I claim the prize

No matter how much dirty money the Russians, Saudis, Americans, or Chinese pump into the game there is still one rule that gives us a chance: even if you have 20 billionaires on the books, you can only field 11 players.

If our 11 are fully organised and fully committed, we will always have a chance

Edited by Pugin
Correction

Im excited because we actually have something to do in the premier league.

digging our way out of an impossible scenario and proving a few people wrong. I hope we can do it and believe we can!

• Like 3

I'll have what you're having! Not sure I'll be quite as euphoric in a couple of days' time, but yesterday was a brilliant day, and we haven't had many of those in the PL recently.

My main complaint/fear in the Farke era in the PL was that we were just too easy to play against. In the second half yesterday we looked like a nightmare to play against. Committed, niggly in places, full of energy and determination. Really encouraging. To be fair to Farke, it sounds like we had some of those qualities against Brentford too. 

But I thought Smith's body language was superb yesterday. Fully engaged in the game, but also really positive. Feels like the perfect coach for this group of players.

Think it's only fair to say we had some luck yesterday. Could have been dead and buried at halftime. Had Walcott's header gone the other side of the post we wouldn't be quite so positive about everything. But I do agree: there were some very encouraging signs yesterday.

• Like 1

Not sure I’m quite where you are… yet. But I agree with the general principle. There are definitely reasons to be optimistic. One thing that struck me about yesterday was game understanding and management from the bench. I loved Farke - I mean, I loved him - but perhaps we forgot, because he was with us for such a long time, that he was in fact fairly inexperienced, particularly at the top level, as a player and a manager.  Yesterday, we got a little glimpse of a manager who knows how the game works at the top level, who identified the problem and knew exactly how to correct it. Sure, that won’t happen every time, but it sends a message, to us and to the players: this boss knows what he’s doing, knows how the game works, knows strategy - must be all that chess! 

Loved the other subs too, not just Sargent. Rupp, for all his detractors, is a tidy player and did his job perfectly. And you have to think that bringing Tzolis on for Rashica in the dying embers of a game is exactly what Webber had in mind when he signed them both. It maintains a threat, keeps energy levels high. Smart work all round, I’d say.

Now praying that the run continues. If we can carry the optimism through the next few games we can put ourselves right back in it. And then, well, anything’s possible. OTBC. 

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Think it's only fair to say we had some luck yesterday. Could have been dead and buried at halftime. Had Walcott's header gone the other side of the post we wouldn't be quite so positive about everything. But I do agree: there were some very encouraging signs yesterday.

I’m not getting too carried away but positive signs. Agree that if Lady Luck had not smiled on us the result could have been different, but then again we are definitely due some luck. 

To the OP, in 1993 I think that team had more  quality. I met Jeremy Goss around 2000 and he told me if we could have kept that squad we could have easily guaranteed a top 10 finish in the Premier League every year. So I don’t think we are quite at 1993 levels yet but the fact you are making the comparison is a very positive sign. Long may this continue!

I haven’t doubted there was a squad in there somewhere. I believed we have the capability to go toe to toe with the sides around us and maybe pick off one of the top sides on their ‘bad days’. Still a long way to go though but one things for damn certain, Derby should get to keep their record of lowest points haul 🤗

Lovely sentiment in the OP but 1993 is a bit strong as you appear to have forgotten the Lambert era of smashing our way through League One and The Championship with a squad that had limitations but a strong bond with each other and the crowd. Remember overhauling Leeds who at one time had an 11 point lead on us or that night at Scum HQ ( 1-5 ).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Lovely sentiment in the OP but 1993 is a bit strong as you appear to have forgotten the Lambert era of smashing our way through League One and The Championship with a squad that had limitations but a strong bond with each other and the crowd. Remember overhauling Leeds who at one time had an 11 point lead on us or that night at Scum HQ ( 1-5 ).

Why don’t you grass him up for having the wrong opinion?

• Like 1

Just now, The Real Buh said:

Why don’t you all just stick to talking about football? That is the purpose of this forum. 

3 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

There are those with differing opinions and then there are those who are just obnoxious Planks. Before you start again today i suggest you look back at your ridiculous behaviour on here last night.

Edited by TIL 1010

27 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

There are those with differing opinions and then there are those who are just obnoxious Planks. Before you start again today i suggest you look back at your ridiculous behaviour on here last night.

I’d suggest you do the same, but being a grass is not a personality trait I’d personally aspire to.

• Like 1

I find it fascinating to try & judge a manager's character, & how it interacts with the team.

First thing I said about Lambert was that he looked angry & ambitious. Pretty accurate I think.

Daniel struck me as a man of intelligence & honesty - but there's undoubtedly a dark side to him (the scowl, & the few times when he became very, very agitated) which he kept in check with an iron will & a deep sense of morality. A thoroughly decent, admirable & honourable man who perhaps had problems dealing with certain players. For me a much more interesting character than Lambert.

Now we have Dean Smith. How would I describe my first impressions of him?

In a word, jovial. Deeply self-confident. He knows he's good at his job. Much as he loves football it's not his whole life. A lot was made by the press about his being sacked by his boyhood club, but it hasn't phased him a jot.

He's a bit detached, he knows what a daft game football is & isn't going to invest his whole existence in it. He'll have the least problem dealing with underperforming players - he'll drop them with a smile on his face.

How long will he last? No idea. He'll do his best & if it all does go breasts skywards he'll shrug & move on. But he's one of the best managers we could have in our present predicament & gives us a far better chance of survival than Daniel, lovely chap though he was.

Football eh. What an exciting, absorbing, ridiculous game. I love it.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, thebigfeller said:

OTBC

I enjoyed yesterday, but you appear to have a highly selective memory ( which even managed to erase the first 45 minutes which were dreadful) . It was good to win, but in what way was that better than some of the special moments in the Farke era? Even in the premier league we beat Man City at home. Similarly there were some spectacular wins under Lambert. I’m all for an upbeat response but don’t get carried away!!

• Like 2

I wish I could feel so upbeat, I'm in raptures with the win - but I feel in a surreal state about it, and can't believe we can turn this around.

I guess I'm lacking belief, perhaps.  Everything I see makes sense, and alot of the things to fix here seem quite obvious.

Yet when I watch other teams on MoTD they all just look so much better individually.  When we had Maddison he looked sheer class, we don't seem to have anyone like that right now is my concern.

However, with Smith I do feel that the likes of Tzolis, Cantwell, Rashica etc. have more chance of reaching that level, Why? Well.. Because he appears to concentrate on individuals rather than an absolute belief in the system.

Edited by Google Bot

5 hours ago, thebigfeller said:

OTBC

You are LDC and I claim my £10.

29 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

I’d suggest you do the same, but being a grass is not a personality trait I’d personally aspire to.

I called you out on an open forum so nothing sneaky about it at all. What i posted was there for everybody to see and i didn't see anybody jumping to your defence. You were beyond ridiculous last night and you know it if you bothered to look back at the tirade of abusive tripe you posted. Call me whatever you like as i really don't think i will lose any sleep over it.

Have a good day as nothing more to say on your stupidity.

• Like 1

For me it did show how out of depth DF was in the PL. I love him for what he's done for our football club, but he wasn't up to the premier league. 

I mean the way DS changed things round and his game management... sorry we didn't see enough of that with DF in the pl 

Edited by ROBFLECK

1 hour ago, Hackney Canary said:

Not sure I’m quite where you are… yet. But I agree with the general principle. There are definitely reasons to be optimistic. One thing that struck me about yesterday was game understanding and management from the bench. I loved Farke - I mean, I loved him - but perhaps we forgot, because he was with us for such a long time, that he was in fact fairly inexperienced, particularly at the top level, as a player and a manager.  Yesterday, we got a little glimpse of a manager who knows how the game works at the top level, who identified the problem and knew exactly how to correct it. Sure, that won’t happen every time, but it sends a message, to us and to the players: this boss knows what he’s doing, knows how the game works, knows strategy - must be all that chess! 

Loved the other subs too, not just Sargent. Rupp, for all his detractors, is a tidy player and did his job perfectly. And you have to think that bringing Tzolis on for Rashica in the dying embers of a game is exactly what Webber had in mind when he signed them both. It maintains a threat, keeps energy levels high. Smart work all round, I’d say.

Now praying that the run continues. If we can carry the optimism through the next few games we can put ourselves right back in it. And then, well, anything’s possible. OTBC. 

Perfect post. By which I mean, obviously, I completely agree with you 

• Haha 1

Delighted with the win, and very happy the tactical changes made a difference at half time.

But let's be honest, the first 45 is probably one of the worst I've seen, even factoring in the last couple of seasons in the Premiership. We couldn't have complained if we were 4 down really.

Positive signs, but very early days and I'm certainly not going to get carried away.

3 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

Because you are a common street urchin who subscribes to a different code to respectable people in wider society, because that society has always rejected you. Now get back to whatever crack den you found yourself in last night.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Was lovely to see us win, coming from behind as well but for me there’s no verdict on a new manager after just 1 game in charge, even if it is a win

3 hours ago, Ian said:

Delighted with the win, and very happy the tactical changes made a difference at half time.

But let's be honest, the first 45 is probably one of the worst I've seen, even factoring in the last couple of seasons in the Premiership. We couldn't have complained if we were 4 down really.

Positive signs, but very early days and I'm certainly not going to get carried away.

I thought the most interesting thing about the first half was that we were outplayed that badly and came in level. We even immediately responded to going a goal behind.

I’m not sure if Dean got very lucky, instilled a bit of belief in those players or both. The amount of blocks and bodies being put on the line in the penalty area was fantastic even though we couldn’t get near them elsewhere.

You get outplayed that badly but manage to hang on while your on the ropes, there’s always a chance you’ll get something. Not really seen that from this team in the last two PL seasons. I hope it’s the start of some resilience and not just a lucky day.

4 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

I thought the most interesting thing about the first half was that we were outplayed that badly and came in level. We even immediately responded to going a goal behind.

I’m not sure if Dean got very lucky, instilled a bit of belief in those players or both. The amount of blocks and bodies being put on the line in the penalty area was fantastic even though we couldn’t get near them elsewhere.

You get outplayed that badly but manage to hang on while your on the ropes, there’s always a chance you’ll get something. Not really seen that from this team in the last two PL seasons. I hope it’s the start of some resilience and not just a lucky day.

Agreed. Time will tell.

I think we’re going to be reliant on a bit of luck too and other teams doing us favours. Like tonight, Leeds are beating Spurs… not what we want.

43 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

I think we’re going to be reliant on a bit of luck too and other teams doing us favours. Like tonight, Leeds are beating Spurs… not what we want.

Hah. Not anymore.

The stars are aligning.....

Come on you Spurs.

• Like 1