Sign in to follow this  
fetchyafathersgun

Hanley post match interview

Quite revealing Hanleys post match interview talking about Gilmour saying in training he is the best player on the pitch and therefore in games so he should be the best player on the pitch and destined for great things. For the captain to say that says a lot about confusion for the players under Farkes leadership that he hasn’t played in 2 months.

2 hours ago, fetchyafathersgun said:

Quite revealing Hanleys post match interview talking about Gilmour saying in training he is the best player on the pitch and therefore in games so he should be the best player on the pitch and destined for great things. For the captain to say that says a lot about confusion for the players under Farkes leadership that he hasn’t played in 2 months.

Yep, criminally under used by the previous coaching team

2 hours ago, fetchyafathersgun said:

He (Gilmour) will have his chance now so lets hope he delivers for us. 

Pukki? could be a good season for him after all.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fetchyafathersgun said:

I was a bit surprised he said that, I had assumed that maybe Gilmour wasn’t really standing out in training and that was a part of him not getting another shot in the team.

It kind of brings the question, if he, (and Cantwell, Tzolis etc) can be the best in training or perform really well, and not get into the team - what could they have done to get back in? It sort of makes the comments around earning a place seem a bit redundant, it doesn’t look like they could under Farke.

Edited by Jambomo

Thought the game showed Gilmour's weaknesses as much as his strengths. Completely understand why Farke left him out. Equally, if we're to survive we need our most creative players on the pitch: if Smith can get him playing as he did in the second half, that alone will probably justify the change in coach.

To be fair he's going to be a little biast 😉

Although worth noting Smith has also said that Gilmour is an outstanding player who no doubt will be playing for a top club in the future, which I don't remember Farke saying anything like  that..

On 21/11/2021 at 07:10, Jambomo said:

I was a bit surprised he said that, I had assumed that maybe Gilmour wasn’t really standing out in training and that was a part of him not getting another shot in the team.

It kind of brings the question, if he, (and Cantwell, Tzolis etc) can be the best in training or perform really well, and not get into the team - what could they have done to get back in? It sort of makes the comments around earning a place seem a bit redundant, it doesn’t look like they could under Farke.

Well done Grant. 👏 Nice to hear the Captain saying like it is!! 

On 21/11/2021 at 10:13, Robert N. LiM said:

Thought the game showed Gilmour's weaknesses as much as his strengths. Completely understand why Farke left him out. Equally, if we're to survive we need our most creative players on the pitch: if Smith can get him playing as he did in the second half, that alone will probably justify the change in coach.

Exactly this. Our midfield was as shambolic as ever in the first half and Gilmour produced a couple of perfect moments to demonstrate his limitations - in particular careering into the Southampton half to close down the man with the ball, leaving an unmarked player free to receive the pass and run unchallenged into our box (who Gilmour half-heartedly pursued).

He also committed such a weak foul at one point that the player was able to stay on his feet and pass the ball on. It's so important in those situations to use the foul to stop the play so you absolutely have to leave the man on the floor.

He seemed to be a lot better in the second half so maybe he's learning quickly.

Edited by Petriix
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Petriix said:

Exactly this. Our midfield was as shambolic as ever in the first half and Gilmour produced a couple of perfect moments to demonstrate his limitations - in particular careering into the Southampton half to close down the man with the ball, leaving an unmarked player free to receive the pass and run unchallenged into our box (who Gilmore half-heartedly pursued).

He also committed such a weak foul at one point that the player was able to stay on his feet and pass the ball on. It's so important in those situations to use the foul to stop the play so you absolutely have to leave the man on the floor.

He seemed to be a lot better in the second half so maybe he's learning quickly.

I thought it was interesting that Smith praised his tenacity as much as his creativity. He clearly really likes him as a player, but is judging him on both facets, as well he should.

44 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

I thought it was interesting that Smith praised his tenacity as much as his creativity. He clearly really likes him as a player, but is judging him on both facets, as well he should.

Yes, I really like that. And I'm really happy that he started (and will hopefully continue to do so). If he keeps developing the complete game then he'll be an incredible player. I just hope that the positional stuff comes quickly.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Petriix said:

Yes, I really like that. And I'm really happy that he started (and will hopefully continue to do so). If he keeps developing the complete game then he'll be an incredible player. I just hope that the positional stuff comes quickly.

Great test of Smith, as is the Cantwell situaysh. Interesting times.