Ken Hairy

Premier league form table

It's funny really, even with teams closely above us winning today we're still somehow in it despite doing absolutely nothing for the first ten games. We should have been dead and buried after that dismal start

15 minutes ago, AJ said:

It's funny really, even with teams closely above us winning today we're still somehow in it despite doing absolutely nothing for the first ten games. We should have been dead and buried after that dismal start

The season is 38 games long. You're never dead and buried after just 10. 

1 minute ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

The season is 38 games long. You're never dead and buried after just 10. 

Stats would suggest otherwise! 

12 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Funny, but I got ridiculed two weeks ago for suggesting the form table was in any way relevant to our season.  What a difference a change of manager makes.....

The form table over 5 or 6 games is largely meaningless, but it’s worth reiterating that based on the 5 games you kept quoting we were still heading for relegation as a point a game would not have been enough.  

45 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Funny, but I got ridiculed two weeks ago for suggesting the form table was in any way relevant to our season.  What a difference a change of manager makes.....

You really need to get over the fact that Farke has left the club, you absolute turnip.

47 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

You didn't get ridiculed for that 😝

5 minutes ago, (Hoola)Han Solo said:

You really need to get over the fact that Farke has left the club, you absolute turnip.

Farke has left? Oh crap, when did that happen?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, alex_ncfc said:

At least until Man City play tomorrow, we can actually lay claim to the fact that we're the only side in the Premier League to have won their last two matches.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Oh so now you're pro Dean Smith.. 😉

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

People pick and choose the stats that suit their argument; If the stat doesn't fit there'll be a reason as to why it's wrong. 

1 hour ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

People pick and choose the stats that suit their argument; If the stat doesn't fit there'll be a reason as to why it's wrong. 

Dude, this was only a bit of fun post 😁

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

If it makes you feel better I still think it's ridiculous. The Prem is so stratified that one team's five fixtures can be miles away in terms of difficulty from another's. Five points from those five fixtures you were talking about was relegation form. By contrast, had we got three or four points from our first four games we would all have been delighted.

And anyway, you've got to look beyond results to performances. Play like we did in the first half v Brentford and the second half today and we'll be fine. Play like we did in the second half v Brentford and the first half today and we'll go down without a whimper. 

What we can probably agree on is that there have been glimpses in the last two games that we can compete. Something to build on.

1 minute ago, Robert N. LiM said:

If it makes you feel better I still think it's ridiculous. The Prem is so stratified that one team's five fixtures can be miles away in terms of difficulty from another's. Five points from those five fixtures you were talking about was relegation form. By contrast, had we got three or four points from our first four games we would all have been delighted.

And anyway, you've got to look beyond results to performances. Play like we did in the first half v Brentford and the second half today and we'll be fine. Play like we did in the second half v Brentford and the first half today and we'll go down without a whimper. 

What we can probably agree on is that there have been glimpses in the last two games that we can compete. Something to build on.

I think the recent form guide is much more relevant than looking at results over ten or fifteen games. Football teams rarely stay still in terms of their progress, sometimes getting better sometimes getting worse, so taking results over 5 or 6 games is absolutely a good indication of how a team is doing.

8 points in 6 games, which we have just done, translates to approx 34 points over the remaining games, plus the 8 we've got which would give us around 42 points.  We are currently improving, the players are now getting a better understanding, we have a new manager who seems to know what he is doing and given fresh impetus to proceedings, so there is no reason to harp back to the beginning of the season - except look back and think we have improved since then - and that it is the aim to carry on improving.

10 hours ago, lake district canary said:

I think the recent form guide is much more relevant than looking at results over ten or fifteen games. Football teams rarely stay still in terms of their progress, sometimes getting better sometimes getting worse, so taking results over 5 or 6 games is absolutely a good indication of how a team is doing.

8 points in 6 games, which we have just done, translates to approx 34 points over the remaining games, plus the 8 we've got which would give us around 42 points.  We are currently improving, the players are now getting a better understanding, we have a new manager who seems to know what he is doing and given fresh impetus to proceedings, so there is no reason to harp back to the beginning of the season - except look back and think we have improved since then - and that it is the aim to carry on improving.

Is that you finally admitting Farke was out of his depth at this level 🤣🤣🤣

12 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

That reminds me of a quip I read on a German message board which went "a pundit is someone who can tell you why their prediction was wrong".

Don't forget that we should still have some catch-up benefit from that very difficult start. The half-way turnaround hasn't happened yet.

Newcastle, for example, have yet to play either Manchester City or Liverpool. Ditto, Aston Villa.

Brentford haven't played Manchester City yet whilst City have had all three of the biggest boys (including Chelsea) already.

5 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Don't forget that we should still have some catch-up benefit from that very difficult start. The half-way turnaround hasn't happened yet.

Newcastle, for example, have yet to play either Manchester City or Liverpool. Ditto, Aston Villa.

Brentford haven't played Manchester City yet whilst City have had all three of the biggest boys (including Chelsea) already.

Equally, our improving form has been against lower table teams, it works both ways.