24 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I find him quite interesting. Enjoyed watching him destroy that C4 div, can't remember her name.

Although selling millions of books effectively telling people how to live their lives whilst hiding a serious addiction to hard drugs does damage his credibility a bit I feel.

Except Peterson hasn't hidden an addiction. He has spoken and written often about the drugs that were prescribed to him by doctors and almost killed him in the process. You make it sound like he was a secret junkie, which is far from the truth. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

Except Peterson hasn't hidden an addiction. He has spoken and written often about the drugs that were prescribed to him by doctors and almost killed him in the process. You make it sound like he was a secret junkie, which is far from the truth. 

He did that after his spells in various rehab facilities in the US and Russia, after disappearing for about a year,.

It sort of is the truth that at the height of his fame he was hiding his drug addiction, the circumstances surrounding how he became addicted aren't really relevant, and just blaming is doctor is a weak cop out considering Peterson did his PhD thesis on male addiction and it is no secret the drugs he was taking for anxiety were addictive.

A rich white man used drugs as a coping mechanism after his wife nearly died and his struggles with his new found fame, nothing unusual or particularly shameful about that, just that he projected the image of somebody that really had his sh*t in order and and he flogged books to people that really bought into the idea that Peterson knew how they could get their sh*t in order, meanwhile he was popping pills like they were going out of fashion to cope with day-to-day life. 

I don't dislike him, don't buy into the idea that he is some far right monster (just very socially conservative), but at the same time it can't be denied that he'd positioned himself as a self-help guru for alienated young men whilst living his life with serious problems of his own, there is a deep sense of irony and it does dent his credibility. 

It should be noted that this rise to mainstream fame was very fortunate for him, as he was increasingly being shunned by the wider academic community, the stars aligned somewhat for him - he got lucky by uploading his lectures to YouTube just as that platform really began to take off, nobody else had thought of doing that. He was essentially an early adopter of technology. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

He did that after his spells in various rehab facilities in the US and Russia, after disappearing for about a year,.

It sort of is the truth that at the height of his fame he was hiding his drug addiction, the circumstances surrounding how he became addicted aren't really relevant, and just blaming is doctor is a weak cop out considering Peterson did his PhD thesis on male addiction and it is no secret the drugs he was taking for anxiety were addictive.

A rich white man used drugs as a coping mechanism after his wife nearly died and his struggles with his new found fame, nothing unusual or particularly shameful about that, just that he projected the image of somebody that really had his sh*t in order and and he flogged books to people that really bought into the idea that Peterson knew how they could get their sh*t in order, meanwhile he was popping pills like they were going out of fashion to cope with day-to-day life. 

I don't dislike him, don't buy into the idea that he is some far right monster (just very socially conservative), but at the same time it can't be denied that he'd positioned himself as a self-help guru for alienated young men whilst living his life with serious problems of his own, there is a deep sense of irony and it does dent his credibility. 

It should be noted that this rise to mainstream fame was very fortunate for him, as he was increasingly being shunned by the wider academic community, the stars aligned somewhat for him - he got lucky by uploading his lectures to YouTube just as that platform really began to take off, nobody else had thought of doing that. He was essentially an early adopter of technology. 

Are you sure you've got the timeline right? I think he was becoming (in)famous quite a while before taking the pills, which coincided with his wife's diagnosis of cancer & his daughter's operations. Perhaps you could disabuse me if I'm wrong. Besides which I don't think he's ever said you shouldn't seek help outside your own resources in order to overcome difficulties; what he is saying is that you have to recognise that you have difficulties you are trying to overcome, whether externally or internally generated.

Also he has talked about having a serious alcohol addiction when young & had to make a choice between leading a pretty useless life or cleaning up his act & getting down to work, which was the choice he made, & encourages others to do likewise. I suspect he has what I would call an addictive temperament - he became addicted to work after drinking heavily & is now on what strikes me as a very faddish diet. None of this really discredits his work; as far as I'm concerned only good logical reasoning & argument would do real damage to his conclusions.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I find him quite interesting. Enjoyed watching him destroy that C4 div, can't remember her name.

Although selling millions of books effectively telling people how to live their lives whilst hiding a serious addiction to hard drugs does damage his credibility a bit I feel.

He's not really hidden it. He's been quite open about it. And actually one of the things he says in the video that made him famous is 'Im not perfect'. He doesnt claim to be. All he claims to be is an academic who, due to the volume of research and data he has assimilated feels confident to speak on such matters.

52 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

good logical reasoning & argument 

That is where his power lies. Everyone seeks to break him because he is so counter-narrative. And it is inevitible they will. But I so admire his resilience, how articulate he is, how logically he makes his argument and how he always has the evidence to back his assertions.

3 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

That's often the case though that we tend to value our own more.

His less than cryptic response to yesterday's game sounds a bit more positive and hopefully he's prepared to put the work in and get back to the levels we know he's capable of. He has stiff competition though; the second half performances of Sargent and Rashica will not have gone unnoticed, plus there is Tzolis and Placheta waiting in the wings as well.

I'd like to see him commit to a longer term contract, would be best for him and the club.

While I hoped to see Rashica tearing it up on the right, with Tzolis on the left, the two best perfromances I have seen from Rashica have been as an inside forward on the left - Todd's posiiton.

I also think his performance showed that Farke was not wrong when he said he was 'nowhere near' or words to that effect.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ron obvious said:

Are you sure you've got the timeline right? I think he was becoming (in)famous quite a while before taking the pills, which coincided with his wife's diagnosis of cancer & his daughter's operations. Perhaps you could disabuse me if I'm wrong. Besides which I don't think he's ever said you shouldn't seek help outside your own resources in order to overcome difficulties; what he is saying is that you have to recognise that you have difficulties you are trying to overcome, whether externally or internally generated.

Also he has talked about having a serious alcohol addiction when young & had to make a choice between leading a pretty useless life or cleaning up his act & getting down to work, which was the choice he made, & encourages others to do likewise. I suspect he has what I would call an addictive temperament - he became addicted to work after drinking heavily & is now on what strikes me as a very faddish diet. None of this really discredits his work; as far as I'm concerned only good logical reasoning & argument would do real damage to his conclusions.

Feels like Cantwell and his agents have backed themselves into a corner. When we came up to the Premiership the first time we had four "crown jewels" Godfrey, Aarons, Lewis and Buendia. By the end of that season Cantwell had become the fifth.

Michael Bailey did a detailed piece in the summer of our relegation under Farke back to the Championship, on how the club expected Buendia, Godfrey and Cantwell to leave and how the club didn't expect the valuations for Lewis or Aarons to be met. Godfrey and Lewis left, and moves for Cantwell and Buendia never materialised, arguably not helped by the Covid slump. Ending up with both Buendia and Cantwell being dropped for the Bournemouth game. Both knuckled down, we got promoted again and Buendia got his big money move to Villa.

So Todd's still here but is still on the contract that he signed in 2019, and unlike the five year deals that everyone else signed, he only signed up for a three year deal with the club having the option for an extra year.

It's 26 games left so a lot could happen, and Dean Smith isn't going to hold him back, but after Saturday it seems like Rashica and Sargant would be starting ahead of him. Simply because we looked better with them on the pitch.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Remember, in this day and age dversity is a good thing, as long as it is not diversity of thought.

Respecting diversity of thought also means allowing people to say you’re talking b0llocks. Because you may actually be talking b0llocks.

Edited by Nuff Said
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Think it does a bit more than that, although I tend to see Peterson as the poor man's Stephen Fry. As a clinical psychologist, he's of considerable repute. When he tries to be some sort of general Renaissance man, no - he falls a very long way short of that.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Think it does a bit more than that, although I tend to see Peterson as the poor man's Stephen Fry. As a clinical psychologist, he's of considerable repute. When he tries to be some sort of general Renaissance man, no - he falls a very long way short of that.

There is a YouTube podcast between Fry and Peterson you might enjoy

23 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

There is a YouTube podcast between Fry and Peterson you might enjoy

Interestingly, both men are against "cancel culture".

Cantwell was terrible.  He didn't look match fit and tried too many 'fancy dan' touches.  Sargent was better option for 2nd half and Smith made right decision.  Cantwell is good when on his game but that seems a like way off at the moment.

On 21/11/2021 at 14:31, mannings bandy legs said:

So,perhaps if he was to come off twitter and instagram and tik-tok and put his energies into what he's handsomely paid for,his performance would improve!

It literally takes seconds to do a tweet or any post for that matter. I don’t see what the issue is. Lots of footballers tweet or post to Instagram. In fact they post a lot more than TC does, look at Harvey Elliot, mason mounts, Phil Foden, I could go on but sure, go ahead and keep having a go at him. At the end of the day they are all youngsters and it is the way of life for the younger ones now. It’s their way of communicating to the fans. 

With the almost limitless amount of data available to Smith it is inconceivable that he didn't know exactly how fit or in form Cantwell was before he started him on Saturday.

So why would Smith start a player who according to many reports was not fit enough to play at or near his best?

1. Was it to bring him back into the fold?

2. Was it because Cantwell has "God given talents"?

3. Was it because he'd seen what happened to Farke and knows the financial dynamics of what happens when a player valued at £15-20m and frozen out of the side agitates against a manager who has no transfer value? 

4. Did he know that Cantwell would bomb and use this to game the player into winding his neck in a yard or two? 

5. Was Cantwell actually fit but just missing the sharpness that comes from playing at this level? 

I'm glad Cantwell got his start and I applaud Smith for his decision, whatever his reasoning.   

Cantwell either needs to be playing or he needs to be sold and he can't be sold unless he's playing. 

Either way it's better having him inside the tent tiddling outwards than the other way round. 

On his day he's a very good watch and quite a player. At the same time he's also flawed just like the rest of us.

Hopefully Smith has his measure.

One senses that if Farke was dealing with a raging toddler throwing a hissy fit in the supermarket he might just leave the little stinker on the floor of to finish his tantrum and walk away in the hope that by removing his audience the tot would stop acting up and come to his senses. 

My guess is that Smith would probably bribe the little darling with a chocolate bar at the check out and just move on.  

The manager's job is not an easy one. 

The thing is with Cantwell for me is, I cannot remember a time where his bosses at game like Buendia and other top players in his peer group. Benrama, Hoolahan, Sarr, Fernandez (Leeds), Danjuma, for example caused mayhem when in the Championship.  Cantwell has never done this. His work rate is not great, his tracking back is questionable and his decision making on when to dribble out of our box and when to clear  still hasn’t been learned from two years ago in the PL.

Cantwell is not 18 he’s 23 he should be maturing toward his maximum potential but from what I can see he looks like he’s going backwards.

Sell in January and buy someone more useful. 

1 hour ago, Star55 said:

It literally takes seconds to do a tweet or any post for that matter. I don’t see what the issue is. Lots of footballers tweet or post to Instagram. In fact they post a lot more than TC does, look at Harvey Elliot, mason mounts, Phil Foden, I could go on but sure, go ahead and keep having a go at him. At the end of the day they are all youngsters and it is the way of life for the younger ones now. It’s their way of communicating to the fans. 

Just think it would'nt do him any harm simply to focus on his football for few weeks. Please don't put him in the same bracket as Foden and Mount,he's miles off them!!!!

• Like 1

On 20/11/2021 at 19:04, Jersey Canary said:

Didn’t Cantwell prove his critics and Dean Smith correct today? Awful. Getting caught dribbling inside your box. Not tracking back. Not sticking with his man. And apart from one run offered nothing going forwards. 

Goodbye Todd. I hope your big money move works out well for you. 

What it unfortunately proves, is that we have an idiotic element of the fanbase who take pleasure in berating players for under-par performances.

Shame we can't put you out on loan to FC Normal F N.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Jersey Canary said:

The thing is with Cantwell for me is, I cannot remember a time where his bosses at game like Buendia and other top players in his peer group. Benrama, Hoolahan, Sarr, Fernandez (Leeds), Danjuma, for example caused mayhem when in the Championship.  Cantwell has never done this. His work rate is not great, his tracking back is questionable and his decision making on when to dribble out of our box and when to clear  still hasn’t been learned from two years ago in the PL.

Cantwell is not 18 he’s 23 he should be maturing toward his maximum potential but from what I can see he looks like he’s going backwards.

Sell in January and buy someone more useful. 

I can. I think it was Cardiff. I'm sure there have been other times as well, he's been very good for the last two seasons. 

2 hours ago, kirku said:

I can. I think it was Cardiff. I'm sure there have been other times as well, he's been very good for the last two seasons. 

Both games against Cardiff last season. 

• Like 1

On 21/11/2021 at 19:39, TeemuVanBasten said:

The huge irony of Peterson's fame is that it was created primarily by those who sought to shut him down over his objections to C-16; if they'd glossed over it then there's no way he would be as famous as he is now. 

3 hours ago, Bonzo said:

With the almost limitless amount of data available to Smith it is inconceivable that he didn't know exactly how fit or in form Cantwell was before he started him on Saturday.

So why would Smith start a player who according to many reports was not fit enough to play at or near his best?

1. Was it to bring him back into the fold?

2. Was it because Cantwell has "God given talents"?

3. Was it because he'd seen what happened to Farke and knows the financial dynamics of what happens when a player valued at £15-20m and frozen out of the side agitates against a manager who has no transfer value? 

4. Did he know that Cantwell would bomb and use this to game the player into winding his neck in a yard or two? 

5. Was Cantwell actually fit but just missing the sharpness that comes from playing at this level? 

I'm glad Cantwell got his start and I applaud Smith for his decision, whatever his reasoning.   

Cantwell either needs to be playing or he needs to be sold and he can't be sold unless he's playing. 

Either way it's better having him inside the tent tiddling outwards than the other way round. 

On his day he's a very good watch and quite a player. At the same time he's also flawed just like the rest of us.

Hopefully Smith has his measure.

One senses that if Farke was dealing with a raging toddler throwing a hissy fit in the supermarket he might just leave the little stinker on the floor of to finish his tantrum and walk away in the hope that by removing his audience the tot would stop acting up and come to his senses. 

My guess is that Smith would probably bribe the little darling with a chocolate bar at the check out and just move on.  

The manager's job is not an easy one. 

Smith said the data suggested he was fit enough, so I'd go with number 5 if I had to choose one. 

I think Cantwell over the next month or so is playing to save his career.

Not going to write him off as he has talent, but I'm in a state of shock about just how off the boil he looked, I didn't think he'd be that bad.

If he doesn't force his way into the side this season then do we even trigger the one year extension? He can't dine out on his impressive Prem season a couple of years ago forever, he was 21 then, he's 23 now. His stats last season in the Championship weren't as impressive as I suspect he and others were hoping.

With Buendia gone I really thought he'd step up to the plate and try and fill his shoes. At the moment he's in serious of danger of being considered one of the many players who didn't fulfill their potential. We find out now what he's made of. 

13 hours ago, mannings bandy legs said:

Just think it would'nt do him any harm simply to focus on his football for few weeks. Please don't put him in the same bracket as Foden and Mount,he's miles off them!!!!

What does putting them in the same bracket have to do with the price of fish???  The point I was trying to make is that is nothing wrong with posting on Instagram or Twitter. Its a generation thing. The youngsters love it. 

Anyway, Tbh TC hasn’t posted anything since the game on Saturday so that should make a few people happy. He has probably had enough of people slating him. 

In all seriousness though I also just want to add that it is concerning the way he has been playing. Even the first 3 games at the beginning of this season we’re not great. He hasn’t played because of personal reasons, injury or whatever, but I hope he finds his mojo back soon, it’s a wasted talent otherwise. I just don’t think it’s because he goes on Instagram. Hopefully DS can tap in to him. 

Edited by Star55
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Star55 said:

In all seriousness though I also just want to add that it is concerning the way he has been playing. Even the first 3 games at the beginning of this season we’re not great. He hasn’t played because of personal reasons, injury or whatever, but I hope he finds his mojo back soon, it’s a wasted talent otherwise. I just don’t think it’s because he goes on Instagram. Hopefully DS can tap in to him. 

100% this

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Smith said the data suggested he was fit enough, so I'd go with number 5 if I had to choose one. 

I think he was missing a bit of sharpness abd also was trying too hard. Both understandable given his recent isolation from the first team set up. You could see he wanted to impress but this manifested itself in trying tricks in the wrong areas or not playing with the composure that comes from being confident and in the groove.

The other thing that’s been noticeable this season (and was very much on Saturday) is that some refs seem to be giving less free kicks for minor contact and Todd needs to adapt to that as he has developed something of a habit of playing for contact and going down. 

20 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Everyone with a mind should be against cancel culture

Depends what's being "cancelled", and indeed how "cancelled" is defined.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Star55 said:

I don’t think it’s fair to read too much into the first 3 games, we were trying to integrate so many new players. He was also posted in his less favoured wide right position which I don’t think suits him given he’d only previously played on the left. 

But compare his early performances in those 3 games to Pukki for instance and I don’t think he comes out notably worse.

I’m expecting him to now take a few more games before he settles into a rhythm but when he does I’m sure there will be good things.

Only annoying thing is both he and Rashica appear to be much better on the left side (and Tzolis seems more a left sided winger). Only Sargent has played well on the right so far with Dowell ineffective so we look a tad lop sided IMO.

• Like 1

Saturday was a reality check for fans, players and the new manager. As fans we all want players to achieve but, to me , the surprise inclusion of Cantwell was in part to show to Todd, where he was at “ in the heat of battle”. 

There were a lot of poor performances in the first half but the substitution  of him was correct.

Smith comes across as a players manager and I’m sure he has the skills to work from the base where Todd is in reality, and get him ready for the challenges we will have in the New Year to achieve PL survival.