Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

Well he enjoyed it

I think putting him in was mainly a statement - a statement to Todd that the ball is in his court now. The shirt is his to lose. Also, if he's short of match fitness, how else do you regain it but to play matches?

4 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

This

Well, as a psychology graduate I have watched many of his lectures and as an academic I find him compelling. He's become a target of hate for left wing activists because he is so articulate and doesnt share their world view.

Remember, in this day and age dversity is a good thing, as long as it is not diversity of thought.

Edited by The Great Mass Debater
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Remember, in this day and age dversity is a good thing, as long as it is not diversity of ideas.

The little I've seen of him, and I confess it is little, his 'wisdom' seems to me like witless self-help dressed up in pseudo-academic rhetoric. A "mixture of the obvious and the obviously false", to use Martin Amis' great phrase.

But each to their own, as you say... I just find middle-aged men slagging off the young a particularly unattractive look.

To return the subject to Cantwell, the idea that he hasn't worked exceptionally hard to get where he is today is just laughable: it's simply not possible. It seems likely that he has a pretty big ego, but I'd argue that's equally necessary if you want to reach the top. How old was he when Farke threw him in at Anfield, 21, 22?  A month later he was scoring against the PL champions. A few months later he was doing keepy-uppies on his way to nailing that penalty at Spurs in the cup. You can't do that without massive self-belief, which is always going to risk tipping into ego.

No doubt he's made mistakes, and hopefully Smith will get more out of him than Farke did in recent months. But why so many of our fans seem to have such a problem with him really bothers me. He was one of our best players last time in the PL and had a really good season last year, too. We need him at his best, and I strongly doubt people slagging him off on social media is going to do anything to help that.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

The little I've seen of him, and I confess it is little, his 'wisdom' seems to me like witless self-help dressed up in pseudo-academic rhetoric. A "mixture of the obvious and the obviously false", to use Martin Amis' great phrase.

But each to their own, as you say... I just find middle-aged men slagging off the young a particularly unattractive look.

To return the subject to Cantwell, the idea that he hasn't worked exceptionally hard to get where he is today is just laughable: it's simply not possible. It seems likely that he has a pretty big ego, but I'd argue that's equally necessary if you want to reach the top. How old was he when Farke threw him in at Anfield, 21, 22?  A month later he was scoring against the PL champions. A few months later he was doing keepy-uppies on his way to nailing that penalty at Spurs in the cup. You can't do that without massive self-belief, which is always going to risk tipping into ego.

No doubt he's made mistakes, and hopefully Smith will get more out of him than Farke did in recent months. But why so many of our fans seem to have such a problem with him really bothers me. He was one of our best players last time in the PL and had a really good season last year, too. We need him at his best, and I strongly doubt people slagging him off on social media is going to do anything to help that.

Of course no professional footballer gets where they are without hard work, but that doesnt mean they cant lose their way.

Some footballers I think fall victim to their praise. If you are told from a young age that you are going to be the next Messi, that can sometimes affect you adversely - look at Marcus Edwards (aka Mini-Messi). Perhaps you can buckle under the weight of expectation. Perhaps you can begin to think you have arrived and change your attitude. Perhaps you can begin to believe the hype and perhaps begin to think you are better than you are and maybe that you should be at a bigger club. Perhaps that attitude can become a negative factor in your life.

Cantwell had a great first half of the seson in the Prem last time around. But the truth is he has flattered to deceive since then and runs the very real risk of being a busted flush.

His attitude is what rubs a number of fans up the wrong way I think.

• Like 2

On 20/11/2021 at 19:07, cambridgeshire canary said:

Very poor and disrespectful post. Just came back from injury, and even the commeters said he would only be playing the first 45. Yes, he did not play well but he's still not at full fitness. No doubt will improve in time.

How does that explain the other games he started since the beginning of the season? He wasn’t injured, had personal problems or a fall out with Farke and yet we had the same output.

Edited by Jersey Canary

1 minute ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Of course no professional footballer gets where they are without hard work, but that doesnt mean they cant lose their way.

Some footballers I think fall victim to their praise. If you are told from a young age that you are going to be the next Messi, that can sometimes affect you adversely - look at Marcus Edwards (aka Mini-Messi). Perhaps you can buckle under the weight of expectation. Perhaps you can begin to think you have arrived and change your attitude. Perhaps you can begin to believe the hype and perhaps begin to think you are better than you are and maybe that you should be at a bigger club. Perhaps that attitude can become a negative factor in your life.

Cantwell had a great first half of the seson in the Prem last time around. But the truth is he has flattered to deceive since then and runs the very real risk of being a busted flush.

His attitude is what rubs a number of fans up the wrong way I think.

That's a very fair counter argument. I guess we just differ on how to get the best out of a person in such circumstances and where the stick/carrot balance should be. I love carrots.

Note, though, how many times you say "perhaps" in this post, rightly, I think. All we can say for sure is that Todd has lost his way, in that he's not in the team and not playing well. A number of fans seem to have decided that his attitude is to blame, when none of us knows exactly what has gone on behind the scenes.

I've got to go now: my room is a real mess. But I've enjoyed talking about this with you. Contrary to the impression given by my flippancy about Peterson, I do enjoy diversity of opinion. All the best and OTBC.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

Agree with this but a bit more to it. If he wasn't match for then DS wouldn't or shouldn't have picked him.

I think it was a win win for DS. Start Todd and either he plays well and all happy or as it turned he had to be hooked at 1/2 time. Either way its now clearly down to Todd to regain his place as the manager and the supporters have all now seen enough. 

Exactly this. It was a chance for Todd to show he could shine, and he showed that in his current state, he has some way to go before he can be effective. So, he's going to have to get quality match time in the U23s and cameos off the bench, depending on how matches are panning out.

Now both Todd and Dean know there's a lot of ground to make up and can work on it.

17 hours ago, Star55 said:

Here is a tweet from TC on Twitter and to be honest I feel kind of gutted for him especially by some of the replies he has had, he doesn’t deserve it. He knows he didn’t play great but some fans continued to slate him on Twitter.  I hope he isn’t the kind of person to take things to heart, but the majority of comments were encouraging . I hope he listens to them more than the negative  ones. 

image.jpeg

So,perhaps if he was to come off twitter and instagram and tik-tok and put his energies into what he's handsomely paid for,his performance would improve!

Why the **** do so many of our so called fans hate him so much?

Its disgraceful what is said about him on this forum tbh. There are two sides to every story and yet sad so called fans make up so much bull it’s unreal. 

Call yourself fans? You’re a ****ing disgrace 😡😡

9 minutes ago, mannings bandy legs said:

So,perhaps if he was to come off twitter and instagram and tik-tok and put his energies into what he's handsomely paid for,his performance would improve!

Social media is new lets not forget. Never before have every Tom **** and Harry been able to voice their opinion, and never before have people felt the need (or rather been able) to broadcast their lives and invite the criticism. A lot of people object to the self-publicity. A lot of people just like to attack the successful. Or the wealthy. Acting like the 'Big I am' whilst not being a world beater on the pitch is going to antagonise people. Its how he responds. Gestures on social media isnt the way. 

Social media is incredibly damaging psychologically. Just look at the subculture of 'influencers'. Yet it has become, and inevitibly will remain normal.

2 minutes ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

Its disgraceful what is said about him on this forum tbh. There are two sides to every story and yet sad so called fans make up so much bull it’s unreal. 

People want to see him respond to his mediocrity of late in the right way. That includes less vanity, less ego, and more letting of his football do the talking

14 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

People want to see him respond to his mediocrity of late in the right way. That includes less vanity, less ego, and more letting of his football do the talking

In that case they should get behind him and not judge on his assumed personality. 

20 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

£40m to free transfer

Utter tripe! When , pray tell was Todd ever a £40M player? And as far as I know he's  not left yet. Sad.

35 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

As I said, 2 sides to every story and people don’t know what went on so made **** up. Strange how Gilmour and Cantwell both came back in yesterday and things changed. 

A lot of the problem was Farke, I said before he had fallen out with them both and got that from a member of Todd’s family.

As someone else mentioned on here, maybe fans could get behind TC because on his day he is the best player at the club, but too many fans are acting the way they are actually criticising Todd for behaving, which is a bit ironic really!

Farke dealt with personalities in a very German way. Works with some but not with others.

Personally I'm glad Farke and his backroom team's methods of over coaching and manipulation are gone and I hope Smith will quickly form a set up more interested in what happens on grass rather than on a computer readout.

Keep it simple and players like Cantwell will blossom. Scare them with over demanding discipline and they will shut down.

I think Dean made absolutely the right decision by playing Cantwell and Gilmour. It sent a clear message to both of them that the past was the past and yesterday was a new beginning. Although it was a risk in terms of losing the game, it was probably essential in terms of healing any rifts within the squad. But it also put pressure on both of them to 'walk the walk', as another poster on here described it. If Cantwell has any sense (and I think he's smart), he will realise from his performance yesterday that he is a long way short of being ready at the moment, work his socks off, and get back into favour.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

Have you never thought one of our players was underperforming and not worthy of the shirt then? 

23 minutes ago, astro said:

Have you never thought one of our players was underperforming and not worthy of the shirt then? 

Yes I have, but I don’t put all the vitriol on social media or a forum like the idiots on here. 

Do you think all the vitriol helps? 

Yesterday was the first time Cantwell made a first team appearance for absolutely ages, and when players have out for a long spell you have to give them time to get back to form

Jersey and Uncle Fred have got it totally wrong. Cantwell’s poor performance was not deliberate, it was due to lack of game time as he’s stated that he wants to get back to his best soon

21 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Rightfully hooked after one of the worst displays I have ever seen. Early days after his comeback but I suspect his days are numbered here. 

£40m to free transfer is not great though and someone will have to be sold to balance the finances.

Frankly I think many fans have over-rated Cantwell but not prospective buyers!

Unlike Emi who clearly wanted away with Cantwell at the end of 2019 but knuckled down and got on with it nobody came in for Cantwell at 30 or £40M last summer as no doubt he would of been sold if that had been the case. A bit of a setback for Cantwell that.

For whatever 'new' reason Cantwell has had a similar problematic start to this season as before - and it seems fell out of favour with Farke all over again!

Bottom line is that Cantwell needs to do his bidding on the field & not on Twitter or get the sulks. Maybe, just maybe he'll prove to us all he is a £30M player without 'issues' that any new prospective club would also be now worrying about!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Peterson doesn't slag off 'the young' as a set of people, he slags off the witless cr@p they've been fed by an older (witless) generation of 'academics; I saw the process advancing during my formative years (60s & 70s) when notions of objective reality were being trashed by teachers & lecturers with (selected) Marxist views filtered through Continental (usually French) pseudo-intellectuals who found the idea of empirical evidence repugnant, as it tended to interfere with their prejudices. 

One of Peterson's main aims is to counter all the resultant sh!te about human beings & the reasons for their behaviour & explain why things like getting your own house in order before telling others how to behave are important. He is full of doubt & thinks long & hard about a subject before proffering an opinion. He is the antithesis of those who currently hold sway in an increasingly large percentage of occupants of positions of power privilege & influence & refuses to put people in conveniently labelled boxes so they, & anything they say, can be dismissed without consideration. Thus he has arrived at some simple guiding rules for living, not through merely parroting what previous generations have taken as self-evident common sense, but by examining & analysing the reason for their existence & drawing his own conclusions. Which he is willing to change at any point if verifiable evidence to the contrary is produced.

As far as Todd is concerned, I don't really know to what extent he is victim of the solipsism & egoism that modern education encourages, especially in someone as gifted as him. It really depends on how vulnerable he is. The bits & pieces I've seen of his social media looks pretty cryptic to me, but it does seem he's a fairly sensitive chap - which is no crime, but is going to make it hard to survive in an environment where any weakness, physical or mental, will be ruthlessly exploited by opponents. I genuinely wish him all the best & hope his talent can be allowed to shine.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

Yes I have, but I don’t put all the vitriol on social media or a forum like the idiots on here. 

Do you think all the vitriol helps? 

It’s a forum for people to air their views. Turning a blind eye and making sympathetic noises doesn’t help much either. 

44 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Frankly I think many fans have over-rated Cantwell but not prospective buyers!

Unlike Emi who clearly wanted away with Cantwell at the end of 2019 but knuckled down and got on with it nobody came in for Cantwell at 30 or £40M last summer as no doubt he would of been sold if that had been the case. A bit of a setback for Cantwell that.

For whatever 'new' reason Cantwell has had a similar problematic start to this season as before - and it seems fell out of favour with Farke all over again!

Bottom line is that Cantwell needs to do his bidding on the field & not on Twitter or get the sulks. Maybe, just maybe he'll prove to us all he is a £30M player without 'issues' that any new prospective club would also be now worrying about!

That's often the case though that we tend to value our own more.

His less than cryptic response to yesterday's game sounds a bit more positive and hopefully he's prepared to put the work in and get back to the levels we know he's capable of. He has stiff competition though; the second half performances of Sargent and Rashica will not have gone unnoticed, plus there is Tzolis and Placheta waiting in the wings as well.

I'd like to see him commit to a longer term contract, would be best for him and the club.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

That's a really odd way to summarise Jordan Peterson

I find him quite interesting. Enjoyed watching him destroy that C4 div, can't remember her name.

Although selling millions of books effectively telling people how to live their lives whilst hiding a serious addiction to hard drugs does damage his credibility a bit I feel.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten