Won’t be in the team come Wolves. Would suit all parties if Todd could show glimpses of his championship form and sell in January to replace him with a grafter. 

A  bit too early to be writing off Todd permanently. Today's game may just be the fillip he needs to buck him up as he can see other players will be ahead of him on the team sheet if he doesn't improve sufficiently. The ball is in Todd's court now, he has to improve himself if he wants to play at the top level.

Poor first half, off the pace and clearly needs to get match sharp.

Equally, the entire team was poor and Cantwell is a good player in the final third when we have a lot of the ball. We had 30% of it in the first half.

Hes a quality player though so when match sharp will be important for us.

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

Should never have slung him straight in. Needs to regain match sharpness.

Easy to say in hindsight and to be wise after the event.  Can completely understand why Smith gambled. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kingston Yellow said:

Easy to say in hindsight and to be wise after the event.  Can completely understand why Smith gambled. 

Changes dynamic of the team when you have one of your top players coming back, gives other players that added empthasis to stake their claim.  Both Rashica & Sargent looked well up for it today.

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

£40m to free transfer is not great though and someone will have to be sold to balance the finances.

Only if we go down.

I don't think that is a certainty after 2 wins in 2.

It was an absolutely atrocious performance but not going to write him off after 45 minutes.

Suspect Dean Smith will be using this performance as evidence that Todd Cantwell needs to hit the treadmill though, looked well off the pace and looked completely knackered after half an hour.

1 hour ago, Uncle Fred said:

Showed his true colours today no wonder Farke had binned him off 

He was certainly not great today, however we have seen him in brilliant form in the past. So I’m not sure how you can say today’s performance or his true colours. Surely his true colours are when he performs as we know he can?

• Like 3

Both Rashica and Cantwell were pretty clueless in dealing with the wingbacks they were up against. It was an easy ball time and time again first half to either wing. Cantwell was hooked and Rashica (who Smith wanted at Villa) was excellent 2nd half and Southampton were nowhere near as effective.

Cantwell needs to get fit bloody quickly and improve his defensive capability otherwise I can't see him getting much game time other than off the bench. The ball is in his court, get yourself off social media and working your nuts off in training.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

But how do you get match fit if you're not playing 😉

If only the players did something during the week.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, RobJames said:

If only the players did something during the week.

There is a difference with being physically fit and match fit.

Here is a tweet from TC on Twitter and to be honest I feel kind of gutted for him especially by some of the replies he has had, he doesn’t deserve it. He knows he didn’t play great but some fans continued to slate him on Twitter.  I hope he isn’t the kind of person to take things to heart, but the majority of comments were encouraging . I hope he listens to them more than the negative  ones. 

image.jpeg

Edited by Star55
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Star55 said:

Here is a tweet from TC on Twitter and to be honest I feel kind of gutted for him especially by some of the replies he has had, he doesn’t deserve it. He knows he didn’t play great but some fans continued to slate him on Twitter.  I hope he isn’t the kind of person to take things to heart, but the majority of comments were encouraging . I hope he listens to them more than the negative  ones. 

image.jpeg

Great to hear.  He’s a great talent and a good lad.  Look forward to seeing him back to his best over the next game or two.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Rolf Harris said:

There is a difference with being physically fit and match fit.

Cantwell has been playing pretty regularly for the U23s...

Regardless, actually didn't think he was a complete disaster in the first half and the positive spirit in his tweet was encouraging. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Cantwell has been playing pretty regularly for the U23s...

Regardless, actually didn't think he was a complete disaster in the first half and the positive spirit in his tweet was encouraging. 

Always has to be a boo boy doesn't there?!

Cantwell needs to get back to basics. He needs to stop believing his own hype that he is the next big thing destined for the top. He strikes me as someone who feels he should be at a bigger club and is superior to his team-mates, and his image is very deliberate, to make him look like he is on another level and Norwich are lucky to have him.

Personally he'd be the player Id miss least if we moved him on.

• Like 1

The excuses some people make on here for his performance today are laughable. He gets paid a sizeable wedge, has a wonderful chance of success, has had ample time to train and get himself up to speed, and all he could produce was some poorly thought out flicks and muddy knees. Only grit and determination is going to see us survive in this league at this point in time. He needs to show some instead of promising it on social media. 

2 hours ago, Flying Dutchman said:

I will never understand the desire to tear down a player who is a genuine local lad and find absolutely anything people can find wrong with him. On a personal level he is doing everything I wanted to do as a young lad all those years ago - and f***ing fair play to him, that cannot be easy.

This. So much this.

• Like 2

I think Dean Smith was showing some tough love to Gilmour and Cantwell this afternoon. Obviously, both players will have been upset at not being picked for the team by Farke, so in putting them on today, DS is saying go on and prove you're good enough to play. Out on the pitch there's nowhere to hide. 

Gilmour probably did enough to stake a claim to a starting spot. Cantwell not so much. But if he is as clever a lad as he thinks he is, Cantwell knows he has more to do to impress. It's down to him now. I haven't written him off, but he's got work to do.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WD40 said:

Won’t be in the team come Wolves. Would suit all parties if Todd could show glimpses of his championship form and sell in January to replace him with a grafter. 

For me this is the only outcome left, he has had 2 episodes of throwing his toys out the pram, refuses to sign a new contract

he has to go in January 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Google Bot said:

Been left out for such a period so will be rusty, forgot how physical he can play so great seeing him on the field again.  Over keen but will settle in very soon. 

Haters gonna hate, though.  Got 45 mins under his belt, and we took all 3 points - all good (imo).

We only looked like drawing or winning after he went off TBH.

4 hours ago, Son Ova Gunn said:

Cantwell firing on all cylinders is the most creative player left in our squad. If we have any chance of salvaging some pride from this season we will need him back to his best and that is now Deans challenge. Hopefully today was the first step.

I don't think our goal is to salvage pride at this point. We're back in it and one game out of safety. Survival and winning games is the goal. If we hadn't picked up 6 points over the last two game, then sure, we could look for some positives during a lost season and move on in the Championship, but I believe that has sailed. On to wolves and another three points.

12 hours ago, Flying Dutchman said:

It's not often I entertain the spam poster extraordinaire himself in CC, but damn it Jersey, you've forced me to.

He's absllutely right here, real d!ck post from Jersey on a player who has just come back from a combination of injury/personal stuff/potential fallout with a manger (we will never know).

He was not good, we all saw that, Dean Smith saw that, he'll Todd probably knows that. 

I will never understand the desire to tear down a player who is a genuine local lad and find absolutely anything people can find wrong with him. On a personal level he is doing everything I wanted to do as a young lad all those years ago - and f***ing fair play to him, that cannot be easy.

Really not match-fit and sure, maybe he shouldn't have started today, but Smith identified it wasn't happening and he needed to come off, and brought him off. 

How about just getting behind a player who has so often said how much Norwich means to him. It doesn't mean 'happy-clapping' or just accepting what/who he is. It means just simply supporting. Big keyword there.

You act like he played poorly on purpose, and of all the player I genuinely imagine this is the last one to ever do that for his local team.

No one has said he played bad deliberately, he’s just not that good. Not as good as he thinks he is. He did nothing today, he’s done nothing this season when he played and he was decidedly average last season when he should have been ripping The Championship up like Buendia did but he didn’t.  He’s not a youngster any more he’s 23 he should be getting near his peak.

Whilst he’s got this attitude and his level of performance I think the club is better off selling him in January and buying someone who can have a more positive impact on the club and on the pitch.

I think he is a good player who can do well in EPL. I think some people don't rate him unless he will become top player in this level which he might never do. Not overly happy with all the hassle he has been part of though, but I think he is still valuable first team player.

Yesterday was not his best performance, but he had the fearless mentality to do things with the ball that makes him a good player. However, he was clearly lacking match fitness and could not keep up with tempo of the game (especially with ball) and those combined will lead to silly looking mistakes. When he gets his fitness back, I'm sure we will see him performing. Either as starter or impact sub.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, astro said:

The excuses some people make on here for his performance today are laughable. He gets paid a sizeable wedge, has a wonderful chance of success, has had ample time to train and get himself up to speed, and all he could produce was some poorly thought out flicks and muddy knees. Only grit and determination is going to see us survive in this league at this point in time. He needs to show some instead of promising it on social media. 

Todd needs a good dose of Jordan Peterson. I wonder if his bedroom is tidy?

He talks the talk. Time to walk the walk. He strikes me as having had some bad advice or inflences. He seems to think the way to the top is to get noticed, rather than to put in the graft and let his football do the talking. Sign of the times perhaps.

I notice with my own kids - they want the praise, but also they expect it, like they're entitled to it. They want it to come automatically, as a right, but arent prepared to put in the level of effort that would see it forthcoming.

As someone who buckled down their entire life, never had to be made to do homework and generally became successful through hard work rather than talent this galls me. But I find the above attitude common amongst Millenials (and technically Im one of them)

• Like 1