Didn’t Cantwell prove his critics and Dean Smith correct today? Awful. Getting caught dribbling inside your box. Not tracking back. Not sticking with his man. And apart from one run offered nothing going forwards. 

Goodbye Todd. I hope your big money move works out well for you. 

Very poor and disrespectful post. Just came back from injury, and even the commeters said he would only be playing the first 45. Yes, he did not play well but he's still not at full fitness. No doubt will improve in time.

• Like 14

Rightfully hooked after one of the worst displays I have ever seen. Early days after his comeback but I suspect his days are numbered here. 

£40m to free transfer is not great though and someone will have to be sold to balance the finances.

We all knew it was a risk when we saw him name on the team sheet, you don't keep one of your best players out the side unless you really have to, so whatever has gone on such him he's clearly not match fit but hopefully this is the start of a comeback for him

1 minute ago, Capt. Pants said:

Rightfully hooked after one of the worst displays I have ever seen. Early days after his comeback but I suspect his days are numbered here. 

£40m to free transfer is not great though and someone will have to be sold to balance the finances.

How'd you work that out? 

Cantwell firing on all cylinders is the most creative player left in our squad. If we have any chance of salvaging some pride from this season we will need him back to his best and that is now Deans challenge. Hopefully today was the first step.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Should never have slung him straight in. Needs to regain match sharpness.

But then who would you have played instead? Dowell dropped out late from a positive Covid test, and I can see why they'd be hesitant to start Sargeant there. Cantwell has more experience than Tzolis and I can't see them playing Rupp right wing again. 

17 minutes ago, Jersey Canary said:

Didn’t Cantwell prove his critics and Dean Smith correct today? Awful. Getting caught dribbling inside your box. Not tracking back. Not sticking with his man. And apart from one run offered nothing going forwards. 

Goodbye Todd. I hope your big money move works out well for you. 

He’s not match fit tbf

Gilmour has less excuses

Edited by The Real Buh
  • Like 1

Dean Smith wanted to show faith in him. Same with Gilmour. Luckily for Gilmour he had international football to get some match fitness. Cantwell has not had that. He'll will improve with games.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Very poor and disrespectful post. Just came back from injury, and even the commeters said he would only be playing the first 45. Yes, he did not play well but he's still not at full fitness. No doubt will improve in time.

It's not often I entertain the spam poster extraordinaire himself in CC, but damn it Jersey, you've forced me to.

He's absllutely right here, real d!ck post from Jersey on a player who has just come back from a combination of injury/personal stuff/potential fallout with a manger (we will never know).

He was not good, we all saw that, Dean Smith saw that, he'll Todd probably knows that. 

I will never understand the desire to tear down a player who is a genuine local lad and find absolutely anything people can find wrong with him. On a personal level he is doing everything I wanted to do as a young lad all those years ago - and f***ing fair play to him, that cannot be easy.

Really not match-fit and sure, maybe he shouldn't have started today, but Smith identified it wasn't happening and he needed to come off, and brought him off. 

How about just getting behind a player who has so often said how much Norwich means to him. It doesn't mean 'happy-clapping' or just accepting what/who he is. It means just simply supporting. Big keyword there.

You act like he played poorly on purpose, and of all the player I genuinely imagine this is the last one to ever do that for his local team.

• Like 11

Been left out for such a period so will be rusty, forgot how physical he can play so great seeing him on the field again.  Over keen but will settle in very soon. 

Haters gonna hate, though.  Got 45 mins under his belt, and we took all 3 points - all good (imo).

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Flying Dutchman said:

It's not often I entertain the spam poster extraordinaire himself in CC, but damn it Jersey, you've forced me to.

He's absllutely right here, real d!ck post from Jersey on a player who has just come back from a combination of injury/personal stuff/potential fallout with a manger (we will never know).

He was not good, we all saw that, Dean Smith saw that, he'll Todd probably knows that. 

I will never understand the desire to tear down a player who is a genuine local lad and find absolutely anything people can find wrong with him. On a personal level he is doing everything I wanted to do as a young lad all those years ago - and f***ing fair play to him, that cannot be easy.

Really not match-fit and sure, maybe he shouldn't have started today, but Smith identified it wasn't happening and he needed to come off, and brought him off. 

How about just getting behind a player who has so often said how much Norwich means to him. It doesn't mean 'happy-clapping' or just accepting what/who he is. It means just simply supporting. Big keyword there.

You act like he played poorly on purpose, and of all the player I genuinely imagine this is the last one to ever do that for his local team.

Well said 👏

Out of reactions but +1 to everyone who says give the lad some time to get match fit - which can only be achieved by actually playing matches. And sadface to everyone laying into him.

• Like 4

Exactly. Full week of training and he will getting towards fitness after 10 weeks away from first team training.

Those cryptic tweets don't help if you can't back it up with performances on the pitch.

I'm a big Cantwell fan but lack of match fitness or not, if you can't get the basics rights then you have little place to go.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rolf Harris said:

Dean Smith wanted to show faith in him. Same with Gilmour. Luckily for Gilmour he had international football to get some match fitness. Cantwell has not had that. He'll will improve with games.

Agree with this but a bit more to it. If he wasn't match for then DS wouldn't or shouldn't have picked him.

I think it was a win win for DS. Start Todd and either he plays well and all happy or as it turned he had to be hooked at 1/2 time. Either way its now clearly down to Todd to regain his place as the manager and the supporters have all now seen enough. 

• Like 2

Give the guy a break. He has hardly played all season, he is nowhere near match fit, but won't become so without playing games!

When he's fit, he can add a lot to the team!

Not sure it was lack of match fitness. More what was going on in his head.

He better realise sharpish that you only get away with his tricks if you are truly exceptional - & that includes the necessary strength - otherwise he's going to be toast in the PL

• Like 1

I won’t knock his performance after not playing for so long - everyone was awful for the first 45.

But it did seem a bit odd that the entire team was on the pitch after the game apart from him. Not sure if I was missing something but didn’t look like he was on the pitch celebrating at all?

• Like 1

Would think that Webber had more to do picking today’s team than Dean Smith 

• Haha 1

He's played now and will finally feel part of the team, yes he was off the pace he will know that and Smith will reiterate this. He now has an incentive to knuckle down;onwards and upwards Mr C

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 3

August 28th was the last time he started a Prem game. Would probably have been better coming off the bench while the other team were tiring. Better things to come, let's enjoy the win and being off the bottom of the table.