Petriix

How to fix the midfield in 15 minutes

6 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

I note that Kabak has joined the ever present list of scapegoats some on this forum need. Little faults in his game are being magnified or even invented, whilst his strengths ignored. He's young, new to the club, and boy could we have done with the likes of his presence in the squad the last time we were in the Premier League.

Think Kabak has the makings of a defensive midfielder, can tackle and physically strong. Can pass and likes to go on runs forwards. Think Normann and Kabak as the two defensive midfielders with Billy in front would work very well (in my head at least). 

I think when you look at that side and think what we might need in January, a holding midfielder to enable Normann to cut loose a bit is probably still top of the list. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Petriix said:

Leaving their fullback unmarked wasn't the real issue. It was Rashica consistently failing to track the runner from midfield whenever Max went to cover the fullback. While it would normally fall to the wide midfielder to cover the opposite fullback when out of possession, you absolutely have to pick up *someone*. It was poor from Rashica however you look at it. 

It wasn't Rashica's or Max's fault - they were both working hard, but Southampton kept on overloading us on the right, leaving them 3 against 2. One man cannot mark and track the runs of two men. They needed more support from the midfield (Gilmour?).

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

We are NCFC we should have a Van Dijk or a Maguire (??) in central defence after all.)

Truth is that they make mistakes too - especially Maguire - apparently £70 million worth! Players make mistakes, especially when under constant pressure.

15 minutes ago, Baracouda said:

Think Kabak has the makings of a defensive midfielder, can tackle and physically strong. Can pass and likes to go on runs forwards. Think Normann and Kabak as the two defensive midfielders with Billy in front would work very well (in my head at least). 

I'd thought that previously, but was laughed off this forum, as was another poster. Apparently he wasn't mobile enough. The thought had come from those runs that he was beginning to make from the back at regular intervals and beating more than a man or two at the same time (no end product admittedly.)

He's a unit, and young.

A layman's thought though. Dean Smith will know.

Edited by BroadstairsR

After that game I am obsoletely positive that the new manager will not be expecting Pukki to run his legs off across the width of the pitch, all the time. As for 'the press', it's all about timing, co-ordination and intelligence.

Equally, when they look at the stats today, the wide players will have covered less kilometres, but been more effective.

We have a good manager. What a pity Daniel didn't evolve and improve. I suspect his ego got in the way, and he's now history.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BroadstairsR said:

I'd thought that previously, but was laughed off this forum, as was another poster. Apparently he wasn't mobile enough. The thought had come from those runs that he was beginning to make from the back at regular intervals and beating more than a man or two at the same time (no end product admittedly.)

He's a unit, and young.

A layman's thought though. Dean Smith will know.

fair comments, but it fits the mold of the type of player you would like. Big, Strong and competitive. Likes to get involved although sometimes this gets him into trouble (bit of a walking yellow card). Passing is good enough for a DM/CB particularly when instructions would be pass to Gilmour or Normann. The occasional run to mix it up and would handy at set pieces. 

But as you say, Smith will know

40 minutes ago, Badger said:

It wasn't Rashica's or Max's fault - they were both working hard, but Southampton kept on overloading us on the right, leaving them 3 against 2. One man cannot mark and track the runs of two men. They needed more support from the midfield (Gilmour?).

That's not how I saw it. Several times their number 24 (Elyounoussi) ran untracked into the box while Rashica was jogging back without picking up anyone.

As I said, I don't really mind which one of the two he tracks, but it's pretty simple football tactics that your right sided fullback and midfielder need to track their left sided counterparts when out of possession. If the fullback is picking up the opposite fullback then the midfielder must stay goal-side of his opposite number. 

Yes, the DMs also need to provide cover. But, if the overload keeps happening, you have to look at who hasn't tracked their man.

22 hours ago, Ian said:

Was it he or Norman who hit that incredible volleyed-outside-of-the-boot pass during the second half?

Normann