Sign in to follow this  
Fiery Zac

Timmy, Timmy Krul

10 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Maybe, maybe not, but he was saving shots from a ball that weighed twice as much as the modern type beach footballs.

And uphill in the snow!

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Is Krul an underachiever then? Because Woods has a far superior CV, period. 

Krul is competing in the era of elite sportsmen

Woods couldn’t wait for the game to end so he could go the pub and the bookies

its a different ballgame these days.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Newtopia said:

Gunn is the best I have seen at Norwich, Woods, Ruddy, and Krul were all really good, but Gunn was special and for a long time. 

Sadly I never saw Keelan.

Ruddy was terrible. Agree on the others though and would add Green to the list.

When living in Manchester area, I saw Oldham V Us on a miserable afternoon weather wise, probably November or January 1984/85.

I think we ended up 4 - 1 winners but the most memorable thing that day was the totally outstanding displays by two young goalkeepers who were just started to be noticed by fans & national team managers.

Were it not for a staggering series of amazing saves at each end the game could have ended something like 7 - 7. Not joking.

Andy Goram was the young Oldham keeper (before the betting addiction started to distract him) & Chris Woods was ours.

I can't say who was best we have ever had as I have only seen us on a weekly basis when I lived in Norwich from 1979 to 1983. I saw Keelan's last season & Chris Woods introduction to the side. Woods looked the business immediately, better than Keelan, who still looked solid but who was a relatively old player by then.

We have been fortunate over the years to have many top quality keepers, all have been named in this thread. Unfortunately, we have needed them rather too often!   

3 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

Kevin keelan played in a league where they were all drunk most of the time 

Give your head a serious wobble FFS !

7 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Give your head a serious wobble FFS !

And the pitch was uphill in both directions and they used a cannonball instead of a football and the pitch was made out of broken glass corona bottles yeah we get it

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

Krul is competing in the era of elite sportsmen

Woods couldn’t wait for the game to end so he could go the pub and the bookies

its a different ballgame these days.

It is a different ball game these days but everything is relative.

Woods, and most of the other goalies mentioned were playing against the best players, the elite sportsmen of their time, as is Krul now.

Overall, standards have greatly improved but that doesn't mean that the players of 20, 30 and 40 years ago we're not any good.

6 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

And the pitch was uphill in both directions and they used a cannonball instead of a football and the pitch was made out of broken glass corona bottles yeah we get it

Cannonball for a football - luxury! We used to dream about pitches made of broken glass bottles! Footballers today don't know how hard it was - and we paid for the privilege! And as for uphill pitches, Ron Saunders exercising the team up Mousehold Heath is enough to make one reconsider their career choice!

So, whilst accepting that Kevin Keelan was actually the GOAT, I think the question should be around who can hold a candle to him!

Also, please remember the KK was one of the original contributors to the famous Canaries song 🎶 and that alone puts him on a different level!

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Complete nonsense - he was very good

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

He wasn't but that's just my opinion.

He was Players' Player of the Season when we finished 12th in the Prem and was called up for the Euros that summer.

Which makes your opinion seem rather foolish, doesn't it? 

The combined wisdom of the Norwich squad and the England manager say one thing but Worthy Nigelton from the Pink Un forum disagrees and now I don't know who to believe

Edited by kirku

4 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Ruddy was so terrible he got called up to England while playing for us! 😉

We're the only team in his entire career he has been able to grab the number spot for more than a season. A career sub-keeper (us aside).

Gunn was nothing special as a keeper, just happened to be in the most successful City team.  Let in a few he should have saved. 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Don’t be Krul said:

Keelan is a club legend but for pure ability it has to be Chris Woods. Does anyone remember the save away at Luton from a David Moss header?

In a 1 nil win 1983 ish if I remember

22 hours ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Green was very good, in my opinion so was Ruddy - he did play for England.....

I go back as far as Keelan and plenty of fantastic keepers since then. Keelan and Green would be my two favourites but Krul has to be the best at saving penalties we’ve ever had.

It’s so difficult comparing players of different generations, whatever their playing position as the game has evolved so much in the last 50 years.

In terms of goalkeepers, Keenan definitely my number one and the best keeper never to have been capped by England. However he didn’t have to cope with the current back pass rule which I feel has made goalkeeping very different.

Tim Krul has continued the long line of great keepers we have had and is certainly worth the words ‘club legend’. Keep doing what you are doing Tim ( that save from Adams yesterday won us 2 extra points) and who knows where we might end up finishing at the end of this season.

Edited by pearsos

23 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Ruddy was so terrible he got called up to England while playing for us! 😉

Plus Chelsea was ready to pay around 8 mil. for him. 

On 20/11/2021 at 14:35, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Absolutely brilliant save in the first half . 

Absolutely 💯 percent. 🤗