Ramrod

That's what a proper performance feels like.

Organised (after a half-time talk). 

Better balance of defence and attack. 

Spirit and giving supporters something to back. 

Set piece goal. 

Full back assist. 

Timely subs. 

In game tactical changes. 

• Like 4

Let's not get carried away, we were competitive second half, yes. However, we were truly abysmal first half, could and should have been losing at half time. Lets be honest, it was two keeper mistakes that won it for us. 

Still, I like the energy and positivity for the second half. More of that please. Less of the first half.

• Like 2

Yes perspective is needed in that we were lucky to not be losing at half time. However more impressive for me is that this is after only 2 training sessions with Smith/Shakespeare (one for Normann I believe) so a fantastic performance to start and only going to improve with more time together

The manager can only do so much with 2 training sessions but even after that we looked much better. I'm excited to see what the team looks like after he's had a few more weeks. 

More encouraging though was pressing football! I've been calling for that for so long. I hate how we always wanted to sit off and not engage until we were in a low block. A well organised press can mitigate so many weaknesses and really helps to make up a quality gap

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann

While they were undeniably far better than us in the first half, we do deserve credit for hanging in there - tbh they actually only had one real out-and-out cast iron chance and that was well saved by Krul.  

29 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

The manager can only do so much with 2 training sessions but even after that we looked much better. I'm excited to see what the team looks like after he's had a few more weeks. 

More encouraging though was pressing football! I've been calling for that for so long. I hate how we always wanted to sit off and not engage until we were in a low block. A well organised press can mitigate so many weaknesses and really helps to make up a quality gap

Yes they started coughing up possession once we pressed them 

21 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Agree that the pressing was good in the second half and didn't allow time on the ball and forced mistakes. Has to be done well though - and it was, with Sargent key in that.

Something your beloved Farke failed to sort though, wasn’t it?

Now can you accept we have a far better EPL manager please

1 minute ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

Something your beloved Farke failed to sort though, wasn’t it?  Now can you accept we have a far better EPL manager please

No. Farke played Sargent in the same kind of role - it's just that today collectively the team were really up for it.

Edited by lake district canary

That’s it, we are not going down!.

I think the bottom three will be Newcastle, Brentford and Burnley. We have turned it around and finally know how to play football.

10 minutes ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

Talk about a knee jerk reaction!

He's had one game, half was absolutely horrendous and half was decent. Give it time. 

If Smith has anything close to the overall impact Farke did, then we'll all be extremely happy.

Great win today and some positives, but the thread title is way OTT. We werent great today by any stretch of the imagination and the first half was dreadful IMO. However, we hung in there, came from behind to win and showed determination so those are real good signs... but that is not where the bar should be set. We were playing one of the lesser teams at home and they played us off the park for 45 minutes.

I think the point is that today either Smith picked the team on impulse, or Webber picked it for him. But at halftime Smith made the required changes and Southampton weren't really in it 2nd half. Not pretty but you got the feeling the players did as they were told and did it well.

We just about shaded it, as for all their possession Southampton didn't really force Krul into action apart from a save late first half. 

2nd half felt 100% better than any home game I've seen all season in terms of the players understanding what they needed to do. The experience of Smith and Shakespeare got us over the line today. The guy sitting next to me pointed out the two were standing side by side the whole game. Totally involved, totally calculating.

3 hours ago, lake district canary said:

No. Farke played Sargent in the same kind of role - it's just that today collectively the team were really up for it.

Wasn’t talking about Sargent, I was talking about the pressing, something Farke didn’t get right, even you have to admit that surely?

3 hours ago, lake district canary said:

I love Farke, and didn't want him sacked - but the point being made is that Farke has never tactically deployed high pressing triggers whilst in charge of Norwich. 

As @Christoph Stiepermann mentioned, it can make up for a lack of quality in other areas and certainly suits our midfielders, as well as our wide players.

Sargent pressed singularly when he played under Farke which whilst admirable doesn't achieve a great deal.

3 hours ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

Early days.