Big performance from him. He may lack high quality, but he's such an engine who will hound the defenders and that's something really valuable for us this season.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Hucks6 said:

Couldn’t agree more. Majority on here wanted him out. Given time comes to mined

Yes, he dug deep.Β 

• Haha 8

22 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Well played son. Made a big difference second halfΒ πŸ‘

And what else did you conclude LDC.

Just askingΒ 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Making Plans said:
26 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

And what else did you conclude LDC.

Just askingΒ 

Go fish somewhere else.

He improves on his previous performance each time he plays and has a physicality and presence that used well is well up to this level.....now if he could get a goal or two, that would really boost his confidence in front of goal, had one decent effort today that was deflected for a corner.

Just now, lake district canary said:

Go fish somewhere else.

He improves on his previous performance each time he plays and has a physicality and presence that used well is well up to this level.....now if he could get a goal or two, that would really boost his confidence in front of goal, had one decent effort today that was deflected for a corner.

A goal or two will do wonders for him too, something he's perfectly capable of.

• Like 2

There is an endless list of players that have been written off within two or three games by this forum, give the young man a chance to settle in then judge him. He gives 100% and I think he will get better and better. No, I am not LakeyΒ in disguise πŸ˜€

• Like 2

Played to his strengths a bit more too, used the long ball to match him up with a smaller full back. He's much more of a Smith player than Farke.Β 

Fair play to him today. Can never argue with his effort from what I've seen of him so far. It would be great if he could build on this and grow in confidence and we could have a hell of a player on our hands.

He deserves praise for his hard and impactful work. Fans cheered him and he fought like it was rugby. Big heart

13 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Go fish somewhere else.

So, after an excellent team performance, a change of formation with a sub coming on at half time, 2 goals, a second win on the bounce, players brought in from the cold, most players having their best game of the season etc, you choose only to mention Sargent.

For someone who usually has something to say about everything on a Saturday evening I find that very strange.

Β 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

They all played well second half but he was brilliant. Poor old Todd just didn’t look fit.

If we survive I think Sargent will have played a big part. Now let’s see him push on and score.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

My 78-year-old dad who sits in the upper Barkley said during theΒ first half β€œget Cantwell off and bring Sargent on.” πŸ˜€πŸ‘

15 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

So, after an excellent team performance, a change of formation with a sub coming on at half time, 2 goals, a second win on the bounce, players brought in from the cold, most players having their best game of the season etc, you choose only to mention Sargent.

For someone who usually has something to say about everything on a Saturday evening I find that very strange.

Β 

He was the difference. His robust play gave the Southampton players no peace and changed the game. Nuff said.

• Like 1

Was superb in the 2nd half, said a few weeks ago I thought he could be a player in a deeper position rather than a striker.Β 

• Like 1

Agreed, think he changed the game.

Possibly seeing his best position too, hes not a striker but as hard working wide forward he offers something.Β 

DF changed our approach this season to be a bit more physical and bring Sargent in to be a big part of that.Β  It took Smith all of 45 minutes to realise a similar thing. Maybe DF had something right after all....anyway, onwards and upwards.Β  Great win.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, kirku said:

He's like a worse Heskey. And I mean that as a compliment.Β 

I said when we signed him that he reminds me of Dirk Kuyt, and whilst Sargent is clearly not as good as Kuyt, I still feel that's a decent comparison, despite a certain someone mocking me for it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I said when we signed him that he reminds me of Dirk Kuyt, and whilst Sargent is clearly not as good as Kuyt, I still feel that's a decent comparison, despite a certain someone mocking me for it.

Yep, can completely see that comparison. Very similar qualities. Only people with a very rudimentary grasp of football malign such players.

If he ends up with a career even approaching Dirk's or Emile's, he (and Norwich) will have done very well.

Edit: a bit of a random, and not particularly thought through, thought - could Josh "do an Alan Smith" and totally change position?!

Edited by kirku

I think its no coincidence Sargents better performances have come when he's been used out wide. I know we lost,Β  but against Watford he was a bright spark.

His poor touch and control are less of a problem out wide than in the middle, he's typically against a fullback rather than CB so tends to benefit from a physical advantage out their too.

Equally, when we played more like DS wants us too - I.e with a very high press, it hugely suits Sargents style and work rate.

21 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

DF changed our approach this season to be a bit more physical and bring Sargent in to be a big part of that.Β  It took Smith all of 45 minutes to realise a similar thing. Maybe DF had something right after all....anyway, onwards and upwards.Β  Great win.

And in that 45, Smith made him more useful than Farke did.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I think its no coincidence Sargents better performances have come when he's been used out wide. I know we lost,Β  but against Watford he was a bright spark.

His poor touch and control are less of a problem out wide than in the middle, he's typically against a fullback rather than CB so tends to benefit from a physical advantage out their too.

Equally, when we played more like DS wants us too - I.e with a very high press, it hugely suits Sargents style and work rate.

Agree, I think he's much more suited to playing out wide. He can carry the ball forward at pace and he gets back to do the defensive work, he's strong enough to get around opposition players and he's got decent vision and he's good at linking up the play.

He's not your traditional wide player, but I think he can be that unorthadox, awkward player who causes the opposition problems through his work rate and just being so different to what they're used to facing in that position. Kind of like Stiepermann in the no.10 role in the Championship, teams just didn't really know how to cope withΒ a player like him playing that role.Β 

Β 

The issue is thinking of him as a striker, because he's not a natural finisher, you can even see that in the recent training videos, he struggles a bit to set himself and he doesn't strike the ball that cleanly, if you play him out wide you use his biggest strengths and mitigate his biggest weakness and for me we've looked a better side this year with him somewhere in the team than without him.Β 

Arguably the best compliment you could give Sargent from a Norwich perspective is that he's a Stiepermann upgrade butΒ on a wing. He's got a fair few similarities to Stiepi, but at a higher level, that willingness to make a complete and utter nuisance of himself, a style of running with the ball that's best described as idiosyncratic, and is decent at carrying the ball forward whilst generally leaving players scattered all over the gaff.

• Haha 1