6 hours ago, 7HAR1980 said:

"inevitably break down due to him not playing the right ball or failing to execute accurately"

This generally happens to young players finding their feet and to players that are new to English football and particularly the premier league.

He's 21 and needs time.

We acquired Sargent for £11m - he's major signing not a local youth player.

For that money we want (1) people with natural ability & (2) people that can hit the ground running !

2 hours ago, Six Pack said:

We acquired Sargent for £11m - he's major signing not a local youth player.

For that money we want (1) people with natural ability & (2) people that can hit the ground running !

1, he has natural ability. There isn't many, if any professional players without natural ability these days.

2, it was reported on Sky the fee was £8m. In this league that fee is peanuts but astute business for a 21 year old who has over 80 Bundesliga appearances. 

Did you expect him to just simply replace the performances of Buendia? Who went for £35m i might add.

3 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Josh just needs to sort out his 1st touch and hopefully bag a few goals.....Then he'll be a prize asset......

His first goal this week . Has to happen 

6 hours ago, 7HAR1980 said:

1, he has natural ability. There isn't many, if any professional players without natural ability these days.

2, it was reported on Sky the fee was £8m. In this league that fee is peanuts but astute business for a 21 year old who has over 80 Bundesliga appearances. 

Did you expect him to just simply replace the performances of Buendia? Who went for £35m i might add.

OK I'll re-word - requires a certain skillset to succeed at this level.

Difficult to replace like-for-like so not expecting that - just a certain quality of player. Example Rashica came for about the same money - in my opinion he's one of our best players.

But Sargent's isn't only one not up to expectation - there are many. That's why Sargent gets into the team - by default !

5 hours ago, RobertRosariosBeefTomatoes said:

Sargent is a fantastic player. Majority of trolls were the same who were asking if Farke was Vrancic's uncle.

My post started defending Cantwell and pointing out the good & not so good points of Sargent - so not trolling but replying to other posters points may have me looking anti-Sargent. No-one wants him to fail !

For the record, my opinion Vrancic and Robert Rosario will always have a (positive) place in our clubs history. Both had fantastic technique. We do not have to repeat the exploits of Vrancic but Rosario scored one of the best goals in football history.  Though a big man Rosario had the skillset for the top level. Was extremely upset to see those two leave our club.

Sargent at the moment is a little raw. However, his physicality belies his years (Idah who is known as an absolute unit looks leagues behind him in that regard) and he's got a terrific work ethic.

In Huckerbys book, he explained how in the MLS he found the opposition to be physically outstanding but lacking in nous- not far off I'd say.

I would have Grant Holt come in 2 days a week to coach him into turning what he has into end product. I could see him getting to around Shane Long levels, which all things considered isn't terrible for a top 17 side 🙃

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Six Pack said:

OK I'll re-word - requires a certain skillset to succeed at this level.

Difficult to replace like-for-like so not expecting that - just a certain quality of player. Example Rashica came for about the same money - in my opinion he's one of our best players.

But Sargent's isn't only one not up to expectation - there are many. That's why Sargent gets into the team - by default !

"That's why Sargent gets into the team - by default !"

What an extreme statement. Where is your evidence of that? Do you watch him on a daily basis in training? Why do you think you know better than all the coaches and gaffer?

I understand its just your opinion but your opinion is baseless. 

Sargent is slowly coming to grips with the rigours of the premier league and at his age it doesn't matter whether he cost £5m,£10m,£50m he would still need time to settle.

7 hours ago, 7HAR1980 said:

"That's why Sargent gets into the team - by default !"

What an extreme statement. Where is your evidence of that? Do you watch him on a daily basis in training? Why do you think you know better than all the coaches and gaffer?

I understand its just your opinion but your opinion is baseless. 

Sargent is slowly coming to grips with the rigours of the premier league and at his age it doesn't matter whether he cost £5m,£10m,£50m he would still need time to settle.

Where's my evidence ? - I base my opinion on watching matches !

I agree with the coaches - play Sargent. But it's not because the coaches are spoiled by choice and have a selection headache ! It's because he's the best out of a poor lot - look at the options we have for the 3rd attacking spot (behind Pukki & Rashica):

Dowell -  has a good shot and dead ball on him but an absolute lightweight in the outfield, can't tackle, track his man, too slow, opponents pass him like he wasn't there, can only make easy passes. 

Tzolis - can't even stay on his feet when a shooting chance comes along, can't shoot, looked completely out of his depth when selected.

Placheta - fast but no end product. Can harass thru his speed. Up to this point has not been tried at this level by the coaches - is it because he is too lightweight ?  

Idah - Has potential as he has the ability to run with the ball and has a good shot on him. Somehow it never happens for him in "live" games. 

Cantwell -  Not match fit

Hernandez - Loaned out, should be recalled.

Sargent has his obvious limitations put has more going for him (target man) than the others.

We would really be stuffed if Pukki & Rashica were to get injured. I think Mumba and Lees-Melou could be deployed further up the pitch.

In my opinion, there are going 2 positions where we have good selection options, these are right wing back (Aarons/Mumba) and left wing back (Giannoulis/Williams) - we are weak in all other positions. DS & Shakespeare can change this I know - have they got enough to work with ?

59 minutes ago, Six Pack said:

Where's my evidence ? - I base my opinion on watching matches !

I agree with the coaches - play Sargent. But it's not because the coaches are spoiled by choice and have a selection headache ! It's because he's the best out of a poor lot - look at the options we have for the 3rd attacking spot (behind Pukki & Rashica):

Dowell -  has a good shot and dead ball on him but an absolute lightweight in the outfield, can't tackle, track his man, too slow, opponents pass him like he wasn't there, can only make easy passes. 

Tzolis - can't even stay on his feet when a shooting chance comes along, can't shoot, looked completely out of his depth when selected.

Placheta - fast but no end product. Can harass thru his speed. Up to this point has not been tried at this level by the coaches - is it because he is too lightweight ?  

Idah - Has potential as he has the ability to run with the ball and has a good shot on him. Somehow it never happens for him in "live" games. 

Cantwell -  Not match fit

Hernandez - Loaned out, should be recalled.

Sargent has his obvious limitations put has more going for him (target man) than the others.

We would really be stuffed if Pukki & Rashica were to get injured. I think Mumba and Lees-Melou could be deployed further up the pitch.

In my opinion, there are going 2 positions where we have good selection options, these are right wing back (Aarons/Mumba) and left wing back (Giannoulis/Williams) - we are weak in all other positions. DS & Shakespeare can change this I know - have they got enough to work with ?

Best out a poor lot yet 4 of the players you mention have not had anywhere near enough game time at this level to succeed. 

I think you write off our players far too easily. 

11 hours ago, 7HAR1980 said:

Best out a poor lot yet 4 of the players you mention have not had anywhere near enough game time at this level to succeed. 

I think you write off our players far too easily. 

There's a reason their not getting game time - their not up to scratch - you don't just chuck people in for the sake of it !

Who would you put in ? Sargent is the best of the rest isn't he ? We can only hope the rest will improve.

On 27/11/2021 at 09:35, Six Pack said:

There's a reason their not getting game time - their not up to scratch - you don't just chuck people in for the sake of it !

Who would you put in ? Sargent is the best of the rest isn't he ? We can only hope the rest will improve.

This little discussion is ageing very well. 

22 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

This appeared on my feed today, not seen this before....

Excellent.  🥳💯💥👍

13 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Not convinced that first touch was completely on purpose…

What else was he going to do?  First touch to make sure the ball was his, on to the chest and quick feet to flick it over the goalie. Not many would have the quickness of thought and speed of movement to do that. 

17 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

What else was he going to do?  First touch to make sure the ball was his, on to the chest and quick feet to flick it over the goalie. Not many would have the quickness of thought and speed of movement to do that. 

Looks like the ball comes flying off his foot into his stomach and then out nicely in front of him, rather than a controlled touch and then chest before the finish.

The finish itself is great and he does really to squeeze it past before the keeper gets there, don’t get me wrong, but defo a touch of fortune with the control IMO.

I love the bloke so not trying to put him down! Just how I saw it

21 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Looks like the ball comes flying off his foot into his stomach and then out nicely in front of him, rather than a controlled touch and then chest before the finish.

The finish itself is great and he does really to squeeze it past before the keeper gets there, don’t get me wrong, but defo a touch of fortune with the control IMO.

I love the bloke so not trying to put him down! Just how I saw it

I saw this clip before and had same response. A very nice goal but in terms of ball control, it's not hard to pick which is the better of the two.