cambridgeshire canary

Have we forgiven Hanley yet?

He's been, generally this season, our best CB and the stats back that up too. There's some that refuse to accept he could play in the prem (the same levelled at Mclean) yet both looked Prem level today, against what is a decent Southampton side.

• Like 1

Definitely much better in the second half, very much a form player so hopefully that goal will give him an extra boost for the upcoming games

1 hour ago, mannings bandy legs said:

I'm sorry,I really do not think Hanley is a premier league level  defender. Has an error in him every game

I actually think Kabak has been the bigger liability, his positioning is awful.

Centre back is definitely a position in need of a general upgrade next summer if we stay in this division, although what we have will be sufficient if we go down. 

I actually feel very sorry for him. Very injury prone and last season was the first time we saw much of him. As we still hadn’t seen masses of him in the PL I’ve always had belief in him, and so have never had a verdict on him in the PL. 2 weeks ago we got our first win, changed our manager, and have just won our next game as well, so maybe things are going to change?

Listening to the commentary I agree he’s made an error in just about every single game, but I also agree with TVB’s opinion that Kabak has been the bigger liability, as I think he’s made the bigger mistakes

I think Hanley had awful 60 minutes today. Maybe worst defender performance I've seen for long time. The last 30 minutes he was really good, when we had our pressing working up and he could focus on intercepting their long balls.

I think that quite often he is liability if we have to defend deep due to his lack of mobility, even though his bravery allows him to win good blocks. In such situations, I don't consider him anywhere near PL quality player. However, when we defend higher up, he is good with his well timed interceptions and has good maximum pace and well capable to succeed in that role in PL.

Interestingly I was about to say the same.  having watched game and now the highlights it’s reminded me he should’ve tackled adams for their goal, he nearly gifted them a goal with his slip, and let Theo Walcott free for the header at the end. 
However … some great blocks, a great goal and a great leader.  Just a little but of luck thank fully 

Sorry was a liability defensively most of the game . Always looks like he has a mistake in him . Great goal today but these come around every leap year . Like the guy but not premier standard .

7 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I mean I was one of the ones calling for hm to be subbed off at half time I confess 😂

Shows your complete lack of football knowledge 

The biggest problem with both the CBS Gibson and Hanley is they can't pass forward. Watch Southampton or most prem teams CB they are comfortable on the ball and happy to pass forward, ours mainly go backwards or best side to side 

14 minutes ago, Jsim1986 said:

The biggest problem with both the CBS Gibson and Hanley is they can't pass forward. Watch Southampton or most prem teams CB they are comfortable on the ball and happy to pass forward, ours mainly go backwards or best side to side 

Look at Gibson's stats for last year . 

Just now, Branston said:

Look at Gibson's stats for last year . 

Last year? Are you being silly on purpose lol 

59 minutes ago, Branston said:

Sorry was a liability defensively most of the game . Always looks like he has a mistake in him . Great goal today but these come around every leap year . Like the guy but not premier standard .

"Great" goal?

4 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I actually think Kabak has been the bigger liability, his positioning is awful.

Centre back is definitely a position in need of a general upgrade next summer if we stay in this division, although what we have will be sufficient if we go down. 

I agree. He feel he throws himself into challenges too recklessly for me.

Come on, give the guys the credit they deserve for today's win. 

Dean was clever in not changing the defence and his reward was that Hanley and Gibson played as if their lives depended on it, as he hoped they would. They couldn't have been braver or more committed. Omabamidele will be in before long because he is too good to leave on the sidelines. Not sure about Kabak. But today was about trying to build the offensive side on an experienced defensive foundation. One step at a time.

• Like 1

He owes both keepers a thank you card- Krul for bailing him out abd McCarthy for letting that header past him. 

Overall I'd be looking to replace him with Omobamidele at some point. Lots of heroic blocks don't make up for thw fact he was directly responsible for the first goal and was lucky not to have handed them a second all within 45 minutes. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I mean I was one of the ones calling for hm to be subbed off at half time I confess 😂

I thought he was carrying an injury which eased as the game evolved. Che Adams was clearly saying to his Scottish team mate in the first half “You struggling mate, I’ll arrange a sub for you” 😉😂

1 hour ago, NCFC-Palmer said:

All those criticising Hanley, how many block did he make today? I lost count. Some crucial blocks too. 

They don't see it. Same with McLean. It takes all sorts I suppose.

McCarthy had me in stitches with his flopping about for both headers, particularly Hanley's. If it wasn't for his comical performance then I doubt we'd see these calls for Hanley to retain his place in the first XI.

He's a big lad and a centre back so making blocks is one of the first things he'd learn but he doesn't have the reading of the game or positional sense to be a premier league player.

Case in point yesterday was their goal, the Krul save and Walcott's late header. And that's just from one game, we see errors like these pretty much every time he plays.

He's fine in the championship but we're above that now and to stay here this is another glaring area where we need to significantly upgrade at the earliest opportunity.