Sign in to follow this  
chicken

****The Official Lapps Match Thread v Southampton ****

When we have managed to get possession, we’ve actually done well getting it forward and looking ok. Sick of the long ball punt upfield from Krul or the defenders. It’s just coming right back again because everyone is back defending.

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Sorenson

Lees-Melou        Normann

I want to see this midfield trio given a go, bit more steel in that trio, would even be open to Rupp over Lees-Melou.

Id agree with this 100%

Gilmour looks like a kid playing mens football, even if all Chelsea fans want to tell us he's the best we have.... 

1 minute ago, Kanadyan Kanary said:

I don't disagree from a Dean Smith perspective but I would "expect" the players to be more up for it than they have been.

Unfortunately, our team aren't very good - they can't simply 'will' themselves to be better. I'm hoping, in time, that Smith can coach them to be more than the sum of their parts. 

OTBC

Sorenson

Lees-Melou        Normann

I want to see this midfield trio given a go, bit more steel in that trio, would even be open to Rupp over Lees-Melou.

I assume you mean going forward as Lungi didn't make the bench. 

We haven’t been brilliant, but one must remember, we have a new manager in the dug out, he has picked a team on merit and what he has seen on the training pitch and video player, whats out there may very well change second half and as the fixtures progress. Let’s give the man a break. He has been in situ since THURSDAY, two days before this match day!

• Like 1

Villa fans who came on here had "makes subs too late" on their list of cons for Smith.

Well at least we're plenty familiar with that

Hanley has been dire. Gilmour ok offensively, but seems to lack defensive awareness even though workrate is better than before often making wrong choices when to close down oppinent. Cantwell looking good offensively and full of energy, but also taking crazy risks on defensive half. Normann have been really invisible and without ball, I think could be key for getting better possession. Rashica and Gibson been really good.

Would maybe want to see Gilmour replaced early by PLM or Rupp to get us defensively functional. Hard to see Hanley getting subbed, even though he seems like our weakest link.

Interesting to see what Smith can adjust on half time. Expecting better 2nd half for sure.

Has Smith just picked the ones he's heard of? 

Hanley awful. Cantwell unfit. Is Gilmour actually on the pitch? Williams can't defend so may as well pick Dimi who can at least attack 

My biggest issue is leaving out Andrew O. I don't care how old he is, he's the best defender we've got. 

• Like 1

Not good so far. Pukki defending the left side of his own penalty area running backwards and forwards between two Southampton players while our defenders just stand and watch.....what's going on there?? 

2 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

Really poor performance. They look a class above - bigger, faster and stronger. 

They're playing through our midfield with ease and both fullbacks are always in space. How did we get to half time level!?! 

Hanley at fault for the first goal and really poor. Todd looks rusty and lightweight. 

Omo looks really unlucky to have lost his place... 

I mean we all called it after last time, that we're not physical or athletic enough and then we go and sign Gilmour, Lees Melou and considered McLean good enough alongside not even attempting to get in a proper holding midfielder. 

I don't know what any coach is supposed to do with this midfield. Every other team's midfield if full of tall, strong super athletes who can dribble and carry the ball, we have too many little lads who can't keep hold of the ball and panic ever time the opposition gets within 5 yards of them. 

2 minutes ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

Unfortunately, our team aren't very good - they can't simply 'will' themselves to be better. I'm hoping, in time, that Smith can coach them to be more than the sum of their parts. 

OTBC

Yea, we looked poor but that Southampton team look a cut above us and they’ll probably not even finish top half.

I think there's quite an art in looking so ragged at the back and also having nobody forward as an out ball. How can we have nobody forward and still allow their whole team space in our half?

I want to see Placheta given a go. If he has the pace he supposedly has (I don't recall seeing him burn away at any point?) then he at least offers something. 

One of Farke's biggest weaknesses for me was not being able to change things in-game. I don't mean subs so much as little tactical tweaks based on what he saw in the game.

Be interesting to see if Smith is any better in that regard. Play like that in the second half and we're getting stuffed.

• Thanks 1

Half the Scottish team is on the pitch, one side can't defend and one can't take its chances.  😂

Edited by Baracouda

Smith's done a great job you can see it already - pushing for mid table I reckon - absolute masterclass we're giving the saints.

I'd like to see us change to this pretty quickly in this game

Aarons Hanley Gibson Williams

Normann Lees-Melou

Rashica Sargent Tzolis

Pukki

Just now, Baracouda said:

Half the Scottish team is on the pitch, one side can't defend and one can't take its chances. 

Except the Scot playing for Southampton.

1 minute ago, Jsim1986 said:

Cantwell off, thank god 

Have you noticed it's Sargent on? Not sure that's an improvement! I suppose he has better physical attributes.

So comments made in commentary appears to vindicate Farkes view that Cantwell needed more time training and in the U23 to get up to game fitness?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1