Sign in to follow this  
chicken

****The Official Lapps Match Thread v Southampton ****

Just now, The Great Mass Debater said:

Im not sure 'solid' is the word Id use for that midfield

I’d rather see us carry some kind of threat tbh. Spent too many games this season trying to be solid at the expense of any kind of forward momentum or goal threat, especially evident against Chelsea who spent the entire game overrunning our midfield because their entire defence didn’t need to worry about threat we posed.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AJ said:

Usually a bit of both, 4-3-3 when in possession and 4-5-1 without is probably the most likely shapes

It might be right, as I thought Rashica had arguably his best game for us on the left. But assume Rashica right and Cantwell left. Gilmour for me should be regista or number 10. Too slight for CM

2 minutes ago, yellow_belly said:

Far better team than Farke picked. 🤞 for a win!

Very similar to the team as against Watford except - Cantwell instead of Sargent, Gibson instead of Kabak. Sargent was in for his physical presence, so we'll see how Cantwell gets on - Kabak because he is supposed to be very good - hopefully Gibson can do well there.  We were weak in midfield that day - so big day for Gilmour and Cantwell. Lets hope they deliver!

Not sure about gilmour tbh, other than that I like it, no real defensive midfielder either as Normann will roam forward 

19 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

A you got it wrong Farke line up.

We shall see.

Thing is, Farke may well have been looking for a reation from Cantwell and Gilmour which was not forthcoming. Id argue the two of them back in Farke's team without a reaction is not the same as the two of them in Smith's first team with a clean slate and a new boss to impress having 'won'

Edited by The Great Mass Debater

2 minutes ago, Haus said:

Not sure about gilmour tbh, other than that I like it, no real defensive midfielder either as Normann will roam forward 

Me too. He's like the emperors new clothes to me; everyone rates him because everyone rates him. I've never seen him play brilliantly, he's been decent but nothing special enough to warrant the praise he receives (didn't really watch him for Chelsea, but have watched a bit of Scotland).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Very similar to the team as against Watford except - Cantwell instead of Sargent, Gibson instead of Kabak. Sargent was in for his physical presence, so we'll see how Cantwell gets on - Kabak because he is supposed to be very good - hopefully Gibson can do well there.  We were weak in midfield that day - so big day for Gilmour and Cantwell. Lets hope they deliver!

Let’s hope for three points and the start of (another) good era!

(that said I am pleased that we have finally dropped Sargent and PLM.  Both may become good but neither is at the moment)

Edited by yellow_belly

1 minute ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Thing is, Farke may well have been looking for a reation from Cantwell and Gilmour which was not forthcoming. Id argue the two of them back in Farke's team without a reaction is not the same as the two of them in Smith's first team with a clean slate and a new boss to impress having 'won'

Very much this. Stinks imo. Now they are all of a sudden with a spring in their step and in the limelight, but they have their chance, so over to you, boys. Do the business.

I'd have had PLM not McLean personally. Can't really see what McLean does better, but feel that PLM disrupts the opposition more.

8 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

I think the two are a bit different tbh. Although Gilmour was dropped he’s never been out the squad entirely, so I don’t get the impression that he ever was really frozen out as such, more that Farke maybe didn’t think he fitted into the system he was choosing, which is fair enough.

Cantwell looks to have been completely out of favour tbh, missing training sessions, never in the first team squad - even the bench. Contradicting messages over being injured or not - that seems to at least be more than just Farke not seeing him in the team/system he wanted to play. 

1 minute ago, 1902 said:

I'd have had PLM not McLean personally. Can't really see what McLean does better, but feel that PLM disrupts the opposition more.

Indeed, McLean has at least one big mistake in him each game! Just cannot understand what coaches see in him, but there again I’m no coach so what do I know! 😉

Good to see Todd back in. Time for Gilmour to prove he deserves the shirt, frankly. 

AO shouldn't have been dropped but you can see Hanley/Gibson as the "safe" option, even though they're likely to give us heart palpitations at least 3 times over the 90.

1 minute ago, 1902 said:

Neither of them have done much unfortunatey. 

Sorensen not in the squad, so seems he is not Didier Deschamps after all.

Is there a reason for Kabak's omission from the match day squad? Given Zimbo is our only injury absentee now.

Just now, The Great Mass Debater said:

Neither of them have done much unfortunatey. 

Sorensen not in the squad, so seems he is not Didier Deschamps after all.

Is there a reason for Kabak's omission from the match day squad? Given Zimbo is our only injury absentee now.

Kabak has been ill recently so probably not fully up to speed.

10 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I think the two are a bit different tbh. Although Gilmour was dropped he’s never been out the squad entirely, so I don’t get the impression that he ever was really frozen out as such, more that Farke maybe didn’t think he fitted into the system he was choosing, which is fair enough.

All the Gilmour fanboys p*ssing their pants that he was 'not being given a chance'. 'Why doesnt Gilmour get a chance for Norwich? He'd be their best player!' He started our first 5-6 games. That was his chance. He was sh*t. He lost his place because he played sh*t and clearly hadnt done enough to earn his place back in Farke's opinion. Noone has a divine right to be in the team. Perhaps that was the problem. If he'd played like the 'baller' he is supposed to be he would be undroppable. Young man needed to reflect on that which Im sure is what Daniel was trying to achieve. Think sometimes Daniel was guilty of forgetting he was not managing an U23 team, whose results dont matter and the individual development of the player comes first.

Farke never gave Patrick Roberts or Marcus Edwards a chance. I suspect this was because he had his youth development head on 'ie - dont perform in training, dont get on the pitch'.

Edited by The Great Mass Debater
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, kirku said:

Good to see Todd back in. Time for Gilmour to prove he deserves the shirt, frankly. 

AO shouldn't have been dropped but you can see Hanley/Gibson as the "safe" option, even though they're likely to give us heart palpitations at least 3 times over the 90.

You never know if Omo might be too eager to please. Two experienced heads is the safe option.

4 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

All the Gilmour fanboys p*ssing their pants that he was 'not being given a chance'. He started our first 5-6 games. That was his chance. He was sh*t. He lost his place because he played sh*t and clearly hadnt done enough to earn his place back in Farke's opinion. Noone has a divine right to be in the team. Perhaps that was the problem.

Did I say he had a right to be in the team? I’m not sure whose post you are replying to but it doesn’t really seem to be much to do with mine. I only said I felt his and Todd’s situations were different as I don’t get the impression that Gilmour was frozen out, like I think Cantwell was.

He was dropped fairly for football reasons but remained training and on the bench. I reckon that doesn’t suggest the same type of falling out. That’s all.

Looking forward to seeing what that team can do but we better not concede any set pieces in our own third, that has to be the shortest combined PL XI in years (We probably held the previous record whatever it was) hopefully we've been coached well not to give away silly fouls. 

2 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

Did I say he had a right to be in the team? I’m not sure whose post you are replying to but it doesn’t really seem to be much to do with mine. I only said I felt his and Todd’s situations were different as I don’t get the impression that Gilmour was frozen out, like I think Cantwell was.

He was dropped fairly for football reasons but remained training and on the bench. I reckon that doesn’t suggest the same type of falling out. That’s all.

I wasnt directing anything at you, just quoting you as discussing Gilmour in general

So what happens if we’re four down by half time……anyone going to boo! 😉

4 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Looking forward to seeing what that team can do but we better not concede any set pieces in our own third, that has to be the shortest combined PL XI in years (We probably held the previous record whatever it was) hopefully we've been coached well not to give away silly fouls. 

Max Aarons being targeted in the last game was a bit of a worry

1 minute ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Silent emptying of the stands

Boooooooo……..nah 2-1 win today…