Sign in to follow this  
Browno

Final stages of revamping crest…

59 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Agree with you Robert and i would like to know which other supporters groups were involved to gauge who exactly were there representing their membership.

That's for them to share, but I'm sure you probably have a good idea of who would be represented.

• Like 1

Ive said it before, but I struggle to see the point of the OSP. 

Lots of cant tell you this, or discuss that, a bit of we know something you dont know. 

In my personal view it makes me feel further away from the club than before. Almost like a wedge between the club and 'other' non supporter group members. 

Im sure they will make me feel more worthy when the season ticket renewals come out. Im expecting an increase, and more so now with the new signage this revamp requires.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pete Raven said:

Those voting in our poll seem to like it.

https://preview.apester.com/media/619cfd44aeb6f0002a225de0?src=link

My old art teacher always told me thick black outlines had no place anywhere.

Some interesting comments from neutrals including "Are Norwich the first club in a long time to get a new badge right?" and someone even commenting that the addition of a lion was a nice touch which just shows how awful the old lion looked.

Tell that to Herge, (I know, you can't, he's dead) But, he made a very successful career and genre out of 'Ligne Claire'. I'm calling your art teacher out on this..

• Like 1

I'm generally against changing things if there is nothing wrong with them and to me there was nothing wrong with the old crest, but the new one does look good, so can't complain.  It's so easy to get these kinds of thing wrong, but they look as if they've got it absolutely right - they've kept all the old elements and it just looks more modern - in a good way.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Uncle Fred said:

Latest one is only 18 months old so feel cheated ☺️

Is that the one with Delia as a semi-naked dominatrix on one cheek, Michael Wynn-Jones covered in lard suggestively sucking on a lolly pop on the other, and you winking in the middle?

OTBC                                                                       

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

Is that the one with Delia as a semi-naked dominatrix on one cheek, Michael Wynn-Jones covered in lard suggestively sucking on a lolly pop on the other, and you winking in the middle?

OTBC                                                                       

When did you see my butt??! 

• Haha 1

No strong feelings either way about this design, but two questions: why announce this now and not next June?. And will that June 22 date under the shield be part of the logo, if so why? Is there an ownership change coming or some other financial or registration event happening then? 

12 minutes ago, Surfer said:

No strong feelings either way about this design, but two questions: why announce this now and not next June?. And will that June 22 date under the shield be part of the logo, if so why? Is there an ownership change coming or some other financial or registration event happening then? 

Makes sense to change the branding in the summer. I assume they're announcing it now to give people time to get used to it. It's a really common experience with logo changes for people to hate them initially (because they're so attached to the old version) but come round to it afterwards. The date under the logo is just when the branding is going to be changed, not a permanent part of the logo.

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

there was nothing wrong with the old crest

this does a pretty good job of explaining that there was plenty wrong with the old crest, especially in the digital age. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ncfcstar said:

That's for them to share, but I'm sure you probably have a good idea of who would be represented.

Oh i most certainly do and apart from the OSP and one other group who are voted upon by fans or memberships the rest of them sitting around the table do not speak for anybody other than themselves.

Edited by TIL 1010

27 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Looks fantastic

Looks a little startled to me!

But, yes ... I much prefer the detailed canary to the chubby puffin that we're being offered (but hey, it solves that burning issue that we've been crying about for decades - at least the ball sits in the centre now 😂🤦‍♂️).

A quick stab at somehow putting back some character into the new logo. Just feel its stripped out too much and straightened one too many elements that made the old (proper!) badge.

Tilted the beak up slightly, added back the angled look of the wing & put another small tail element again.

Subtle changes maybe, but not quite so jarring anymore?

Logo_New.jpg

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

OTBC                                                                       

Typo ? 🤔

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Costessey Posse said:

I made this, what do you guys think? Used Norwich coat of arms lion. I saw a few versions with 1905 (the year we went pro?) but went with 1902 instead.

Norwich Logo.jpg

This should be it. Question is when did the 1905 get changed to the stripes? 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sjb said:

This should be it. Question is when did the 1905 get changed to the stripes? 

The '1905' version of the crest was never an official version, the official version always had the 'stripes' on the ball.  This is one of the reasons why the club wanted to make the change as there were so many versions out there which were unofficial.

1 hour ago, ncfcstar said:

The '1905' version of the crest was never an official version, the official version always had the 'stripes' on the ball.  This is one of the reasons why the club wanted to make the change as there were so many versions out there which were unofficial.

You really think this new badge will put a stop to unofficial versions floating around ?

7 hours ago, Costessey Posse said:

I made this, what do you guys think? Used Norwich coat of arms lion. I saw a few versions with 1905 (the year we went pro?) but went with 1902 instead.

Norwich Logo.jpg

The explanation that Robert posted lists issues with the old badge that applies to your version too - off-centre ball, too much detail in the lion and the text would be too small to reproduce in some use cases. But it is a long way to the new one.

6 hours ago, Robert N. LiM said:

this does a pretty good job of explaining that there was plenty wrong with the old crest, especially in the digital age. 

That does explain things very well. It is growing on me I have to say, but I still think the Canary is slightly 'clumpy'.

It's happening and to be fair it's not as bad as what many of us were expecting. 

In 3 years time we'll be used to it as our crest. 

Just got to try and scrub that fricken tattoo off of my chest. (**** it hurt at the time too!) 

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

The explanation that Robert posted lists issues with the old badge that applies to your version too - off-centre ball, too much detail in the lion and the text would be too small to reproduce in some use cases. But it is a long way to the new one.

Yes the lion would need to be simplified but I'm not sold on the of-centre ball being an issue. Here's a slightly more polished version, I also made the eye round because it was weird before

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tallman said:

A quick stab at somehow putting back some character into the new logo. Just feel its stripped out too much and straightened one too many elements that made the old (proper!) badge.

Tilted the beak up slightly, added back the angled look of the wing & put another small tail element again.

Subtle changes maybe, but not quite so jarring anymore?

Logo_New.jpg

I think they should send you 500 quid and a free season ticket, say “thank you” and adopt it… your Canary is so much better

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

You really think this new badge will put a stop to unofficial versions floating around ?

No of course not, but it makes standardisation of the badge far easier than the current hand drawn version.  Which means, as we've seen, there will be one version of the badge all around the ground rather than multiple random versions, and there will be one version on our kits not the multiple variations we've seen over the years.

10 hours ago, Costessey Posse said:

Yes the lion would need to be simplified but I'm not sold on the of-centre ball being an issue. Here's a slightly more polished version, I also made the eye round because it was weird before

I think I agree with you on the off-centre ball, it’s either that or the “unbalanced Canary”. The 1902 doesn’t work for me, but then I’m not a graphic designer!

1 hour ago, ncfcstar said:

No of course not, but it makes standardisation of the badge far easier than the current hand drawn version.  Which means, as we've seen, there will be one version of the badge all around the ground rather than multiple random versions, and there will be one version on our kits not the multiple variations we've seen over the years.

So these unofficial versions of the badge around the ground and on the kits that have appeared in multiple variations over the years must have been of the club's doing then .