Sign in to follow this  
Browno

Final stages of revamping crest…

6 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

I'd be interested to know from the longer-serving fans on this board about what the reaction was to updating the crest in 1972. It was a pretty radical redesign: what did people think of it at the time?

My recollection is that we didn't have a badge on our shirts prior to the early 70's. Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong. 

I do remember the BBC did something with the canary badge in the European year. Just an ordinary canary but then it turned and roared. It was beautiful 

Edited by dylanisabaddog

3 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

My recollection is that we didn't have a badge on our shirts prior to the early 70's. Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong. 

I do remember the BBC did something with the canary badge in the European year. Just an ordinary canary but then it turned and roared. It was beautiful 

A roaring canary?

5 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Definitely had the badge by the time of the 59 cup run. No idea when it was introduced though. 

20 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

I love how it ends with the question if not now when? And my answer to that question is never 

Ending with that bell toll…. Pffft so melodramatic!

17 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

I'd be interested to know from the longer-serving fans on this board about what the reaction was to updating the crest in 1972. It was a pretty radical redesign: what did people think of it at the time?

Have wondered the same thing before myself actually. It is a lot different. I thought one day we might actually return to the old badge like some clubs do. 

16 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Wonder if @cambridgeshire canary can upload to here before the club get it on their site?  Apparently he found the image 28 minutes ago via his search algorithms, but is under um bongo so cannot reveal early.

Sexybennett is on the case 😅

Just now, Google Bot said:

What would people think if it were to go round like Chelsea/Leicester etc?

The club has hinted the crest is still there so don't think we need to panic just yet 

3 minutes ago, AJ said:

The club has hinted the crest is still there so don't think we need to panic just yet 

There really is no need to panic.

4 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

What would people think if it were to go round like Chelsea/Leicester etc?

It's not round.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

Going to have a punt - canary and ball more centered but basically the same, lion gone, castle along the top.

OTBC

nearly, lion stays, castle has a bit of an extension. Spot on with canary but more simplified

Given the choice I’d probably have kept the original but this new crest doesn’t offend me. It’ll do. Win some games and won’t give a monkeys if the canary has flown off altogether 

I think we should pull a Cardiff and fully rebrand to better appeal to the Asian market.

That'd really put the cat amongst the canaries

Just now, kirku said:

I think we should pull a Cardiff and fully rebrand to better appeal to the Asian market.

That'd really put the cat amongst the canaries

I posted this in jest just as the badge was released.

It now seems like an even more sensible option

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Really disappointed with it. It just looks like someone attempted to draw the original one on Paint and made a bang average job of it.

The only thing that looks better is the lion. The castle, canary and lack of a border are all worse.

Yeah the actual canary is the worst bit by far IMO.

• Like 1