Pugin

Who to leave out vs Southampton.

8 hours ago, Pugin said:

It's pleasant and dead easy for a manager to select players - it's delivering the news that they are left out which is hard.

I have guessed a half decent team for tomorrow, set up on a 4-4-1-1 defensive base, and I find that leaves 11 players on the sidelines.

Not starting the game would be (in no order) Dowell, Idah, Gibson, Kabak, Plachete, Kenny, Rupp, Lees-Melou, Williams, Sargent and Gunn. I would expect Todd and one other to be pencilled in for a 30/35 minute run out as consolation. But it still leaves two players not even on the bench.

My team: Krul; Max, Omabamidele, Hanley and Giannoulis. Tzolis, Gilmour, Normann and Rashica. Cantwell. Pukki.

Would love to see that 11 start 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ward 3 said:

Would love to see that 11 start 

The two SoccerBot360 leaders will get minutes tomorrow and will both play an important part in the new energetic and revitalised norwich city of the future. Bring it on. 

4 hours ago, Yobocop said:

I think the issue is more he hasn’t played so you can’t psychically Chuck him back in 

there will be a Lot of disappointed people if McLean starts as that was the motive of this thread 

Thought McLean had his best game of the season last week personally.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Thought McLean had his best game of the season last week personally.

It's an inconvenient reality that in order to defend set pieces, especially at this level where you up against teams of giants, you actually need 4 or 5 players capable of winning a header.

You stick Tzolis, Cantwell, Gilmour and Rashica along with Pukki, Max and Dimi in the team and you become sitting ducks on crosses, corners and free kicks.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

If, and it's a big if, he was frozen out (not for the reasons given) then there will have been good reasons and I would suggest/accepted by the whole squad/team. So - he has to earn his shirt back. Cantwell is not a nailed on starter.

I’m not sure that’s true, Webber said he sounded out key players before making his decision. If we are going to just randomly speculate maybe many players weren’t in agreement with how Farke was treating Cantwell. 

He lost his place in the starting lineup after the Leicester loss and the goal that wasn’t. I think that’s interesting in itself, seems to be the start of the issues but none of us know what was said or wasn’t by either party.

Regardless it’s a fresh start under Dean, that’s what he said. The only earning Cantwell needs to do, assuming he’s fit, is convince Dean he should start.

Edited by Monty13
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I was full of praise for him last season and how he buckled down to the championship after a load of speculation about possible transfers. I thought he had a great season.  So don't exagerate and I won't have to keep coming back to you and others who make innacurate comments about what I have posted or not posted.

"I've given him the benefit of the doubt SO often, I've lost count and it gets a bit difficult to make allowances after SO many times" 

This isn't exaggerating?

Cantwell only started 3 games, against Liverpool, Man City and Leicester. In those games he hade more tackles than anyone in the Prem, his work rate was the best in the team and I believe he was our Man of the Match in one game. Then he was dropped. Its ridiculous to blame him for being marginally offside in the Leicester game. Our good performances have been thanks to Norman who didn't play the first 3 games, when we had a mostly unfit team. You did moan about Cantwell last season(social media, hair, attitude) up to a point when it would be idiotic to carry on. 

Face the fact that Farke was sacked because he couldn't get the best out of the players. This thread isn't about Cantwell, I would probably leave out Dowell from a winning team Let's hope that Smith can get a performance from Gilmour that the Scotland and Chelsea managers got out of him. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, curious yellow said:

"I've given him the benefit of the doubt SO often, I've lost count and it gets a bit difficult to make allowances after SO many times" 

This isn't exaggerating?

Cantwell only started 3 games, against Liverpool, Man City and Leicester. In those games he hade more tackles than anyone in the Prem, his work rate was the best in the team and I believe he was our Man of the Match in one game. Then he was dropped. Its ridiculous to blame him for being marginally offside in the Leicester game. Our good performances have been thanks to Norman who didn't play the first 3 games, when we had a mostly unfit team. You did moan about Cantwell last season(social media, hair, attitude) up to a point when it would be idiotic to carry on. 

Face the fact that Farke was sacked because he couldn't get the best out of the players. This thread isn't about Cantwell, I would probably leave out Dowell from a winning team Let's hope that Smith can get a performance from Gilmour that the Scotland and Chelsea managers got out of him. 

Scotland yes, Chelsea, put any of our players in that squad and they’ll look good too 

19 minutes ago, curious yellow said:

You did moan about Cantwell last season(social media, hair, attitude) up to a point when it would be idiotic to carry on. 

My complaints were mainly in the PL relegation season.  The start of the following championship season, he was left out with Emi for a while for lack of focus and all I said then was that he has to get his head together and buckle down - and he did - at which point and when he started playing very effectively, I praised him at every opportunity - because he was very good. 

The only certainty regarding Cantwell is that he and NCFC cannot be considered a long-term fit.

Clearly the player has, rightly or wrongly, lofty ambitions that stretch higher than he feels that he can ever reach at Carrow Road. Whether it is fame, money or both the story is not new.  

There was clearly some friction between Cantwell and Farke, perhaps resulting from the above ambitions but with a few probable knobs on.

DF had built up a reputation for needing strict adherence to his "way" from his players. Not a bad thing except that, as time went on, he actually seemed to get more rigid and inward looking to the point of possibly cutting off his nose to spite his face on occasions.

There might be nothing in this. There are many nuances, but the number of situations with various players that were becoming difficult to quite comprehend was building up, and is, in fact now quite numerous over the seasons. 

The best thing for Cantwell is to return to action as soon as possible, play up to the level we know he can attain and make a notable contribution to our possible survival under Dean Smith.

That way he has a better chance of getting that dream move at the end of this season and the team has a better chance of playing Premier League football again next season.