Pugin

Who to leave out vs Southampton.

It's pleasant and dead easy for a manager to select players - it's delivering the news that they are left out which is hard.

I have guessed a half decent team for tomorrow, set up on a 4-4-1-1 defensive base, and I find that leaves 11 players on the sidelines.

Not starting the game would be (in no order) Dowell, Idah, Gibson, Kabak, Plachete, Kenny, Rupp, Lees-Melou, Williams, Sargent and Gunn. I would expect Todd and one other to be pencilled in for a 30/35 minute run out as consolation. But it still leaves two players not even on the bench.

My team: Krul; Max, Omabamidele, Hanley and Giannoulis. Tzolis, Gilmour, Normann and Rashica. Cantwell. Pukki.

Edited by Pugin
Correction
  • Like 1

There will certainly have to be some left out but not all the ones you have mentioned. That midfield would be overrun, Kenny, Rupp and Lees-Melou will be serious considerations.

8 minutes ago, Yellow Wal said:

There will certainly have to be some left out but not all the ones you have mentioned. That midfield would be overrun, Kenny, Rupp and Lees-Melou will be serious considerations.

We’re at home and need to win. I wouldn’t want to see more than 1 of that trio starting. 

I don't see how you can change a winning team much, if at all.  Certainly not the defence. Omobamidele and Gibson were there in our first win of the season and they imo should be the starting point of the team.   Williams and Aarons too. Normann if fit.

For all the noise around Cantwell, I wouldn't put him in the starting 11 - what has he done this season to deserve that? 

Same team as Brentford for me.

• Like 3

I don't think DS will change it much  - possibly Tzolis in for more upfront bite but it will be more a change of attitude, style and formation.

Too soon for Cantwell but if all well may get 10mins at end and Sorenson.

No Hanley doesn’t return for me, thought Gibson/ Omobamdele were outstanding and deserve to stay together.

Drop McLean for Gilmour and Dowell for Cantwell for me.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I don't see how you can change a winning team much, if at all.  Certainly not the defence. Omobamidele and Gibson were there in our first win of the season and they imo should be the starting point of the team.   Williams and Aarons too. Normann if fit.

For all the noise around Cantwell, I wouldn't put him in the starting 11 - what has he done this season to deserve that? 

Pray, tell, what has he done wrong apart from being frozen out by a manager with a history for doing just that to senior players. If you know of another reason please evidence?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, City 2nd said:

Pray, tell, what has he done wrong apart from being frozen out by a manager with a history for doing just that to senior players. If you know of another reason please evidence?

If, and it's a big if, he was frozen out (not for the reasons given) then there will have been good reasons and I would suggest/accepted by the whole squad/team. So - he has to earn his shirt back. Cantwell is not a nailed on starter.

Edited by Yellow Fever
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

If, and it's a big if, he was frozen out (not for the reasons given) then there will have been good reasons and I would suggest/accepted by the whole squad/team. So - he has to earn his shirt back. Cantwell is not a nailed on starter.

Don’t worry, Byram is now being frozen out in the Under 23’s!😉

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Its what he's capable of. Clean slate for everyone...

37 minutes ago, City 2nd said:

Let’s face it, until Todd gets his head shaved, foreswears all social media, swaps his fancy trainers for sandals and wears a monk’s habit, Lakey won’t be picking him.

• Haha 1

The ‘don’t change a winning team’ thing is all well and good, but it doesn’t really take into account where there were injuries, and it was rather “seat of the pants” stuff at times v Brentford.  For me, either Kabak or Hanley could easily start ahead of Gibson.  I’m not sure about m/f - it would be good to make room for Gilmour, he must be itching to impress.

If you seriously want to start winning you need to score goals and Todd is the best player in the squad to provide the kind of service Pukki thrives on.  Pukki is our only option scoring the goals we are going to need.  Rashica looks good as a winger but puts in crosses which are wasted on Pukki.

Lakey hates Todd would like to deprive us the only real quality still at the club,

Placheta and Idah would be the two I'd leave out, but I haven't been in training the last couple of days to see who is up for it

• Like 2

Dean Smith will probably never have a tougher team to pick.

Everyone will be desperate to be in the 11 that walk down that tunnel into the daylight. A bright new world opens up tomorrow.

2 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

I’m certainly not indicating that he is. Merely that I think Farkes omission of such a player, as he did with Leitner and Trybull , cost him his job.

1 hour ago, pete said:

Lakey hates Todd

No. He doesn't. He just wants an adult who is supposedly a footballer, to fit in with what is required so he can do what he's paid for - train properly and fight for a place in the team. Supposedly been doing that the last couple of weeks - good job too.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, City 2nd said:

I’m certainly not indicating that he is. Merely that I think Farkes omission of such a player, as he did with Leitner and Trybull , cost him his job.

Trybull was not good enough, he wasn't frozen out as such.

Leitner was (as was Oliveira) openly confrontational with the manager.  

All these little spats these players have are normally just down to inflated opinions of themselves - and this season there maybe have been a few more unhappy egos causing more trouble than usual, because they weren't getting their way. 

6 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

this season there maybe have been a few more unhappy egos causing more trouble than usual, because they weren't getting their way. 

Something i've wondered with issues like this is where the line is drawn between sporting director and head coach.

My understanding is that head coach concentrates on matchday and first team coaching, and that overall duties are handled by the sporting director.

So, surely, in the cases of any player who is apparently 'frozen' out - it couldn't have been only a Farke decision, it would have to go through Stuart.  I'd love to know if there was full agreeance on this matters, or had been a bone of contention which lead to the dismissal.

4 hours ago, City 2nd said:

I think the issue is more he hasn’t played so you can’t psychically Chuck him back in 

there will be a Lot of disappointed people if McLean starts as that was the motive of this thread 

5 hours ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Its what he's capable of. Clean slate for everyone...

I expect to see Tzolis getting a chance

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lake district canary said:

No. He doesn't. He just wants an adult who is supposedly a footballer, to fit in with what is required so he can do what he's paid for - train properly and fight for a place in the team. Supposedly been doing that the last couple of weeks - good job too.

Yes you do. You can't resist getting a dig in at every opportunity. You don't know what happened. Cantwell was certainly not worse than anyone in the games he was allowed to play. 

22 minutes ago, curious yellow said:

Yes you do. You can't resist getting a dig in at every opportunity. You don't know what happened. Cantwell was certainly not worse than anyone in the games he was allowed to play. 

Every opportunity?  I've given him the benefit of the doubt so often, I've lost count and it gets a bit difficult to make allowances after so many times.  I don't mind if he now proves he is worth it, but he has it all to do imo.

2 hours ago, Yobocop said:

I think the issue is more he hasn’t played so you can’t psychically Chuck him back in 

there will be a Lot of disappointed people if McLean starts as that was the motive of this thread 

He has played! For the U23’s. And he has trained! How is that ‘chucking him’ back in!

6 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Let’s face it, until Todd gets his head shaved, foreswears all social media, swaps his fancy trainers for sandals and wears a monk’s habit, Lakey won’t be picking him.

I would pick him on merit, the same as any player. 

But - in the five games he played in this season, we had nil points and he did not do much that was noteworthy apart from naively standing in an offside position in front of a goalkeeper which cost us a goal and maybe points. When he was out of the team, we got five points from six games.

With.....no points - without......5 points.  Same with Gilmour.

If either or both of them - or anyone else for that matter, dislike being sidelined, then all they had to do was work hard in training so they were ready for when we could relax the siege mentality the team had adopted to try and fight their way to points.

My message would be a stern one to any player. Get in there and fight your way to being picked - and when you are picked make sure you play well enough that you can't be dropped.  Too many players get away with trying to act like a tail wagging the dog. I have no time for them unless and until they show a bit of moral fibre.

25 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Every opportunity?  I've given him the benefit of the doubt so often, I've lost count and it gets a bit difficult to make allowances after so many times.  I don't mind if he now proves he is worth it, but he has it all to do imo.

What have you given him the benefit of the doubt for "so many times"? He's done more than many to get us into the Prem and has performed well at this level. There is a million other threads about Cantwell where you've had a dig. Give it a rest. 

4 minutes ago, curious yellow said:

What have you given him the benefit of the doubt for "so many times"? He's done more than many to get us into the Prem and has performed well at this level. There is a million other threads about Cantwell where you've had a dig. Give it a rest. 

I was full of praise for him last season and how he buckled down to the championship after a load of speculation about possible transfers. I thought he had a great season.  So don't exagerate and I won't have to keep coming back to you and others who make innacurate comments about what I have posted or not posted.