The Great Mass Debater

Nominations for favourite Norwich player ever?

1 minute ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Dont laugh, but I was always a massive fan of Pilks

Wasted talent 

Gunn … for being an absolute legend in goal and for everything he went through with Francesca and that bond with the fans. Read his last line in 12 canary greats … even the biggest hard man will fail to have a tear in their eye.

• Like 1

I know it’s recency bias compared to a lot of the names but the only two I could see myself voting for for “favourite” player is Holt or Wes.

Helveg and Theoklitos, Sibierski, haven't had a mention yet, wonder why?

Seriously some other names Fleming, Pacheco, Dion, safri for the Man u wonder goal alone. Huckerby, Crook, Pilkington, 

Phil Boyer was one of the few Norwich players to win a full England cap while with the Canaries. The best partnership ever with Ted McDougal in my opinion. Exciting times under John Bond.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Bali Canary said:

Phil Boyer was one of the few Norwich players to win a full England cap while with the Canaries. The best partnership ever with Ted McDougal in my opinion. Exciting times under John Bond.

Cant agree more. My favourite City pairing of all time. Must admit though that I really enjoyed watching Kenny Foggo, David Cross and Graham Paddon play. 

• Like 2

Derveld, De Waard, Diop, Louis Jean, Jarrett, Fotheringham, Theoklitos, Coney, Sheron, Abbey, Helveg, Charlton, Johansen, Francis, Benstead, Doherty, Segura, Jackson, Hughes, Fugelstad.

It’s Hoolahan

if he’d been discovered and nurtured from a younger age rather than being sidelined for his size in Ireland I honestly believe he could have played anywhere, at any level, but I’m so happy that I got to see him play so many times for Norwich

Every time I got to see him play made me happy. It wasn’t like he was playing football it was art.

On 18/11/2021 at 21:53, The Great Mass Debater said:

Polls can only have 20 options, so which 20 players should be in any poll on this forum?

Huckerby, Holt and Hoolahan Id have thought were shoe-ins. Who else should be an option?

Will have to do like 4 players from each decade fro 60s to current decade, to cover full spectrum of ages on here.

Huckerby is from the 00s and Holt and Hoolahan two from the 2010's. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

It’s Hoolahan

if he’d been discovered and nurtured from a younger age rather than being sidelined for his size in Ireland I honestly believe he could have played anywhere, at any level, but I’m so happy that I got to see him play so many times for Norwich

Every time I got to see him play made me happy. It wasn’t like he was playing football it was art.

And it was of course Paul Lambert who was the first manager to take a punt on him and bring him over to the mainland, for Livingstone, I've seen little acknowledgement of that.

He was turned down by Sunderland, Leicester, Millwall and Ipswich (which is a f*cking brilliant fact).

38 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Why only one poster has mentioned Mark Bowen is staggering. 399 appearances FFS!

He ought to easily make the top 20 and indeed probably the top 10. 

He was great player, and with us for a long time.  I suspect prolific strikers, twinkle toed wingers, whole hearted defenders, dominant play makers, and superb shot stoppers are more popular…..   to be honest honing down to a list of 20 is tough.

Did anyone mention Drinkell?   I would be tempted to short list those who won 2 player of the season awards;

Foggo Keelan Peter Drinkell Gunn

Roberts Huckerby Holt 

Paddon, Goss, MacDougall, Reeves & Justin Fashanu for me.

Paddon and Goss for their unstoppable drives, especially Goss for that one against Bayern Munich.  Asked him once if he had ever watched it back, and unbelievably, he said he hadn't, and that was some years after.

MacDougall scored the best individual goal I've ever seen at Carrow Road, against Villa when we won 5-3.  No film unfortunately, but he dispossessed a Villa player halfway in the Norwich half, went past three or four, including putting the ball to one side of one of them while he went round the other, then a low strike under the Villa keeper at the River End.  No other Norwich player involved.  No need.

Reeves - first Norwich player to get a full England cap, I believe.

Fashanu for being pure magic - and what other Norwich player has ever scored the MOTD goal of the season?  Had I been at that Liverpool game, he would have run Ted close, I think.

Edited by Jeremy Pymer

On 18/11/2021 at 16:53, The Great Mass Debater said:

Polls can only have 20 options, so which 20 players should be in any poll on this forum?

Huckerby, Holt and Hoolahan Id have thought were shoe-ins. Who else should be an option?

Nethercott. Thurlow. Ashman. McCrohan. Butler. Crowe. Crossan. Alcock. Bly. Hill. Brennan.

2 hours ago, Newtopia said:

Did anyone mention Drinkell?   I would be tempted to short list those who won 2 player of the season awards;

Foggo Keelan Peter Drinkell Gunn

Roberts Huckerby Holt 

I like your style here. Drinkell is a great shout for me too. Had one of the hardest shots and bullet type headers. Loved him during that Ken Brown inspired heyday (Biggins helped too). There used to be a poster called The Great Drinkell but he seems not about anymore (used to want to like his posts because of the name he had chosen 🙂).

Holt - a big favourite for his sheer confidence and attitude (like Fleck) and obvs for his goals. Keelan a big favourite of mine (also his attitude). I missed out on Peters as was away from Norfolk then. Seen a few videos though.

Huckerby was the most exciting, Wes for pure watching pleasure. Watson and Bruce fantastic CBs. Not seen any better defensive pairing. Played the offside trap with their eyes closed. Class.

Of the current team Teemu is up there. A great character and man.

Too many! But in the spirit of this thread my vote goes to Drinks.

• Like 1