The Great Mass Debater

Nominations for favourite Norwich player ever?

12 hours ago, Google Bot said:

How has Fleck not been mentioned?! 

I'm sure I remember Flecky jumping into the old South stand to collect the ball, and taking the throw-in while he was still in the stand. If that doesn't get you in a favourite player poll I don't see the point of such a poll to be honest.

9 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

I'm sure I remember Flecky jumping into the old South stand to collect the ball

Haha, I remember a few signals he use to do to us in the Barclay - never get away with it now.  And yes, true contender as he had a real connection with supporters, but also a performer on the field.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

I'm sure I remember Flecky jumping into the old South stand to collect the ball, and taking the throw-in while he was still in the stand. If that doesn't get you in a favourite player poll I don't see the point of such a poll to be honest.

Ha, yeah that did happen, was there that day. Can't remember anything else about the game though!

13 hours ago, Rottingdean canary said:

Well I'd like to include Colin Suggett and Jimmy Neighbour but I doubt they will be in anybody else's top 20

Suggett would be in mine.  Yesterday I put him in my 'best team' XI.

Favourite player .... 1.Peters 2. Keelan 3. MacDougall. 4. Pukki 5. Forbes

• Like 1

I see no mention of the legend that was my mate Justin Fashanu, so I will mention him ... and yes, I did know him.

Norwich City FC on Twitter: "Justin Fashanu would have been 53 today. He  scored 40 goals in 103 games for City. #ripjustin #footballvhomophobia  http://t.co/3UYTVCmrMQ" / Twitter

Edited by Numan
  • Like 3

Darren Eadie and Huckerby - most exciting (honourable mention and closely followed by Wes), but it has to be Duncan Forbes as favourite (with Tettey and Dave Stringer close behind).

21 hours ago, Rottingdean canary said:

Well I'd like to include Colin Suggett and Jimmy Neighbour but I doubt they will be in anybody else's top 20

Suggett is certainly in mine. Johnny Gavin (my boyhood favourite), Tommy Bryceland,

Kevin Keelan, Ron Davies, Ted McDougal, Martin Peters and from more recently Hucks and Wes.

Edited by ricardo

6 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Suggett is certainly in mine. Johnny Gavin (my boyhood favourite), Tommy Bryceland,

Kevin Keelan, Ron Davies, Ted McDougal, Martin Peters and from more recently Hucks and Wes.

What are your memories of Jimmy Neighbour ricardo (or anyone else who saw him play)?  I mentioned partly because he always seems to get left off lists of our best wingers .  We've certainly had some great wingers in my time watching (actually Gerry Mannion was the first of my favourites) - Kenny Foggo, Mark Barham, Dale Gordon, Ruel Fox, Eadie, Hucks et al - but as an old fashioned winger who saw his job as beating his full back and getting a good cross in for a classical tall centre forward he'd take some beating.  I don't remember him doing much tackling back or contributing much in away matches but my memories of him playing at Carrow Road was of it being almost guaranteed that he'd always be out wide on the wing, would beat his full-back, and get a great cross in. 

33 minutes ago, Rottingdean canary said:

What are your memories of Jimmy Neighbour ricardo (or anyone else who saw him play)?  I mentioned partly because he always seems to get left off lists of our best wingers .  We've certainly had some great wingers in my time watching (actually Gerry Mannion was the first of my favourites) - Kenny Foggo, Mark Barham, Dale Gordon, Ruel Fox, Eadie, Hucks et al - but as an old fashioned winger who saw his job as beating his full back and getting a good cross in for a classical tall centre forward he'd take some beating.  I don't remember him doing much tackling back or contributing much in away matches but my memories of him playing at Carrow Road was of it being almost guaranteed that he'd always be out wide on the wing, would beat his full-back, and get a great cross in. 

Yes, he was a decent player was Jimmy. We got several decent ex Spurs players in those times, Ian Crook, John Polston etc.

Johnny Gavin was my favourite winger as a boy, two good feet and decent in the air, also played centre forward a few times if memory serves. Bobby Brennan was another I forgot to mention. The crowd loved it when he nutmegged a full back and there would be a terrific roar.

Wonderful days, different sort of football but wonderful all the same.

• Thanks 1

Two very different players that I loved watching who have not had a mention would be John Deehan and Darren Eadie.  Eddie was an exceptional talent.

Got to be Robert Fleck. Will never forget his shrug of the shoulders to us when he missed a sitter against us at Stamford Bridge! Plus THAT goal vs Millwall. And read his chapter in Tales from the City. Really humbling.