Jump to content
The Great Mass Debater

What do we think will be the most notable change on Satuday?

Recommended Posts

Less tippy tappy, full backs won't bomb on as much, higher pressing, no nonsense at the back we'll row Z it if needed.

2-0 win, Cantwell and Gilmour 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, duke63 said:

Not losing hopefully.

Better to lose hopefully, than lose hopelessly though! 🙂 Small steps.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Villa fan in peace...

As requested by the opening post, my thoughts are that Deano will play 4-3-3 and as someone suggested above, he will play Cantwell on the left. So the front 3 would likely be Cantwell -- Pukki -- Rashica. He will try to get Cantwell to cause issues on the left and by doing so free up some space for Aarons to push forward and form a good right wing partnership with Rashica to get the ball into Pukki. You will also see more shots from midfielders and I expect your attempts on goal will increase. 

I am not sure about what midfielders you guys have but he will probably try and play with two DMs to try and protect the back 4 a little more. JWP has scored quite a few against us and he is a little too good with a dead ball so I expect discipline will be quite good to avoid giving free kicks. He will also want to play big CBs (if u have them) as there will be balls flying into the box. 

He will want to get off to a good start and I expect you will get a fair bit of press but not as much as he would like, he will be a tad conservative. Saints beat us 1-0 in Deano's last game so he will want to avenge that and I actually think you guys will win this game. One thing I really like about Deano is that he doesn't sit back when u go 1-0 up. He will go for the 2nd goal and his teams tend to be very good on the counter attack. 

Good luck at the weekend and I hope u get the 3 points. You next 3 fixtures are all winnable and definitely should be looking for at least a point from each. I think you will need to pick up 5+ points from those 3 games as you have Spurs, Man Utd and the visit of Villa following that. They will be a much much tougher set of games.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After such a short time here I can't see him changing a winning side much. 

Perhaps Gilmour in for Dowell. Cantwell as a sub. I wonder if he has any immediate plans for Kamara, I would put Rowe above Kamara at the moment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, VillaFan said:

I am not sure about what midfielders you guys have but he will probably try and play with two DMs

You have no idea what a can of worms you've opened up here!

Our failure to recruit even one DM in the summer has been the source of much agonising on this board.

Great post: have really enjoyed your visits here. Best of luck as the Stevie G era begins...

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, curious yellow said:

if he has any immediate plans for Kamara

Sounds like Kamara was making up the numbers in training yesterday with a few players still heading back or resting from their international duties.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, VillaFan said:

Villa fan in peace...

As requested by the opening post, my thoughts are that Deano will play 4-3-3 and as someone suggested above, he will play Cantwell on the left. So the front 3 would likely be Cantwell -- Pukki -- Rashica. He will try to get Cantwell to cause issues on the left and by doing so free up some space for Aarons to push forward and form a good right wing partnership with Rashica to get the ball into Pukki. You will also see more shots from midfielders and I expect your attempts on goal will increase. 

I am not sure about what midfielders you guys have but he will probably try and play with two DMs to try and protect the back 4 a little more. JWP has scored quite a few against us and he is a little too good with a dead ball so I expect discipline will be quite good to avoid giving free kicks. He will also want to play big CBs (if u have them) as there will be balls flying into the box. 

He will want to get off to a good start and I expect you will get a fair bit of press but not as much as he would like, he will be a tad conservative. Saints beat us 1-0 in Deano's last game so he will want to avenge that and I actually think you guys will win this game. One thing I really like about Deano is that he doesn't sit back when u go 1-0 up. He will go for the 2nd goal and his teams tend to be very good on the counter attack. 

Good luck at the weekend and I hope u get the 3 points. You next 3 fixtures are all winnable and definitely should be looking for at least a point from each. I think you will need to pick up 5+ points from those 3 games as you have Spurs, Man Utd and the visit of Villa following that. They will be a much much tougher set of games.

thanks for the input.....seems like Smiths playing style could suit us except balls flying into the box. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, VillaFan said:

Good luck at the weekend and I hope u get the 3 points. You next 3 fixtures are all winnable and definitely should be looking for at least a point from each. I think you will need to pick up 5+ points from those 3 games as you have Spurs, Man Utd and the visit of Villa following that. They will be a much much tougher set of games.

Nice.

Incidentally, Villa Fan, what club do you feel has taken the bigger risk considering their respective plights?

I can't help but feel that Gerrard's appointment could go either way, but that Smith's is the safer bet, even should relegation happen for both.

Gerrard gets much deserved praise for what he achieved at Rangers, but quite a lot of undeserved as well. Is it thus over-hyped?

He might also be more controversial, and I'm not just talking about banning red sauce, so he might not go down well at first with some established 'stars.' He'd be wise, imo,  to adopt a more softly, softly approach until he has gained some credential as a Premier League manager. This sort of thinking won't enter Smith's head, as he now has that experience.

As a City fan right now I would prefer Smith at the helm.**

As a Villa fan, I could understand your renewed optimism. Stevie G. could storm it.   

** As manager, not owner, nb.🙂

Edited by BroadstairsR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Nice.

Incidentally, Villa Fan, what club do you feel has taken the bigger risk considering their respective plights?

I can't help but feel that Gerrard's appointment could go either way, but that Smith's is the safer bet, even should relegation happen for both.

Gerrard gets much deserved praise for what he achieved at Rangers, but quite a lot of undeserved as well. Is it thus over-hyped?

He might also be more controversial, and I'm not just talking about banning red sauce, so he might not go down well at first with some established 'stars.' He'd be wise, imo,  to adopt a more softly, softly approach until he has gained some credential as a Premier League manager. This sort of thinking won't enter Smith's head, as he now has that experience.

As a City fan right now I would prefer Smith at the helm.**

As a Villa fan, I could understand your renewed optimism. Stevie G. could storm it.   

** As manager, not owner, nb.🙂

I think Villa has taken a much bigger risk. Deano has experience of a PL relegation battle and if he doesn't keep u up then he has experience of a Championship promotion. This is perfect for Norwich imo. Also, Deano is a really likeable bloke and is great at improving the whole atmosphere at the club. He makes u feel that everyone in the club is pulling in the same direction. He also plays entertaining football and can very quickly get the fans onside. Gerrard to us is very high risk. No PL experience as a manger and this is a huge job for him. As you say, his management of more high profile players may need a little patience, if he pisses off the players early on then he is screwed. If he messes this up it could ruin his chances of ever managing Liverpool so massive pressure. I am nervous but there is a little excitement as the man is a born winner and if he can reproduce anything like what he did for Rangers it could be fun. I am really not looking forward to visiting you guys. It has a Dean Smith win written all over it.

I don't mean this in any condescending way as we have just sacked Deano, but I think he is an absolutely perfect fit for Norwich and I can se him becoming a hero at Norwich. And best of all, you can keep him for a very long time as there is no risk of him leaving to join his boyhood club as he has just left it. If Stevie G gets us into top 7 and a half decent run in Europa then he will be replacing Klopp in a few years

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope Gilmour makes it as a top footballer.

But coming. But it will.not be because of his performances for Scotland as the average international football match is nowhere near the standard of the Premier league.

But 2 he has great talent it just does not fit with a lower premiership.side that needs to tighten its defence in midfield.

So the team v saints will start with the same 11 that started  v brentford. Cantwell likely to come on at some time for dowell. Gilmour may get on late in second half.

Good luck lads.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Robert N. LiM said:

You have no idea what a can of worms you've opened up here!

Our failure to recruit even one DM in the summer has been the source of much agonising on this board.

HaHaHa

I would expect to see a DM arrive in Jan so. I am assuming Dean agreed some funds for Jan 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Less playing out from the back and putting ourselves in trouble...

Smith since his Brentford days, has his teams playing out from the back....be surprised if he changed that methodology now, unless he doesn't think he has the players to do it ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Sounds like Kamara was making up the numbers in training yesterday with a few players still heading back or resting from their international duties.

Kamara is not in the U23squad tonight. Leading 1-0 at half time-Rowe scored. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/11/2021 at 17:26, Canary Jedi said:

After Dean’s trip to New York where I expect he saw the New York Nicks basketball team, I expect we’ll have ra ra girls surrounding the pitch and people running on during brief stoppages to fire t-shirts into the crowd 😀

This isn’t the mid 90 launch of sky lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As others have said, he's only taken one training session so I wouldn't expect anything too dramatic in the way of changes. I would imagine he will also be trying to tackle our defensive frailties first. Hope for a win, but ensure that we don't lose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...