The Great Mass Debater

What do we think will be the most notable change on Satuday?

With Smith now in charge and seemingly already knowledgeable about our squad, what do people expect to be the major thing we'll notice as fans as being different?

Smith seems to favour the 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 that Farke preferred (the 3 at the back was something he did to try and find the winning solution, and although its how he started his time with us I dont think it's his preferred tactic) so I dont think we'll see a major tactical shock.

Might the press be different? The defensive line different? The players more or less expressive? The defence more organised? Will we still play out from the back?

Will Cantwell and Gilmour be straight back in the side? How will he utilise Gilmour? Will Tzolis play? Sargent? How does he plan on using Rashica?

So when we start watching against Southampton, what are the main things we're going to remark on as being different? Beyond the bounce effect of impressing a new manager?

Villa fans, if you're still reading this board, your insights would be welcome.

I don't think we'll see the full backs pushing forward anywhere near as much. We aren't good enough at keeping the ball in this league for us to keep getting caught out with them upfeild when we lose it. 

Also imaging we will look to press higher up the pitch and will look to break with pace rather than slowing it down trying to keep possession, safe in the knowledge that our back four will pretty much be in place.

But what do any of us know! 🙂 

• Like 1

A return of 4-3-3, Cantwell back in the squad and us scoring some goals from open play would be nice!

After Dean’s trip to New York where I expect he saw the New York Nicks basketball team, I expect we’ll have ra ra girls surrounding the pitch and people running on during brief stoppages to fire t-shirts into the crowd 😀

• Like 1

Better press, and players in creative areas will be less crucified for losing the ball - which will result in a more positive mindset going forwards I believe.  I think it's the fear of losing possession which has become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Deep lying mids and defence will be quicker at getting the ball forward, perhaps?  I can see us finding wide areas better and looking to put the Saints on the back foot whenever possible.

Not a clue how they're planning to tighten us up defensively though, a lot of the time it just feels as though we're not good enough to stop players of quality - can't see how any improvement there could come - unless they're lifted with the new start. 

Key to his plans will be to ensure we're playing positivity and always looking a threat.  Because we've got players who can do that, they're best to be utilised.  Only way Gilmour doesn't start is if he's injured, he'll have a key role and most likely alongside someone like Normann.  again... if fit.

Edited by Google Bot
  • Like 1

I think there is more cohesion in this group than 4 weeks ago and hopefully now the group can take forward some new ideas collectively.

I agree the press has been poor at times and we have been stretched, so a more compact team. I agree that attacking with pace can be our outlet, rashica, tzolis, pukki, placheta* and Todd can all breakaway at pace and with gilmour and normann spraying the balls about that can work.

Certainly need to have that defensive base to be able to do that, so I do expect the full backs to stay back a bit more.

* I do think placheta can have some impact, he has pace to burn and if he has recovered from covid then if he is on the bench and proven himself in training then he is an outlet in that group.

The old adage the best form of defence is attack springs to mind. My Villa supporting mate wasn’t overly convinced with their defence when Smiddy was in charge and I doubt we’re going to win any awards for being tighter at the back  but we might, just might score more from open play. I think we’ll be like an upgraded version of our 19/20 side in that first half of the season. Which might bite us in the butt in the end. But at least we’ll try now!

Edited by Danke bitte

1 hour ago, Hairy Canary said:

I don't think we'll see the full backs pushing forward anywhere near as much. We aren't good enough at keeping the ball in this league for us to keep getting caught out with them upfeild when we lose it. 

Also imaging we will look to press higher up the pitch and will look to break with pace rather than slowing it down trying to keep possession, safe in the knowledge that our back four will pretty much be in place.

But what do any of us know! 🙂 

Seems about right. Not much DS can do in two days, but that seems reasonable to me.

49 minutes ago, smooth said:

I agree that attacking with pace can be our outlet, rashica, tzolis, pukki, placheta* and Todd can all breakaway at pace and with gilmour and normann spraying the balls about that can work.

This does seem the best way of getting the most out of our squad. I wish I could share your optimism about Placheta: he's seemed to me to have no assets other than pace when I've seen him. The most baffling of our recent signings.

I'd imagine, if we do see a good performance the atmosphere will be a notable change at the end of the match from the last few home games.

Sorenson becoming our midfield saviour!!!

No seriously, hopefully more defensive solidity, and quicker pressing/pushing forward. I think the 5-3-2 or 3-5-2 will go, and that will give us more spirit and creativity up front.

Is Cantwell fit enough. If so, ideally hoping to see Pukki with Rash, Todd & Tzol behind him, and perhaps Normann & Gilmour together as the two man midfield.

Thought Omo & Gibson played heroically against Brentford ans will keep their places. Maybe Williams & Aarons?

The players will be sporting Peaky Blinders style headgear for all post-match interviews.

It's preferable to the pearly king gear that Sir Frank of Lampard would have insisted on.

9 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Less playing out from the back and putting ourselves in trouble...

Given that we've been playing hoofball for the last couple of months, I can't envisage what 'less playing it out from the back' would actually look like. Indeed, I sincerely hope to see vastly more 'playing it out from the back'.

However, as he's only just met the team, I'd be extremely surprised if we don't go with something very similar to the system that we used to beat Brentford.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

No "ole's" when we win.

Just out of interest, how long this new persona of miserable Farke pining going to last?

• Like 1

A new beginning thank the Lord

chapter 2 a new beginning 

Edited by Mengo

Lots of negative posters on here being damn confused as to whom to blame/moan at should we lose. 

Certainly the theme at the presser was that of no radical changes, but that's not surprising given Smith's preference for variations on a 4-3-3. Against Brentford our 4-3-3 morphed into a 4-2-3-1 when we had the ball and moved forward in attack.

There are plenty of tweaks Smith can bring in to enhance those formations, including drills to snap back defensively more quickly when the ball is lost. He could also bring in tweaks to play the ball out of defence more quickly rather than playing safe to keep possession. It may not look drastically different, but adding a sharpness that could make all the difference.

Lineup similar, with Gilmour and Cantwell coming off the bench earlier for McLean and Dowell. Three games in a week would be a big ask for Billy and Todd lacks match fitness. If we're chasing the game, then we could see Tzolis and Idah brought on. That's my guess anyway.

Edited by Yelloow Since 72

2 hours ago, Monty13 said:

Just out of interest, how long this new persona of miserable Farke pining going to last?

It'll probably be until Dean Smith's first win